Author Topic: Vitamix users, or similar product users and juicers - HELP!  (Read 59042 times)

ZiggyStardust

Re: Vitamix users, or similar product users and juicers - HELP!
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2013, 08:10:40 PM »
God i want one!

...I will admit, I broke down and bought one... What the heck; we're getting money back from the IRS this year, and any way to get more veggies into all of our diets is a good thing.

Haven't used it yet, though--it was delivered last Friday, but the in-laws were around all weekend.  Goodness knows they don't need another thing to add to their ongoing commentary of complaints, so I was hesitant to start it up when they were around.  I can't wait to try it out this week!!  The recipe book (a Mitt Romney-esque binder!!) that came with it has SO MANY things to try.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2013, 08:17:15 PM »
All the vitamxes one with different books (per model), did anyone get the raw and vegan one?
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2013, 12:09:39 AM »
All the vitamxes one with different books (per model), did anyone get the raw and vegan one?

I'll go look in mine. I haven't opened it yet.
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline leggova

• The Runners
  • When did my wild oats turn to prunes and all bran?
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2013, 12:30:13 AM »
Well, I calculated the calories this morning and it is a bit high - 430 calories ...

This is why I wouldn't buy one. Too easy to consume too many calories. I would much rather eat my calories.  :)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28991768@N00/

"A life, Jimmy. You know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come."

Offline cindyleigh

• The Runners
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2013, 11:03:46 AM »
This is why I wouldn't buy one. Too easy to consume too many calories. I would much rather eat my calories.  :)

.....at least they are "good calories".  The carrots alone are 70 cal. 

But I will need to be mindful of it!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2013, 11:09:44 AM »

I mostly agree with this. I have to be really careful about smoothies because it's easy to just keep throwing stuff in. I always wonder about the ones I see where people are adding peanut butter, and yogurt, and ground flax...and I'm thinking...uh... you knw that's like 1,000 calories, right? But, in the summer sometimes I need to seat something and nothing sounds appealing (like after a run)... or a banana, berries, and yogurt is what I would eat for my snack anyway, but it sounds more appealing blended up. But it's REALLY easy to go from 200 calories to 400 calories in a snap and I am always really careful about measuring everything.

Oh, another thing is that I buy 0% yogurt just for smoothies. I really dont notice the 2% vs 0% thing in a smoothie so that buys a few extra calories.

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2013, 11:11:23 AM »
If you are drinking them for veggies you don't have to put all that protein powder and almonds and stuff in them.  I drink them to get more greens because I find it a slog to eat so much salad and so I just put 4 cups of greens with half a cup of kefir some grated ginger and water as needed.  Sometimes half a cup of frozen berries if I am feeling wild.  That keeps it to less than 100 calories.   
Because PANTS

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2013, 11:46:57 AM »

Same here.  And I do not have trouble eating veggies.

Offline Courtney

• The Runners
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2013, 01:20:23 PM »
I mostly agree with this. I have to be really careful about smoothies because it's easy to just keep throwing stuff in. I always wonder about the ones I see where people are adding peanut butter, and yogurt, and ground flax...and I'm thinking...uh... you knw that's like 1,000 calories, right? But, in the summer sometimes I need to seat something and nothing sounds appealing (like after a run)... or a banana, berries, and yogurt is what I would eat for my snack anyway, but it sounds more appealing blended up. But it's REALLY easy to go from 200 calories to 400 calories in a snap and I am always really careful about measuring everything.

Oh, another thing is that I buy 0% yogurt just for smoothies. I really dont notice the 2% vs 0% thing in a smoothie so that buys a few extra calories.

Yeah, adding in PB really gets you up there fast!! 

I sometimes do one (for breakfast) that is a banana (100ish calories), 1 T PB (90 cal), oats (120 or so?) and ice & water.  For 300ish calories it's pretty filling, actually. 

Offline cindyleigh

• The Runners
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2013, 03:19:02 PM »
This morning I did 1/4 cup nonfat yogurt instead of 1/2, so that reduced the cal. a bit but then I added a banana and some frozen pomegranate juice....so the fruit brought it back up to 450 cal.

