Author Topic: WW question  (Read 11635 times)

Offline RioG

• The Runners
WW question
« on: April 18, 2013, 05:42:09 PM »
so I was building a recipe... put in applesauce, which is 0 points.  But without adding any other ingredients the recipe was worth 3 points.

how is that?

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
Re: WW question
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 06:14:30 PM »
because it is probably just going off the nutritional information?
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 07:01:31 PM »
No it's the same applesauce item that would be worth 0 points if eaten alone.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 08:25:55 PM »
Even if you went solely by nutritional info?
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 08:37:01 PM »
As soon as you use the fruit in a recipe it is no longer zero points.

Only fruit by itself is zero points.

http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=108831&sc=3002

This link also alludes to why smoothies aren't zero points...because as soon as you start mixing ingredients together with the fruit the fruit counts.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 08:40:23 PM by Magic Microbe »

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 08:52:59 PM »
As soon as you use the fruit in a recipe it is no longer zero points.

Only fruit by itself is zero points.

http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=108831&sc=3002

This link also alludes to why smoothies aren't zero points...because as soon as you start mixing ingredients together with the fruit the fruit counts.

Yeah, I found the definition... but it just doesn't make sense.  So if I eat an apple, it's 0.  then 10 minutes later I eat an orange, it's 0.  But blend the two up together and it's 3 points?

I just feel like I'm somehow cheating if I eat them separately, and/or being unfairly penalized by putting them together. :D

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 09:25:47 PM »
The theory is that the latter is far easier to overeat than the former.

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 10:21:57 PM »

ah, I see

Offline Courtney

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 11:02:18 PM »
Also any time you put 0 point things in a recipe, they go straight on the nutritional info counts, so they aren't 0 any more.n

Offline all-smiles

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 11:29:41 PM »
Well I see they've already explained it :). I have to say I signed up for the trial but will probably cancel; I find the myfitnesspal tracking to be way more user-friendly than WW. Plus the MFP database is way bigger and better; so I'm torn but will decide over the next few days :-\
Sufficient unto the day is one baby. As long as you are in your right mind don't you ever pray for twins. Twins amount to a permanent riot; and there ain't any real difference between triplets and a insurrection.
- Mark Twain

Offline leggova

• The Runners
  • When did my wild oats turn to prunes and all bran?
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 01:46:46 AM »
The thing that I don't like about things like my fitness pal is that it is so much easier to keep track if you eat packaged foods. You can just scan it in. But if you eat a lot of varied recipes of "real" food it is a lot more time consuming. Kind of defeats the purpose of trying to encourage you to eat well.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28991768@N00/

"A life, Jimmy. You know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come."

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 07:09:44 AM »
The thing that I don't like about things like my fitness pal is that it is so much easier to keep track if you eat packaged foods. You can just scan it in. But if you eat a lot of varied recipes of "real" food it is a lot more time consuming. Kind of defeats the purpose of trying to encourage you to eat well.
i manually add up all the ingredients in a recipe on a recipe calculator on line and then divide by portions, i generally am the only one eating the food, so i figure in the end, all the calories are accounted for :D

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 07:20:23 AM »

And it teaches you to eat fruit and vegetables in their basic form.
Apple without sweetener = free
Apple sauce with sweetener = points

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 08:08:01 AM »
but my applesauce that i buy has no sweetener in it.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 12:00:18 PM »

I also think that you can eat 4 apples worth of apple sauce without even really thinkg about it. Where as actually eating 4 apples is a little more time consuming.

Offline Clementine

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2013, 01:01:41 PM »
i manually add up all the ingredients in a recipe on a recipe calculator on line and then divide by portions, i generally am the only one eating the food, so i figure in the end, all the calories are accounted for :D

You can also just use the My Recipes part of MFP to do this automatically. Then, if you tweak the recipe a bit later, it's easy to go back and modify it.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2013, 03:11:24 PM »
I also think that you can eat 4 apples worth of apple sauce without even really thinkg about it. Where as actually eating 4 apples is a little more time consuming.

