Author Topic: Taco dinner  (Read 7100 times)

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
Taco dinner
« on: March 09, 2014, 03:08:50 PM »
Oh Lord! DH wants me to do a taco dinner (taco bar, kind of) for two of his co-workers/friends. One is Spanish and one is a vegetarian. I told him I didn't want to make Mexican food for a Spanish guy. I know, I know, two totally different things, but you know what I mean. He said I was definitely from alabama! lol

Anyways, How Do I make a nice looking taco dinner? For us I usually just throw some simple stuff together.
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
Re: Taco dinner
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 03:19:03 PM »
The nice thing is that is easy to work in with the vegetarian! Do they eat dairy? I would envision a buffet setup with the taco shells or tortilla (soft or hard?), then dishes of cut up lettuce, cheese, pico de gallo or just tomatoes. Then you could fancy it up with additional sides or toppings, like some kind of guac, sour cream, corn salsa, refried beans or just some other kind of beans (but made veggie, so they work as a protein for the vegetarian). I usually make the ground beef with packet o'seasoning for a basic taco dinner, but to make it nicer you could find some way to make shredded seasoned chicken or something, or even steak. There are loads of ideas online for making your own taco seasoning with spices, etc. I think it would be fun, and definitely nice enough for company! You could even make a colorful rice for a side dish if you wanted to fill it out more - I usually cheat and just make rice and throw in salsa and corn, but you could find a nicer "from scratch" way to do that, I'm sure!
This space for rent.

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 03:20:06 PM »
Or, you could totally go the other way and do fish tacos, with pickled onions, cabbage slaw, spicy sour cream made with adobo chilies, etc. Sides like corn salsa/salad, guac, etc. That is another kind of nice taco dinner altogether! Lighter, in some ways, I think.

And now I am hungry.  :D
This space for rent.

Offline fancypants

• The Runners
    • Unanswered Flurry
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 03:28:24 PM »
Taco bar is the easiest most versatile thing in my repertoire. Corn, beans, chicken beef of fish, lettuce, cheese, guacamole, olives, roasted veggies, tomatoes.  Of course, my family doesn't get the entire bar unless we have guests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't have time for laundry; I'm trying to have a great life.

http://herheiness.wordpress.com/

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 03:46:43 PM »
Thanks y'all!
Cgraz I've made fish tacos once and I wasn't crazy about them. Not sure if it was my cooking or that I don't like them. I need to try them in a restaraunt when we go home this summer so I know how they're supposed to taste. Lol.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 05:44:57 PM »
beans would be easy-- either refried (i could give you an easy recipe if you want, esp if you could not find canned vegetarian refried beans) or black beans seasoned with taco-ish seasonings.

bowls with the toppings-- guac, sour cream, cheese, salsa, lettuce, etc. You can have soft and hard shells as well.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline CheryG

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 06:25:31 PM »
This is the beef taco recipe I use.  I substitute 1/2 a boullion cube  and some water for the chicken stock.  (and I omit the cayenne, because that sh!t is stupid.  :P)

http://www.food.com/recipe/americas-test-kitchen-beef-tacos-314504
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 06:29:14 PM by CheryG »

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 07:23:07 PM »
I'd like the refried beans recipe.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 08:58:05 PM »
I have made it with black and kidney beans. http://www.thevegancrew.com/?p=7697
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• Passed on to another Brane
  • has no fucks to give
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 07:21:55 AM »
One of the things I learned about refried beans is the procedure makes a difference... Basically you want to add your beans to pan with about a third of liquid... Wait until beans are easily mashed and mash and add another third... Once that mostly dries, add the rest of the liquid... They're done when they reach your desired consistency.
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 05:42:44 PM »
Thanks y'all! Whenever I do it I'll let y'all know how it turned out.

Offline gebuh

• The Runners
  • don't worry, I'm a doctor
    • cycle touring
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2014, 07:29:26 PM »
I just made this stuff tonight, I didn't cook the rice with the beans, just let the person mix them together, it came out really well.
I used roasted serrano chilis instead of jalepenos, added green onions, roasted the cumin and added extra and extra garlic.
I put out diced onions, sharp cheddar and lettuce to dress it with.  I wanted to add avocado, but somebody beat me to it and they were all gone.
It was really good.

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2012/03/burritos-with-spanish-rice-and-black-beans.html

Offline triciaflower

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 12:21:58 AM »
Now I want tacos.

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 11:26:34 AM »
This space for rent.

Offline triciaflower

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2014, 05:55:42 PM »
Haha! I DO live in San Antonio, the taco capital of the U.S.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2014, 10:44:16 PM »
Tricia, do you know about this book?  It's really, really amazing.

http://www.amazon.com/Dragons-Love-Tacos-Adam-Rubin/dp/0803736800
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2014, 11:16:36 AM »
I like these taco lentils as an alternative to plain beans for the vegetarians. They are pretty easy peasy. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Spiced-Lentil-Tacos-351390

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2014, 08:38:37 AM »
That looks good RA!

Offline triciaflower

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2014, 11:04:23 PM »
OMG Diablita! I'm going to find that book.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2014, 07:42:10 PM »
It's SO good.  He has others and they're cute, but this one is the best.

+-SUPPORT US