Author Topic: Vitamix users, or similar product users and juicers - HELP!  (Read 59043 times)

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
Re: Vitamix users, or similar product users and juicers - HELP!
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2013, 06:08:49 PM »
are smoothies solely for those attempting to lose weight?

i more commonly drink them in the summer when i am running high miles and need both calories and liquids.  i don't consider them diet foods - i consider them whole foods, based on what i put in them.

Offline RioG

• The Runners
Re: Re: Vitamix users, or similar product users and juicers - HELP!
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2013, 06:19:29 PM »

i more commonly drink them in the summer when i am running high miles and need both calories and liquids.  i don't consider them diet foods - i consider them whole foods, based on what i put in them.
yes -  that's how I see them too.  I figure it's a good breakfast choice,  especially when I like to drink them on the way to work.

Offline cindyleigh

• The Runners
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2013, 06:25:10 PM »

There are plenty of smoothie recipes, some are low cal - some are not. 

I am trying to lose weight, though.  I am also trying to fit more fiber and veggies into my breakfast routine, which usually requires something quick and portable (I do a lot of toast).  It is remarkably easy to blend up a smoothie and drink it during my commute. 

I generally avoid anything labeled as a "diet food".  Even when dieting.  They tend to be overly sweet (so as to be lowfat) and overly processed.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2013, 06:34:30 PM »
i drink smoothies solely because they are delicious but stay mindful of what is going in so i do not make 1000 calorie delights ;)
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2013, 07:03:22 PM »
I don't know how you could make a 1000 calorie smoothie... unless you were putting ice cream in? 

The ones I make hover around the 350 cal mark - maybe 380.  And I was using 10% fat greek yogurt (I buy it for C).

That's one good thing about my little Hamiltion Beach mini-blender thing - it's the size of a travel mug, so it's impossible to put too much in it.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2013, 07:17:03 PM »
I thought I was the only one who believed that calorie intake mattered... I remember someone posted that a calorie was not a calorie in reply to a comment I made.

I think you are misremembering.

Not all calories are equal nutritionally and certainly not everyones body deals with calories in the same way but of course a calorie is a calorie.

ZiggyStardust

« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2013, 07:49:00 PM »
...but of course a calorie is a calorie.

Except, of course, when it's a Calorie ;)

(who was it...Quixotic Notions, maybe...who always insisted on the capitalization of the "C" to designate kilocalorie as opposed to plain ol' calorie?)

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2013, 08:42:09 PM »
(who was it...Quixotic Notions, maybe...who always insisted on the capitalization of the "C" to designate kilocalorie as opposed to plain ol' calorie?)

Ziggy!  QN was from times of yore.  Extremely yore.  Are you an old Kickster in disguise? 

Offline leggova

• The Runners
  • When did my wild oats turn to prunes and all bran?
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2013, 12:00:46 AM »
I think if you use a smoothie to replace a meal then you are fine. For me though, I don't want to do this. It feels unsatisfying to me. I want to eat not drink. So if I were using it for snacks, then I know I would go way over my calorie limit for the day.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28991768@N00/

"A life, Jimmy. You know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come."

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2013, 07:13:43 AM »
I think if you use a smoothie to replace a meal then you are fine. For me though, I don't want to do this. It feels unsatisfying to me. I want to eat not drink. So if I were using it for snacks, then I know I would go way over my calorie limit for the day.
for me, a smoothie is either breakfast or a post long run treat. I occassionally make the frozen banana "ice cream" as my dessert.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

ZiggyStardust

« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2013, 07:14:27 AM »
Ziggy!  QN was from times of yore.  Extremely yore.  Are you an old Kickster in disguise?

Long-time lurker.  I only really started posting 'cuz Fionn sings so purty (he recorded a cover of Ziggy Stardust to suck me into posting...it worked).

Now, back to Vitamix talk!!

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2013, 07:33:27 AM »
At some point, I need to put portion control into effect.

Same with me.  Not that I have a lot to lose: like the 2-3 pounds I gained this winter...  but it won't happen if I don't reduce the # of calories I am taking in.

Offline Courtney

• The Runners
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2013, 10:22:23 AM »

I am perpetually trying to lose weight, but smoothies for me are often breakfast.  Or after a run when it's hot out.

Last night I made one that I split with DH, and it was more of a dessert thing (made from fruit, yogurt and SPINACH).  I usually want something sweet at night, and the 150 calories I drank as a smoothie is definitely better for me than a similar amount of chocolate.  :D  Plus, no way I'd eat only 150 calories of chocolate unless that was exactly how much I had.  BTW, I couldn't tell there was spinach in it, and neither could DH.  It was delicious!

