Author Topic: what's on the table these days?  (Read 8632 times)

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
what's on the table these days?
« on: May 10, 2013, 11:21:24 AM »
what's your go-to meal these days?  favourite new find?  reliable classic you forgot about but pulled out recently?

I'm feeling in a rut.

Offline Clementine

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
Re: what's on the table these days?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 12:59:52 PM »
I made a Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie adapted from the recipe on the back of my box of Simple Truth (Kroger's organic brand) Vegetable Broth. It was delicious and the boyfriend (a meat-eater) went back for thirds, then took the leftovers for lunch two days this week. Win!

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 01:30:27 PM »
I made a Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie adapted from the recipe on the back of my box of Simple Truth (Kroger's organic brand) Vegetable Broth. It was delicious and the boyfriend (a meat-eater) went back for thirds, then took the leftovers for lunch two days this week. Win!

Well, how about the recipe?  Take a picture of the recipe on the box???

Offline Clementine

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 01:36:41 PM »
Well, how about the recipe?  Take a picture of the recipe on the box???

I don't have it on me right now and will be out-of-town this weekend, but will post it as soon as I get back!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 01:37:28 PM »
One of my favorite summer salads made its first appearance this week: cukes & green peppers cut in fine dice (you can also finely chop romaine and/or avocado if you're so inclined), feta cheese, sliced green onions, chopped fresh dill & mint (lots!) tossed with lime juice and a little olive oil. YUM!!

I am on an eggs & veggies kick. Yesterday I made a greek-ish omellete that was stuffed with kale, asparagus, dill, garlic, kalmata olives, pickled jalapenos, & feta. Also super duper yummy!

Lots of grilled veggies.

Over easy eggs over grilled green onions (charged and soft)

Offline redkitty

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 03:02:44 PM »
I am also in a rut so anxiously waiting to here from others. But tonight I think I am making a creamy Parmesan sauce to go on pasta. I call it the poor man's alfredo (it probably has a real name, but as I just "made it up" one day on my own I have no idea what it is.)  It is essentially alfredo sauce, but I do not use cream. I use 1% milk. I  also use a ton of garlic because I love garlic.  I do not like creamy sauces, so this is somewhat thick.  you need to scoop it onto the pasta, you can't pour it over the pasta...though if you wanted to, you could just use more milk.  I can get the sauce done while the pasta is cooking, so it is nice, fast, easy meal.

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 03:29:22 PM »
Oven chicken fajitas is my go-to lately.  Slice up an onion, a couple of peppers, and two chicken breasts.  Drizzle with a couple of tablespoons of vegetable oil and sprinkle with fajita seasoning (I make my own with garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, pepper, and a bit of salt).  I do this in a bowl, but you could do it directly in the pan/cookie sheet.  Two chicken breasts and two peppers fits in a 9x13 pan, if you're feeding more people than that you'll probably want to put it on a cookie sheet.  Bake at 425 for 45 minutes, stirring halfway through.  When it all comes out of the oven, squeeze the juice of a lime over everything.  Serve with tortillas (if you want) and your favorite toppings.  I like sour cream, kenyan likes guac.

Offline wherestheportojohn

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 03:39:11 PM »
Once a week, I do boneless/skinless chicken thighs:

In a ziploc, i Marinate thighs in spicy mustard (something like Koop's horseradish dijon mustard) for at least an hour. Discard bag/mustard at next step.
Roll in a mixture of seasoned italian breadcrumbs,  Panko breadcrumbs, and a few red pepper flakes for more kick.
Place on cookie sheet.
Spritz each thigh with olive oil (not necessary, but it gives nice crispy color)
Bake at 450 for 20 min, then lower temp to 425 for another 5-10 min.

I serve ours either with baked sweet potatoes or (for me) forbidden rice....dh gets brown rice mixture. And some sort of salad or grilled veggies.
On, Wisconsin

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 04:43:42 PM »
I think the past 4 weeks I have made a roasted vegetable curry, yum
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 07:38:02 PM »
Rotisserie chicken.   Eaten standing up at the counter. 
"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

Offline seattlegirl

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2013, 05:58:42 PM »
Rotisserie chicken.   Eaten standing up at the counter. 

:D

Offline crazypants

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 10:29:36 AM »
I started making a really interesting and delicious meal recently.
I cook some arborio rice and a pile of veggies (zucchini, yellow or orange peppers and parsnips, sometimes some broccoli).
I take a chicken breast cut into 5 pieces and bread very lightly with bread crumbs (no flavored breadcrumbs, no panko. Just normal, subtle breadcrumbs).
I heat a pan add a bit of olive oil, add onion and then toss in the chicken and flip the pieces half way through. When it's done, I remove the chicken, leave in the cooked onion and remaining oil and reduce the heat to midpoint. I add a clove of minced garlic, 1/2 cup of vegetable broth, 2 table spoons of red wine vinegar, a bit of honey, and 2-3 tablespoons of saucing flour, and stir for 2 minutes. Then drizzle it over the chicken, veggies and rice.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2013, 10:34:52 AM »
cooked pasta
diced turkey pepperoni
diced provolone
fresh peas and/or broccoli and/or asparagus and/or tomato
dressing of your choice (i've been using caesar)

serve cold

Offline crazypants

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2013, 10:48:36 AM »
Witchy- What pasta are you using? Shells? Macaroni? Rotini? Fusilli?

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2013, 11:17:34 AM »
usually whatever i have on hand that can stand up to those ingredients - penne, cavatappi, fiori, cavatelli.

Offline crazypants

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2013, 11:20:50 AM »
:ok: Sounds delicious.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2013, 04:19:26 PM »
Tonight I'm envisioning some sort of casserole. I have leftover chicken from yesterday's roast and some pasta and will come up with the rest when I can review the contents of my fridge.

Boring!

What do you guys do with leftover chicken?

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2013, 08:53:35 PM »
It wasn't left over, but last week I bought a rotisserie chicken and used it mainly for wraps with the chicken, bacon, avocado, lettuce, and tomato.  They were hella good.  I still have a little bit of chicken left and I'll probably use it in enchiladas.

Offline gebuh

• The Runners
  • don't worry, I'm a doctor
    • cycle touring
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 05:43:50 PM »
I made this last week - easy and super delicious, though it requires planning for the tomatoes and I don't have a good substitute for pimiento de padron peppers.
I can't find the recipe online.
Oven baked tomatoes (roma tomatoes cut out the stem and cut in half, sprinkle with kosher salt, bake on a cookie sheet at 250 for 5 hours, yes that's a long time but these things are totally delish and you can do it overnight)
block of barrel aged feta cheese
olives coated with olive oil (I used a mixture of kalamata and green)
whole pimiento de padron peppers - I used jalapeno, I'll try serranos next time - fried for a few minutes in olive oil til they almost blister
fresh mint, fresh oregano chopped finely

Put the feta in the center of a large platter, break it up into eating sized pieces
surround the feta with the baked tomatoes
layer the olives and the peppers on top of the tomatoes
sprinkle the chopped herbs on top of that
drizzle the feta with a good quality olive oil

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2013, 08:11:10 PM »
gebuh, that sounds crazy good!  We can get fabulous Greek pita and taramosalata at a little shop nearby.  I'm making it this weekend!
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

+-SUPPORT US