2 medium carrots (70 cal)
2 cups mixed greens (20 cal)
2 tbls ground flax seed (80 cal)
1 scoop whey powder (80 cal)
1/4 cup nonfat yogurt (40 cal)
1 banana + 2 ice cubes frozen pomegranate juice (160 cal)
2 cups water

....which was discouraging until I read a study about breakfast calories and weight loss done in 2008 (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/02/120207133750.htm).  In the study, 193 obese non-diabetics (this would be me) were randomized to one of two groups.  In the female cohort, daily calories were 1400 which included either a 300 calorie breakfast (group 1) or a 600 calorie breakfast (group 2).  At the study end 32 weeks later, group 2 participants lost an average of 40 lbs more that group 1 participants!

Okay, and here is the kicker ....group 2 participants not only ate a big breakfast (high in protein and carbs) but it always included a dessert item (like chocolate!).

So you may be wondering ...how come they didn't lose the same amount if they were each restricted to 1400 calories per day?  Apparently the group 1 dieters cheated more.

So I'm not going to stress about a 450 calorie breakfast smoothie.  I may even top it off with a couple pieces of dark chocolate!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2013, 03:25:02 PM »
Caito's nutritionist (nancy clark) told her to be heavier on the calories in the beginning of the day vs the end (dinner) esp if you exercise in the morning.

My smoothie-
1/2 cup soymilk (40)
1/2 cup silken tofu (45)
1 cup berries (85)
1/2 banana (50)
1.5 cups spinach (20)
2/3 cup mango (75)

315cals total.

probably not the most nutritious breakfast i can eat, but i am so sick of oatmeal and scrambled tofu and not really keen on bready breakfasts like pancakes, muffins, etc.

Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2013, 03:44:05 PM »
I would definitely not stress about a 450 calorie smoothie as long as it fits into your overall caloric consumption and keeps you as full as you need to be. 450 calories that carries you well through to your next meal time is not a problem at all! Satiety is a huge part of sucessful weightloss. So, whatever gets you there is what matters.

If I'm restricting calories, I'm typically eating 500 calories or so before lunch. I just do it as a 300 calorie breakfast and then a 200 calorie mid-morning snack rather than all at once.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2013, 04:31:24 PM »
I thought I was the only one who believed that calorie intake mattered... I remember someone posted that a calorie was not a calorie in reply to a comment I made.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2013, 04:34:43 PM »
I thought I was the only one who believed that calorie intake mattered... I remember someone posted that a calorie was not a calorie in reply to a comment I made.

All I can say is that when I got my caloric intake under control... suddenly my weight took care of itself. ;) Now... getting the calories under control is much easier to do if I'm eating mostly from behind door a (eggs, veggies, limited quantities of specific whole grains) rather than mostly from behind door b (candy, french fries, pizza). But all I can say is that is me... others have different experiences.

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2013, 04:58:58 PM »
If I'm going to eat too many calories then I guess I'd rather they came from fruits and yogurt then from the bag of chocolate I'd otherwise be reaching for. :D

Offline Courtney

• The Runners
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2013, 05:14:30 PM »
If I'm going to eat too many calories then I guess I'd rather they came from fruits and yogurt then from the bag of chocolate I'd otherwise be reaching for. :D

There is a frickin' bag of easter candy hollering at me from my boss's office.   >:(

Offline RioG

• The Runners
Re: Re: Vitamix users, or similar product users and juicers - HELP!
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2013, 05:21:26 PM »
There is a frickin' bag of easter candy hollering at me from my boss's office.   >:(
exactly.  My new plan is just to eat whenever I want,  but just make sure it's healthy.  When I restrict calories I end up eating the whole bag of chocolate covered almonds.  I'm starting to look into the whole micronutrients thing to see if that helps.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2013, 05:29:01 PM »
exactly.  My new plan is just to eat whenever I want,  but just make sure it's healthy.  When I restrict calories I end up eating the whole bag of chocolate covered almonds.  I'm starting to look into the whole micronutrients thing to see if that helps.

You might do well with one of those "eat all you want of these things" diet. I can still get fat on "healthy" food. At some point, I need to put portion control into effect.

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2013, 05:34:23 PM »

I do.  I think many people find it easier to stick to their goals when they eat a certain way though. 
Because PANTS

Offline cindyleigh

• The Runners
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2013, 06:02:30 PM »

I don't know of any weight loss program that doesn't, in some way, count calories.  They may call them "points" or something else ....but in the end, its energy in vs. energy out and that energy is measured in kcal.

+-SUPPORT US