Author Topic: greek yogurt instead of mayo  (Read 13188 times)

Offline diablita

• The Runners
Re: greek yogurt instead of mayo
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2013, 09:45:46 PM »
raw egg for me?  no problem.  raw egg for my child?  no way.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline pfunksbn

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2013, 05:32:14 AM »

make your own or maybe use butter instead?  I think butter would give that rich mouth feel to replace mayo.  Greek yogurt is going to be tangy and watery and will change the sandwich experience.

Butter us the only condiment DH will eat on a sandwich.  It's a Brit thing.  I asked MIL to throw together a PBJ for DD once and I caught her putting butter on UNDERNEATH the PB.  I wasn't so sure about how that would taste, but butter goes well with most lunch meats and (of course) cheese.
Puppet-free since 09/21/05.

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2013, 06:35:31 AM »
Butter us the only condiment DH will eat on a sandwich.  It's a Brit thing.  I asked MIL to throw together a PBJ for DD once and I caught her putting butter on UNDERNEATH the PB.  I wasn't so sure about how that would taste, but butter goes well with most lunch meats and (of course) cheese.

that's funny... I hate butter on bread with cheese or meat or soups of any sort, but I love toast with butter and peanutbutter.

Online ihop

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2013, 09:58:44 AM »

My dad would sometime butter the bread before making us PB&Js. 
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2013, 10:04:53 AM »
You can rarely go wrong with butter, IME
Because PANTS

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2013, 10:08:04 AM »
My dad would sometime butter the bread before making us PB&Js.

My dad would always do that.  I can't remember him making any kind of sandwich without buttering the bread first.  I never thought about it as a British thing, but there's probably something to that.  We also had to have bread and butter on the dinner table every night.  Seems weird now. 

Offline Virginia Plain

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2013, 02:45:54 PM »
You could pasteurize your egg before you make mayo.  I probably wouldn't bother because I'm not overly concerned (I generally eat more cookie dough than gets made into cookies!) but if raw egg squicks you out this might be worth a try:

http://bakingbites.com/2011/03/how-to-pasteurize-eggs-at-home/

That's why I won't make my own.  I'm not going to pasteurize the eggs.  And I've just always told myself that the eggs in the store bought mayo are pastureized, whiich is how I can eat it.
Then, it's just the ol' squat, catch and pitch...--Makeda

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2013, 04:52:30 PM »

My family puts butter on jam sandwiches, too.  I grew up doing that.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2013, 08:44:07 PM »
I've eaten butter and jam on toast, so seems logical.  We also eat cream cheese and jelly.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Online ihop

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2013, 11:40:35 AM »
We also eat cream cheese and jelly.

Yes!  Yum!
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline Virginia Plain

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2013, 01:42:08 PM »
so the plain greek w/a bit of mustard is ok on a sandy.  Can barely taste the yogurt at all. 
Then, it's just the ol' squat, catch and pitch...--Makeda

Offline all-smiles

• The Runners
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2013, 05:21:22 PM »
You can buy past. eggs for making your own mayo; i guess my risk tolerance is just different because I also let my kiddos eat cookie/cake batter with raw eggs
Sufficient unto the day is one baby. As long as you are in your right mind don't you ever pray for twins. Twins amount to a permanent riot; and there ain't any real difference between triplets and a insurrection.
- Mark Twain

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2013, 07:08:08 PM »
I'm too nervous.  It would be better if I weren't.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2013, 08:14:41 PM »
Whatever they do to sterilize eggs in this country, it must be pretty effective.  I've eaten a lot of raw and undercooked eggs.  A whole lot.  As far as I know, there have been zero ill effects. 

+-SUPPORT US