Author Topic: I think I'm lazy, can we discuss?  (Read 26542 times)

Offline Courtney

• The Runners
Re: I think I'm lazy, can we discuss?
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2013, 11:28:33 AM »
I love to cook, but there just doesn't seem to be enough time/energy at the end of the workday to make a complicated meal on a regular basis. We've found our gas grill to be a life saver. Grill some veggies and a nice steak, piece of fish, or some other protein and microwave a sweet potato and you have a nice dinner that takes 10 min of prep and 10 min on the grill. And almost no clean up! I think I'm lazy too!! :)

*highfive*

Offline Courtney

• The Runners
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2013, 11:46:40 AM »
LOL. And he is still alive. Astounding.

Right?

My grandad gave me a couple cookbooks one Christmas, when I was 19 or so, and had been seeing my now-DH for about 6 months.  He told me that if I wanted to keep this guy, I needed to learn to cook.  :D  They were Campbell's Soup and Lipton Soup mix cookbooks, but they were actually great.  I had no idea what I was doing, because I specifically didn't learn to cook when I was in HS.  I did whatever mom needed me to do (chopping stuff, setting the table, cleaning the kitchen, etc) but I was decidedly not interested in cooking.  I baked, tho.  But anyhoo, there was certainly some truth to what my grandad said.  I think cooking my now-DH some meals that were not ramen noodles definitely was a plus :D 

I don't hate cooking by any stretch.  I hate cooking EVERY DAY.  And I hate cleaning up.  I need to work out a deal with DH to help me with that part and that would be good. 

Speaking of lazy, we ordered pizza last night because I have no food to cook with in the house, and it was cold and I didn't want to go to the store (and we are leaving for 3 days).   :sigh:

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2013, 12:47:17 PM »
my neighbor has gone to these cooking places where go and they give you recipes, etc and you prep and prepare your meals for a week or a month and put them in freezer. I think for you, cooking 1 day a week for the week is probably your best bet. Check out some of the websites that give you advice on how to prep food to have on hand for easy meals. I know a lot of people who cook once a month, i just do not because it is really not vegan friendly recipes.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline AmyAmyAmy

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2013, 02:43:51 PM »
I'm lazy too. I usually cook a big thing of soup or a bunch of chicken breast on Sunday night and eat that through Wednesday with rice and veggies. If I'm feeling sassy on Thursday I cook more chicken and if not I'll eat Subway or something on Thursday and Friday. You don't have to cook every day to eat home cooked food every day.  :D

Offline Courtney

• The Runners
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2013, 04:00:37 PM »
I've done the thing where you go somewhere and make up X number of freezer meals, too.  It wasn't Supper Solutions, it was at a gal's house.  It was good, but with the gluten issue now, it's not as easy.  But yeah, cooking once a week would be good.  Even meal planning would help.  :D

The thing that is most annoying about being gluten free is that I can't run out to subway anymore.  It was always my go-to cheap easy healthy meal. 

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2013, 04:18:02 PM »
I've done the thing where you go somewhere and make up X number of freezer meals, too.  It wasn't Supper Solutions, it was at a gal's house.  It was good, but with the gluten issue now, it's not as easy.  But yeah, cooking once a week would be good.  Even meal planning would help.  :D

The thing that is most annoying about being gluten free is that I can't run out to subway anymore.  It was always my go-to cheap easy healthy meal. 

I'm lazy too.. but I've found things don't have to be fancy or elaborate.. I made a huge tofu stirfry last night that basically took about 10 minutes... I got him from work, ran, showered and made the dinner.. easy peasy...

Just try to keep it simple.. Not sure what you like, but many nights I just throw some chicken brasts on the grill pan sprinkled with lemon pepper.. a pre bagged salad and steam some broccoli.... take but a few minutes to cook and nutritious and healthy...

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2013, 06:49:36 AM »
LOL. And he is still alive. Astounding.

And I have developed a love of cooking in the process.

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2013, 08:00:19 AM »
They were Campbell's Soup and Lipton Soup mix cookbooks, but they were actually great. 

These were totally my first two cookbooks when I was out of college and first cooking for myself all the time! I rocked those recipes. The beef with broccoli and noodles from the Campbell's Soup one was one of my favorites. I swear I still have the books, somewhere. I'll never get rid of them, even though it's probably been a good 5-10 years since I opened my last can of cream of mushroom soup.  :d
This space for rent.

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2013, 08:01:52 AM »
I don't hate cooking by any stretch.  I hate cooking EVERY DAY.  And I hate cleaning up.  I need to work out a deal with DH to help me with that part and that would be good. 