Yep.

Offline Courtney

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2013, 03:21:11 PM »
When I use the recipe builder, I leave out the 0 point stuff.  So, if I'm making soup, I leave out the tomatoes, onions, peppers, etc and put them in the notes, not as ingredients. 

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2013, 04:39:48 PM »
When I use the recipe builder, I leave out the 0 point stuff.  So, if I'm making soup, I leave out the tomatoes, onions, peppers, etc and put them in the notes, not as ingredients. 

Cheater.    :P

Offline all-smiles

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2013, 08:14:10 PM »
Yeah I ended up canceling WW under the 2 week guarantee; I just found the platform way too clunky compared to MFP.  And I think the recipe builder on MFP is super easy to use so I already have a good bit put in there.  Getting an actual food scale has been eye opening for sure :e)
Sufficient unto the day is one baby. As long as you are in your right mind don't you ever pray for twins. Twins amount to a permanent riot; and there ain't any real difference between triplets and a insurrection.
- Mark Twain

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2013, 08:23:32 PM »
I actually like Ww better than mfp.  I'm pleased with it so far.  I just didn't understand the 0 thing.  But it makes sense and will help entrench new habits. 

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2013, 08:25:46 PM »
Does MFP use calories? I find the points easier to understand and guesstimate on the fly. And veggies & fruit being 0 (for the most part) is easy. Small numbers work best for me.
This space for rent.

Offline all-smiles

• The Runners
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2013, 08:27:56 PM »
Yes MFP is calories and you can customize your goals and your macros, which is super useful when your insulin resistant and trying to keep your carbs down.
- Mark Twain

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2013, 08:32:48 PM »
Does MFP use calories? I find the points easier to understand and guesstimate on the fly. And veggies & fruit being 0 (for the most part) is easy. Small numbers work best for me.

I found  always felt bad for going over calories on my fitness pal... it was defeating.  but with WW you get the weekly allowance, so it's easier for me.  Plus I like that some foods are more heavily weighted, even if cal content is the same.  So an apple is 0, but same calories in chocolate isn't 0, steering you towards apple over chocolate.  But if you desperately need the chocolate you can have it and still be w/in points. 

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2013, 12:08:04 PM »

I didn't have this issue and don't eat a lot of packaged foods. But, a meal for me is often something like 1 egg, veggies, some oil, some spices. I track the oil, but not the spices. If I make soup, or a recipe, it goes in the tracker and then it's in my favorites and easy to drop into a meal. I do some estimating. It can only be so accurate. So, the lentil soup I make is around 90 calories/cup. I just find one in the database with a similar profile and use that.

Offline fancypants

• The Runners
    • Unanswered Flurry
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2013, 08:25:47 AM »
Yeah I ended up canceling WW under the 2 week guarantee; I just found the platform way too clunky compared to MFP.  And I think the recipe builder on MFP is super easy to use so I already have a good bit put in there.  Getting an actual food scale has been eye opening for sure :e)
Ah yes, a food scale and a measuring cup, and all of a sudden I was losing weight!
I don't have time for laundry; I'm trying to have a great life.

http://herheiness.wordpress.com/

Offline wherestheportojohn

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2013, 09:23:35 AM »
I recall in our first few weeks of WW, when measuring and weighing demos were done....to the dismay of the audience.
;)
American portions are commonly 2-4x what should be served.

There were many peeps in our class who'd never read a food label.
Didnt have a clue that the soda or bag of chips with their lunch was actually NOT single portion. LOLz
On, Wisconsin

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2013, 10:55:57 AM »
WW was where i learned portion control. I thought cereal, pasta, etc, one BOWL FULL was ONE portion. But in reality, that is 2-4 portions!

Offline Courtney

• The Runners
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2013, 06:31:35 PM »
Cheater.    :P

Ok.

It seems to be a common way to do stuff, because of the way the recipe builder works, tho. 

+-SUPPORT US