Author Topic: Covid to First Marathon  (Read 2577 times)

Offline DrT(weekendwrAcur)

• The Runners
Covid to First Marathon
« on: January 10, 2021, 11:16:28 AM »
Howdy!
I started posting here in November to share my training journey as I prep for my first Marathon in August. I thought I might pick up a few tips as well (which I have!)

Before I get into my training history (I may save that whole back story for another post) I thought I’d share my most immediate training challenge, and how I’m dealing with it.

On January 4, my wife and I were diagnosed with a mild case of Covid-19. Today is Day 12 since our onset of symptoms and (so far) today is my first day completely “asymptomatic”. She is still fighting a light cough and gastrointestinal troubles.

I have spent a lot of my convalescent time researching training in general, and also training after recovery from Covid. It looks like there’s a good consensus that
1. coming back gradually is important
2. Allow a week after resolution of symptoms to resume training
3. Keep the first week of actual training at roughly 50% intensity

So now with my Marathon in August that gives me all the time in the world to come back gradually and not rush things back.

But it gets more complicated... I signed up already for a Half Marathon on February 13. And I am trying to complete that event with a challenge time goal (6:00/km, or 2:06:30 for the trail half).

So as I plot my return to training... I am on the one hand being ultra-cautious about introducing intensity... while on the other hand realizing that I would need to squeeze in a couple weeks of real intensity in late January and early February if I want to achieve my time goal.

Before Covid... I had built up my distance and endurance to a point where I was ready for the half (18.5 km easy pace trail run on 20 December). But I had not yet done much intensity training at all.

So I’ve got a plan, and I’m going to take it one day at a time. Feel free to let me know if any of you all have direct or second hand experience with this that you’d like to share.

My next 5 weeks (best case scenario)—
Week 0: Easy walking, zone 0.
Week 1: moderate pace walking, zone 1. (Starts tomorrow)
Week 2: first run, and “long run day” 70% walking.
Week 3: light intensity during the week (zone 3) and first real long run (high zone 1 or low zone 2)
Week 4: some real intensity (z4/5) and a real long run (zone 2) but shorter due to upcoming race
Week 5: taper, then Race (zone 3 and maybe 25% zone 4)

Offline RioG

• The Runners
Re: Covid to First Marathon
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2021, 02:15:08 PM »
I can't help but wanted to say welcome!  There are some talented runners here who will hopefully see this and chime in.

Offline Fast Eddie

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2021, 03:13:35 PM »
5 week plan sounds reasonable. Don't know much about zone work, as I just run and race for fun and not at all that scientific.

Just prepare to be flexible. I hear Covid recovery can be up and down at times.

Good luck and welcome.   :)
Live, learn, have amazing sex, and move on!!  :D - floridagal

Offline chqm8

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 07:07:10 AM »
Im just a middle aged recreational jogger but welcome and good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chqm8= 'checkmate'

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2021, 12:25:39 PM »
Thanks y’all for the support!

The structured training I’ve done using heart rate and power zones is something that’s worked well for me in other sports, especially cycling.

It should be a good tool to keep me from getting “too eager too quickly” as I ease back in to things. And help me to make sure that week one is not really “training” but just active recovery.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

• I really have a life. It's around here someplace....
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 11:57:19 AM »
You don't really need much zone 4-5 for a half marathon, especially for a build-up race barely a month after having Covid. Just run and maybe do a couple of threshold (usually defined as Zone 3) workouts leading up to the race and a set of pick ups (such as 5-8X 20 seconds with 1+ minute recovery) once a week after your first week.
If you are cleared and symptom free, you can start running earlier than week 2. Go by feel. Walk-jog the first couple of days.
I'll stick to running, thank you.

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2021, 06:38:41 PM »
Funny you posted this when you did, at the time I was probably out walking and starting to think “do I really need the zone 4/5 stuff?”

I really appreciate the sanity check on this... and I’ve dialed it back accordingly.

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2021, 08:54:36 PM »
Thought I’d post an update here since I’m four weeks in this six week program (0 thru 5).

I have been taking it carefully and religiously limiting my heart rates... but that said I actually think I’m slightly ahead of track.

Made yesterday’s long run slightly longer than planned so I can go straight into a bit of a taper. By distance I covered 2/3 of the half marathon distance and by time probably 80%.

I’m lucky to report no recurrence of any symptoms. I might recover a bit slower now, but most of the impact to my speed has most likely been to lost fitness from missed training time.

Cautiously optimistic now for my prospects with just 12 days to go until race day!

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2021, 08:58:40 PM »
I don't know if you're a re-runner to this place or if you somehow found it on the interwebs but I like seeing your updates.  Welcome :)

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2021, 01:37:46 PM »
I don't know if you're a re-runner to this place or if you somehow found it on the interwebs but I like seeing your updates.  Welcome :)
Thanks, I just stumbled across it last fall looking for somewhere to go on about running a little more than those in my house want to hear...

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2021, 04:26:25 PM »
Thanks, I just stumbled across it last fall looking for somewhere to go on about running a little more than those in my house want to hear...
Glad you found it!

I've been inspired to run again too, and am really enjoying it.

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2021, 08:21:08 PM »
First off, I’m very thankful to have survived Covid and to have only had a mild case.

I think I can now also say I’m thankful to have made a full recovery, both from Covid and from the 3-4 week gap in training. My metrics say I’m back to my December levels again, and my technical running has continued to improve.

My near term goal race is just three days out now and I definitely feel ready. It will only be my third half marathon “in competition” but... let’s go do this!!!

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2021, 04:44:47 PM »
Glad your recovery is going so well.  Good luck this weekend!  Which race?
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2021, 05:18:57 AM »
Rocky 50 Trail Run Half Marathon.
It’s held in conjunction with a series of Ultras in south East Texas.

It’s pretty flat, I expect under 200m of climbing (<1%), and not too technical, but quite a few exposed roots.

200 runners entered. Forecast is overcast and just over freezing.
My goal is to finish top-30 with a solid age group placement. And to average a sub-6:00/km.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2021, 09:30:03 PM »
How did it go?
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2021, 10:24:03 PM »
How did it go?
A lot of positives!

1. PR for Half Marathon (2:14:00) and at several other distances, including my first sub-hour 10K at 58:27.

2. Possibly new course record for my age. This is only the third year they’ve offered this distance but I’ll take it! The guy who would have been favored to set this record was registered but decided not to start. Lots of DNS due to the cold weather.

3. I haven’t seen a sustained HR this high since maybe 15-20 years ago when I ran a few 8-mile Turkey Trots as one-off cross training runs from cycling. This means that I was probably training at too easy of an effort this winter, but that I may have even more potential upside to my fitness and race performance for later in the year.

4. Improved my qualified start wave for my August target race by at least two groups.

5. My cadence start-to-finish was high and stayed high (I had to push to keep it up at the end)

Lots of areas to improve, too. (Nutrition was good but could use a little more, power drops due to fatigue, plus I fell and tripped once <yay, trail running!>)

Overall had a blast despite a couple setbacks and I’m looking forward to the next goal(s)!

And since I’m convinced I’m “over” Covid... I will probably start a new thread for the next phase of my training journey :)

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2021, 04:57:54 PM »
Well congratulations.  Great job!

+-SUPPORT US