I know there are differing trains of thought on the calorie issue.  I think for most people, reducing calories means eating healthier foods too, so it's really hard to say.  I could test it out by eating 1600 in doritos every day for a week, and then 1600 in whole foods for a week, but that's not really that appealing despite my love of doritos.  Additionally, when you eat your 1600 calories (example) in whole foods, you will feel more energetic, stay full longer, reduce cravings, etc.  But there is some stuff out there that points towards a calorie not being a calorie.  I'm not a scientist, so I haven't really taken the time to try and figure it out.  But I know that if I'm eating whole foods I tend to eat less overall, and that is certainly a calorie reduction...  I think it's Lintu who doesn't really buy the basic calorie=calorie thing? 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2013, 11:52:27 AM »
Cheryl posted about it in her thread the other day about the book she is following, that your body uses carb calories different.

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2013, 12:04:54 PM »
I like smoothies as a side or a snack instead of a salad.  Sometimes I just do not want to eat another salad.  I would not feel full or satisfied with one as a full meal.  That is just me though.  I like to chew  :D  I do think smoothie/juicing diets are pretty trendy right now with those documentaries recommending them so I do think lots of people ARE drinking them as a weight loss aid.  Of course if you feel satisfied and can stick to your goal it would work for you but I am guessing lots of people are like me and are going to drink them and still want to eat food after.  I do see lots of recipes with nuts and coconut milk and flax oil and avocados and stuff.  I am sure they are delicious and full of healthy things but they can be high calorie easily.   
Because PANTS

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2013, 01:15:49 PM »
They totally fill me up for breakfast and even lunch in a pinch.   Probably because they are a shit-load more healthy than the cereal (even the Kashi Go Lean!) that I usually eat. 

I was listening to someone on CBC discuss micronutrients, and that's why (green, especially) smoothies are good and filling - because they are giving your body what it needs, whereas if we ate the same # of calories in potatoes, or apples, or doritos, or beer, you are still hungry because you haven't fulfilled your body's nutrition requirements.

I know that sounds like "duh, you didn't know that?!" but somewhere along the way I must have forgotten it. :D  I've been very guilty of eating the right # of calories, but they're not good calories.  I'm not sure I really believe a calorie is just a calorie. 

Offline Courtney

• The Runners
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2013, 04:22:33 PM »
They totally fill me up for breakfast and even lunch in a pinch.   Probably because they are a shit-load more healthy than the cereal (even the Kashi Go Lean!) that I usually eat. 

I was listening to someone on CBC discuss micronutrients, and that's why (green, especially) smoothies are good and filling - because they are giving your body what it needs, whereas if we ate the same # of calories in potatoes, or apples, or doritos, or beer, you are still hungry because you haven't fulfilled your body's nutrition requirements.

I know that sounds like "duh, you didn't know that?!" but somewhere along the way I must have forgotten it. :D  I've been very guilty of eating the right # of calories, but they're not good calories.  I'm not sure I really believe a calorie is just a calorie. 

YEP. 

I believe the number of calories definitely matters.  It's not like I think I can eat 3000 calories of lean meat, nuts, fruit & veggies and not gain weight.  It's that I think I have a bit more leeway on the actual number of calories I eat to maintain/lose when I eat foods like that.  Except nuts.  I can't NOT overeat salty nuts.  :D 

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2013, 05:26:09 PM »
YEP. 

I believe the number of calories definitely matters.  It's not like I think I can eat 3000 calories of lean meat, nuts, fruit & veggies and not gain weight.  It's that I think I have a bit more leeway on the actual number of calories I eat to maintain/lose when I eat foods like that.  Except nuts.  I can't NOT overeat salty nuts.  :D 

Yes, this is what I'm thinking too.  And I think by eating a slightly higher calorie meal like a smoothie filled with spinach and berries and greek yogurt I will somehow satisfy the evil chocolate covered almond eating machine that I become when I try to "diet".

Anyway, what's the worst that could happen - I stay the same weight but ate a bunch of nutritious food.  Oh the shame!

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2013, 06:11:10 PM »
Maybe it was the years of WW but I feel that vegetable calories "don't count" (with a few exxceptions like avocado, peasm corn, etc) so I never count them in when calculating calorie counts.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2013, 06:22:00 PM »
Maybe it was the years of WW but I feel that vegetable calories "don't count" (with a few exxceptions like avocado, peasm corn, etc) so I never count them in when calculating calorie counts.
i do because eveyone always assumes i am not counting accurately or i would lose weight. ;)

+-SUPPORT US