Author Topic: Baked oatmeal  (Read 14544 times)

Offline Lintu

• Passed on to another Brane
Baked oatmeal
« on: April 02, 2013, 06:09:51 PM »
I have a little obsession.  Make it on Monday, reheat the rest of the week...if it lasts that long.  And there are (as with regular oatmeal) about a million variations.

Go try it!!
"Girl. You are fine. You do not take instructions from a nun at a T stop." - Caito

Offline Tim

• The Runners
Baked oatmeal
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 06:11:15 PM »
Ok. Where to start?

Offline Lintu

Re: Baked oatmeal
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 06:16:02 PM »
This was the first one I made: http://www.cookingwithmykid.com/recipes/peaches-and-cream-oatmeal/

And then we made this one yesterday: http://www.everydaytastes.com/2013/01/07/baked-blueberry-oatmeal/

I've already eaten the batch from yesterday!
"Girl. You are fine. You do not take instructions from a nun at a T stop." - Caito

Offline Tim

• The Runners
Baked oatmeal
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 06:18:12 PM »
This was the first one I made: http://www.cookingwithmykid.com/recipes/peaches-and-cream-oatmeal/

And then we made this one yesterday: http://www.everydaytastes.com/2013/01/07/baked-blueberry-oatmeal/

I will try the baked blueberry. It sounds yum.

Offline Lintu

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 06:24:05 PM »
I will try the baked blueberry. It sounds yum.

I liked it a lot (obviously, or I wouldn't have eaten the whole pan :D)  I saw a blueberry-coconut version of it, but I don't have any unsweetened coconut on hand.

Offline Tim

• The Runners
Baked oatmeal
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 06:37:57 PM »
I liked it a lot (obviously, or I wouldn't have eaten the whole pan :D)  I saw a blueberry-coconut version of it, but I don't have any unsweetened coconut on hand.

That sounds really good too!!

I'll let you know when I make some. Probably not until next week.

Offline badger

• NTTAWWT
Baked oatmeal
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 11:33:41 AM »
Baked oatmeal is absolutely a favorite around here. We use the first recipe Lintu posted a lot.
After all, one rarely boils a penis before insertion. - nnej

I routinely smash mirrors while walking underneath ladders just to fuck with the cosmos. - ZiggyStardust

Offline badger

• NTTAWWT
Baked oatmeal
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 11:34:31 AM »
Watch out because some recipes have a lot of sugar and oil!
After all, one rarely boils a penis before insertion. - nnej

I routinely smash mirrors while walking underneath ladders just to fuck with the cosmos. - ZiggyStardust

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 11:49:50 AM »
I've been making oatmeal in my crockpot and eating it the rest of the week too.  It's fabulous.  I have never had baked oatmeal.

Offline Lintu

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 09:23:37 AM »
I've been making oatmeal in my crockpot and eating it the rest of the week too.  It's fabulous.  I have never had baked oatmeal.

Do you do steel cut?  I want to try that.  I have a tasty-looking recipe.

Here's another baked one I've been wanting to do: http://www.browneyedbaker.com/2013/01/03/apple-cinnamon-raisin-walnut-baked-oatmeal/

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 10:52:02 AM »

Here's another baked one I've been wanting to do: http://www.browneyedbaker.com/2013/01/03/apple-cinnamon-raisin-walnut-baked-oatmeal/

I have used both old fashioned oats and steel cut.  I think I like the old fashioned a little bit better, but both are great.

I am 44 years old and I never had real oatmeal until this year.  I've been eating instant all this time!  I'm a changed woman.

Offline redkitty

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 10:52:21 AM »
So is the baked oatmeal crunchy? 

Offline Lintu

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 02:14:31 PM »
So is the baked oatmeal crunchy? 

Only around the edges - it's mostly soft (but not as soft as regular)

Offline redkitty

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 02:43:17 PM »
I must try this then.  One of the reasons I hate oatmeal is because of its texture.  But I love oatmeal cookies that are soft. perhaps this will be a nice texture for me. 

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 02:52:06 PM »
I must try this then.  One of the reasons I hate oatmeal is because of its texture.  But I love oatmeal cookies that are soft. perhaps this will be a nice texture for me. 

