Author Topic: State champ!  (Read 4555 times)

iwuzwilson

State champ!
« on: June 01, 2015, 05:31:50 PM »
A cyclist I've been coaching for the past 6 mo just won her division (Cat 3) for the state (Colorado) cycling championships this weekend with a 3rd in the criterium and 2nd in the road race. She's well on her way to making Cat 2 this year.

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
Re: State champ!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 02:51:54 PM »
Awesome! Is she a junior or older?

iwuzwilson

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 09:36:49 AM »
Awesome! Is she a junior or older?

Older, post college. Raced for two or three years in the college club system, which I think has different rankings (ABC categories). Finished college last year and did a little bit of racing last summer and fall, and decided to step it up. I've worked with XC skiers and runners for years but she's the first cyclist.

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 10:41:51 AM »
I've heard the endurance training for cycling, XC, and running is similar so the shift to cycling makes sense.

iwuzwilson

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 12:02:20 PM »
Yes I think the principles of training are all there with those sports, just a matter of readjusting some. Cyclists can do a lot more volume for one thing.

So far it seems to be working.

iwuzwilson

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 12:50:37 PM »
Brief update on the young cyclist--

She's now Cat2 and had a couple of good races, some top 3-4 criteriums, in KS and CO. Has struggled in races with big climbs and needs to work on endurance/confidence. Going to get her to increase miles/hours and practice hill climbs.

Entered her first pro-level race, a pro criterium here (http://www.littletonrocks.com/criterium/) last week and got dropped after 10 laps, but held on for about 15/30 of 30, and finished about 40th out 60 entrants.
We went to the races an my wife is now a cycling fan!

Offline wherestheportojohn

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 08:05:10 PM »
 :bow2:
Excellent work, master and young Jedi biking knight!
On, Wisconsin

Offline tenacious1

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 08:51:31 AM »
I'm guessing there are plenty of "hills" to climb in CO. That will make the training easier.

You're going to have to take your wife to http://www.usaprocyclingchallenge.com/route. Maybe there will be a stage or two near you?

+-SUPPORT US