Author Topic: Thanksgiving decisions.  (Read 10537 times)

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
Thanksgiving decisions.
« on: November 23, 2013, 07:09:48 AM »
I have stuff to bring to potluck dinner as well as vegetarian options for the veggies that will be there, but i am so indecisive and with cooking all the veg food for DD's school's feast, I do not have time to try multiple things and decide.

I wanted to make something sweet potato

http://www.eatliverun.com/spicy-lentils-with-sweet-potatoes-and-kale/
http://www.bloglovin.com/frame?post=1898737363&group=0&frame_type=a&blog=3322938&link=aHR0cDovL2JhbGFuY2VkcGxhdHRlci5jb20vd2lsZC1yaWNlLXN3ZWV0LXBvdGF0by1zYWxhZC13aXRoLXBlcGl0YXMv&frame=1&click=0&user=0
http://www.homesicktexan.com/2011/11/sweet-potato-salad-cranberries-and.html

The second and third of those are my top choices of the three. The third was the original, but the second came up on pinterest last night.

I need to bring a "green" side dish, so is there anything wrong with a veg version of green bean casserole?? :D

I need to bring an appetizer, was thinking hummus, chips, veggie, dips. Minimize the cooking i need to do. OR chips, salsa and this http://www.namelymarly.com/2013/10/sweet-potato-seven-layer-dip/ (or a variation on it)

And dessert. Le sigh. What to make? so many options.
and i am only going to bring dessert so secretly i will have something vegan and gluten free to eat.
pumpkin cake? pumpkin pie? gingerbread cake?

Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
Re: Thanksgiving decisions.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 06:12:07 AM »
no pity post?  :'(

i was asked to make pumpkin pie, so that one was decided for me. Veggie tray for appetizer requested as well.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 07:24:12 AM »
I would lean toward the lentil and kale one because I think sweet potatoes are sweet enough without adding cranberries (I have never been able to find unsweetened dried cranberry, even at organic and health food stores).

I can't talk about green bean casserole without fuming.  What about something simpler like green beans steamed and tossed with olive oil, garlic , lemon juice and a wee bit of lemon zest?   Ooooh, or tossed with a couple tbsp of black olive tapanade? Or roasted brussel sprouts?  For fanciness, balsamic-roasted brussel sprouts. 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 08:01:17 AM »
I was thinking brussel sprouts, but it is going to have to be cooked in advance and transported to the meal a few hours away and reheated and overcooked brussel sprouts are not my favorite.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 08:06:37 AM »
maybe marinated brussel sprouts... can be done ahead, can be served at room temp or heated up

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 08:24:07 AM »
or maybe a shaved brussel sprout salad.........

Offline redkitty

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 08:41:43 AM »
I see that you are making a pumpkin pie. Too bad, I have a flourless chocolate cake recipe that looks awesome. You would have to modify it to make it vegan, though (chocolate chips and butter.)

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 10:12:29 AM »
gimme gimme, i have vegan choc chips AND vegan butter :D

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 11:24:17 AM »
no pity post?  :'(

i was asked to make pumpkin pie, so that one was decided for me. Veggie tray for appetizer requested as well.

sweet potato pie has a much nicer texture, but still has the same taste...  <hint>

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 01:50:33 PM »
I am one of those people who can only eat savory sweet potatoes. I may try a trial run of the sweet potato salad today if i can convince DD to go to the local natural food store after school. If I had more time (as in none of that pesky job thing) i would go to the farm down the street and get a crook neck for the pie, but alas, i bought a box of "pumpkin."

Offline redkitty

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 01:56:15 PM »
here it is.  I find it ironic that a flourless cake recipe is on the King Arthur Flour website.  :D

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/flourless-chocolate-cake-recipe

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 02:11:04 PM »
here it is.  I find it ironic that a flourless cake recipe is on the King Arthur Flour website.  :D

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/flourless-chocolate-cake-recipe
looks good, but i cannot eat eggs, but will forward along to my SIL who has celiac :)

Offline redkitty

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 02:23:27 PM »
Didn't even notice there were eggs in it. Clearly i was paying attn...good thing you pointed that out as I plan on making this tomorrow. I think I have eggs.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 07:44:33 PM »
Hmmm, Brussels sprouts.  Now we are talking.

Offline mango

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 05:43:55 AM »
Brussels sprouts.
two recipes from David Chang (whom I adore):

Chang-Style Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Sriracha

Momofuku's Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Fish Sauce Vinaigrette

neither would work for merigayle (sorry), but for others who might be interested.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 06:40:40 AM »
neither of them vegan, but thanks for sharing. Sounds like something they were discussing on Martha Stewart radio.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2013, 07:20:54 AM »
two recipes from David Chang (whom I adore):

Chang-Style Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Sriracha

Momofuku's Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Fish Sauce Vinaigrette

neither would work for merigayle (sorry), but for others who might be interested.

will have to try these!

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2013, 08:28:54 AM »
I am going to make that fish sauce one  :drooling-5:
Because PANTS

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2013, 10:43:31 AM »
I generally only like sweet potatoes savory but my mom makes an amaretto sweet potato dish that is awesome (but not sugary...my parents don't eat sugar)

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2013, 11:34:50 AM »
so i made a mini batch of the sweet potato salad and left out the pecans because i do not like them and it was tasty. Like a potato salad, but sweet potato and cranberries, which were not too bad because of the mayo and curry. I used Veganaise.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2013, 12:01:55 PM »
haters gonna hate, but i just made a veganized version of this, including a double batch of the fried onions (dredged in brown rice flour) and I can't wait to eat it Thursday! http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2013/11/12/recipe-green-bean-casserole-french-fried-onions/comment-page-2/#comments

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2013, 02:40:41 PM »
haters gonna hate, but i just made a veganized version of this, including a double batch of the fried onions (dredged in brown rice flour) and I can't wait to eat it Thursday! http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2013/11/12/recipe-green-bean-casserole-french-fried-onions/comment-page-2/#comments

Is this a subtle way of starting the annual green bean casserole argument? :D

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2013, 02:44:52 PM »
Is this a subtle way of starting the annual green bean casserole argument? :D
:sneaking:

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2013, 08:35:30 PM »

If you used fresh green beans and onions what you made may be good but it is not green bean casserole.  :P

+-SUPPORT US