I do not like soft oatmeal either. I eat my oatmeal one it is cold and congealed. I also eat it savory. I cook my oatmeal in the microwave and it turns out nice and firm. .5 cup old fashioned oats plus 1 cup water, and then I cook for 6 minutes on 40% power. That way it cooks but doesn't overflow and make a mess. (just in case you want to try a single serving before you try the whole baking thing)

Offline redkitty

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2013, 03:09:21 PM »
RA-- thanks.I will try that as well.  I also prefer savory over sweet.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2013, 03:37:29 PM »
If you like savory oatmeal, one of my favoite breakfasts is oatmeal, over easy egg (or two), plus half an avocado and some sriracha sauce. So good! 1 egg, 1/2 cup old fashiond oats, 1/2 med avocado is about 360 calories. This is one of my favorite post-run breakfasts.

I also like my oatmeal with tabasco, salt, and pepper (and cheddar cheese!).

My sweet version is to spoon 5 stewed prunes and top with a small handful of toasted almonds.

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2013, 03:40:42 PM »
I love savory oatmeal.  This one is really good.  Even better with hot sauce and an egg  :D

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/01/mark-bittmans-savory-oatmeal-with-scallions-and-soy-sauce-recipe.html
Because PANTS

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2013, 03:42:04 PM »
I love savory oatmeal.  This one is really good.  Even better with hot sauce and an egg  :D

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/01/mark-bittmans-savory-oatmeal-with-scallions-and-soy-sauce-recipe.html

You are my doppleganger. At least when it comes to food! I need to try that one! Although, I SCOFF at their 2tsp of soy sauce.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 03:44:04 PM by Run Amok »

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2013, 11:42:51 PM »
I've got a definite sweet tooth.  I'm going to try this. 

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2013, 08:58:13 AM »
I made this last night but I didn't have any blueberries so I used frozen raspberries... (the second one in Lintu's first post)  It was delicious!  I can see how you could eat the whole pan.. if you think about it, one cup of oatmeal in the whole thing is just two servings... so it's not all that substantial.

I didn't have real maple syrup but it was still good.

It would be really god with whipped cream!

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2013, 12:18:05 PM »
MoS I think you and I have similar tastes in food - so if you like it I'm definitely going to make it.

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2013, 03:05:24 PM »
I've made this one from a recipe card I got at Penzey's
http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=185958
“A good coat is like a good lawyer. it covers your ass.”_Jack Reacher, Without Fail

"There is no bad weather, only bad clothing choices"_hally

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2013, 06:29:07 PM »

I'm going to make this one tomorrow (the second one) but I don't have blueberries so I'll use apples, which I can eat if they're cooked.  :) 

Offline Courtney

• The Runners
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2013, 10:28:41 PM »
Ok, so I tried the blueberry recipe, and I don't think it has much flavor?  And it's a bit gooey in the middle.  Should it be? 

To be fair, I don't like oatmeal, it is a texture issue...  But I have baked with oats ok in the past...

Offline redkitty

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2013, 09:28:18 AM »
So I made the first recipe that Lintu posted (the easy one) but I used different dried fruit.   I liked it.  Oatmeal texture in general grosses me out, but this texture is NOT gross at all and I had the leftovers this morning. i warmed it up with milk and it was good. My daughter did not like it, though.  The texture was a bit gooey in the middle and I will just cook it longer next time, but that did not bother me.  Also, I will use fresh/frozen fruit, not dried fruit next time.  overall, I really did like it.  I am actually pretty excited. It was sweet enough for me, but not overly sweet and I think it would even satisfy me if I wanted dessert.

Courtney, maybe you need to just add more flavoring, like vanilla or more sugar or both. 

Offline Courtney

• The Runners
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2013, 09:49:56 AM »
So I made the first recipe that Lintu posted (the easy one) but I used different dried fruit.   I liked it.  Oatmeal texture in general grosses me out, but this texture is NOT gross at all and I had the leftovers this morning. i warmed it up with milk and it was good. My daughter did not like it, though.  The texture was a bit gooey in the middle and I will just cook it longer next time, but that did not bother me.  Also, I will use fresh/frozen fruit, not dried fruit next time.  overall, I really did like it.  I am actually pretty excited. It was sweet enough for me, but not overly sweet and I think it would even satisfy me if I wanted dessert.