And yes, yes, a thousand times yes. I love to cook when I'm in the mood, but the daily grind wears me down, especially clean-up (with no dishwasher). Some days I feel as if my life is nothing but an endless stream of dirty dishes.
This space for rent.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2013, 09:03:09 AM »
Courtney, with Passover a few weeks away the grocery stores are filling with matzo.  Gluten-free matzo is fairly easy to find these days and I recommend you go grab a box today and try it.  IF you like it, buy a bunch before it's gone.  Matzo makes a great snack, matzo pizza is good, you can soak in a bit of hot water and use it like lasagna noodles.  I was thinking about that b/c you mentioned Subway and it's totally good with a bit of spray butter, cold cuts etc.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2013, 09:40:45 AM »
Gluten free matzoh?  Yay, I had no idea!  I've been craving matzoh brei.  Thanks!

Offline diablita

• The Runners
I think I'm lazy, can we discuss?
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2013, 03:29:50 PM »
Yes!  Whole Foods has several brands.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline triciaflower

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2013, 04:29:07 PM »
Found this. It's not free, but it sounds like it might be a good starting point.
http://www.plantoeat.com/
There is also this:
http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/real-food-resources/

Just realized a lot of her recipes have wheat. I'm sure there are a ton of other ideas from which to start just modify based on your diet.

Offline omega lambda

• The Runners
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2013, 04:36:06 PM »
Another thought - you mentioned that your current kitchen situation isn't helpful and you're worried about developing bad habits, so how about spending some timenow finding recipes you want to make in your NEW kitchen.  Perhaps the change of scenery and being ready with recipes in hand will help guard against that once you move.

Offline Courtney

• The Runners
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2013, 04:52:54 PM »
Another thought - you mentioned that your current kitchen situation isn't helpful and you're worried about developing bad habits, so how about spending some timenow finding recipes you want to make in your NEW kitchen.  Perhaps the change of scenery and being ready with recipes in hand will help guard against that once you move.

That, my friend, is a great idea :) 

We visited some friends this weekend, and I cooked in their big awesome kitchen, and was LONGING for the ability to do that at home.  So I'm very hopeful that it will be easy to get back in the groove.  Allegedly we close mid-march, so let's all  :fingers: that it actually happens! 

It was hilarious, they just got married this fall, so they got lots of cool kitchen gadgets from their registry, and they had good knives (which I have, but are packed) and good pans (again, packed), and SPACE.  Oh, the space... 

Offline Courtney

• The Runners
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2013, 04:55:41 PM »
Courtney, with Passover a few weeks away the grocery stores are filling with matzo.  Gluten-free matzo is fairly easy to find these days and I recommend you go grab a box today and try it.  IF you like it, buy a bunch before it's gone.  Matzo makes a great snack, matzo pizza is good, you can soak in a bit of hot water and use it like lasagna noodles.  I was thinking about that b/c you mentioned Subway and it's totally good with a bit of spray butter, cold cuts etc.

I'm going to Sprouts this weekend, so I'll check.  :)

Tricia, I love that lady's blog.   :heartbeat:

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2013, 05:09:19 PM »
I used to love cooking, but I'm burned out. I still like baking but that doesn't really help.

What I want are 5 easy, healthy, delicious dinner recipes. Just 5. And I can just keep stocked up on those ingredients, and do smoothies for breakfast and keep a bunch of healthy self-serve snacks to take care of the munchies, and we'd be set.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2013, 05:33:55 PM »
i cannot wait for spring/summer; mr. 'poo and i will be eating green salads w/paillards for WEEKS. 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2013, 06:01:07 PM »
I used to love cooking, but I'm burned out. I still like baking but that doesn't really help.

What I want are 5 easy, healthy, delicious dinner recipes. Just 5. And I can just keep stocked up on those ingredients, and do smoothies for breakfast and keep a bunch of healthy self-serve snacks to take care of the munchies, and we'd be set.
I eat chickpea salad every day for lunch lately. no cook, healthy, easy. I can post the recipe if you want. I also have been making a curried tahini carrot and tofu salad. Once again, super easy, i only cook the tofu quickly and i made enough last night for 4 or 5 portions.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2013, 06:07:44 PM »
I eat chickpea salad every day for lunch lately. no cook, healthy, easy. I can post the recipe if you want. I also have been making a curried tahini carrot and tofu salad. Once again, super easy, i only cook the tofu quickly and i made enough last night for 4 or 5 portions.

You can certainly post them, but they don't sound like something my husband or my son would eat. That's part of the problem. Delicious is so subjective. But I want 5 recipes that will satisfy everyone in my house.

+-SUPPORT US