Courtney, maybe you need to just add more flavoring, like vanilla or more sugar or both. 

Worth a shot!  It definitely needed sweetened.  Or something.  Even the blueberries were just kind of meh.  Weird. 

Offline redkitty

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2013, 09:54:11 AM »
Worth a shot!  It definitely needed sweetened.  Or something.  Even the blueberries were just kind of meh.  Weird. 

Were they fresh blueberries or frozen?  We cannot find good fresh blueberries where we live, we have to use the frozen.   

Offline Courtney

• The Runners
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2013, 09:58:16 AM »
Were they fresh blueberries or frozen?  We cannot find good fresh blueberries where we live, we have to use the frozen.   

Frozen...  I wonder if fresh would be better?  I'm not sure I've ever baked with fresh ones!  And they were these teeny mini bluberries.  Not on purpose, that's what was in the bag I had!  I'm not ready to give up on this, because I think this would be a nice breakfast item for me.  I'd like something less mushy, and maybe thicker.  I used a 8x11 (ish?  not my big 9x13) pan, and it didn't rise much, if at all.  I've had these breakfast "cookies" from quaker, in the past, that I'd kind of like to recreate the texture...  chewy, but dry/not mushy.  That's what I'm envisioning, but that is not what came out of the oven.  :D 

Offline redkitty

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2013, 10:21:57 AM »
I know what cookies you are talking about, and without flour, I do not think you will get that consistency.  I think if you cook it a bit longer you can avoid the gooey parts, though.  and I used a 9X9 pan, so it was fairly thick.  I would have used an 8X8 if I had one.  I would definitely try a smaller pan and I do not think my oatmeal raised very much, if at all.  (maybe a little bit.)  and the frozen berries we have right now are also teeny tiny. 

Maybe try the "cooking with my kid" recipe. It looks slightly different than the blueberry one you used (though not a ton different.)  That is the one I used, but as I said I did not use the fruit she suggested, I used dried berries (a mix of cherries, blueberries and cranberries actually.)  I should mention that the link Lintu has here for the cooking with my kid goes to a peaches and cream recipe...but within that page is the link to the original oatmeal recipe...i used the original recipe. 

Offline Courtney

• The Runners
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2013, 10:41:00 AM »
Thanks!  I'll probably try it out.  I also doubt I'll get quite the texture I'm looking for...  such is life without flour.  :D  I've seen some other "oatmeal muffin" recipes on pinterest that look very similar to these, so I bet I can find something that works.  And my DH, bless his heart, eats the trials for me. 

Offline Lintu

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2013, 04:05:57 PM »
Frozen...  I wonder if fresh would be better?  I'm not sure I've ever baked with fresh ones!  And they were these teeny mini bluberries.  Not on purpose, that's what was in the bag I had!  I'm not ready to give up on this, because I think this would be a nice breakfast item for me.  I'd like something less mushy, and maybe thicker.  I used a 8x11 (ish?  not my big 9x13) pan, and it didn't rise much, if at all.  I've had these breakfast "cookies" from quaker, in the past, that I'd kind of like to recreate the texture...  chewy, but dry/not mushy.  That's what I'm envisioning, but that is not what came out of the oven.  :D 

I used frozen, wild blueberries as well, and I used agave instead of maple syrup because that's what I had at the time.  Not super sweet, but sweet enough for me.  I think the peaches and cream recipe was sweeter, but I haven't made it in awhile!

Offline redkitty

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2013, 04:08:24 PM »
I used frozen, wild blueberries as well, and I used agave instead of maple syrup because that's what I had at the time.  Not super sweet, but sweet enough for me.  I think the peaches and cream recipe was sweeter, but I haven't made it in awhile!

I was thinking about this this morning (as I ate my leftovers.) Courtney, maybe go the dried fruit route because it concentrates the sugar and therefore will have more flavor.  For me it sort of throws off the texture, but I can say with certainty that the fruit in it has a lot of flavor.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2013, 07:16:28 AM »

This works well in a rice cooker, too.

+-SUPPORT US