Author Topic: Hot Appetizers that Travel Well...  (Read 8270 times)

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
Hot Appetizers that Travel Well...
« on: December 22, 2008, 09:04:23 AM »
So for our Christmas Day gathering at SIL's, I am assigned to bring a festive salad (!) and an appetizer. My MIL is bringing cheeses, crackers, usually some olives, interesting spreads, etc., pretty much cold stuff, I think.

So I'm trying to think of an appetizer that would add nicely to that and maybe something hot. The trick is that I don't want to cause a logistical problem in the kitchen by bringing something that requires significant oven time.

In the past I've made prosciutto pillows stuffed with goat cheese and sundried tomatoes, but we just had those at Thanksgiving, so I don't want to repeat so soon.

The only idea I came up with was maybe a hot artichoke type of dip with pita or bread, that could be cooked here and would stay fairly warm in the 45-minute trip to SIL's house for dinner. Maybe it would need a little zap in the microwave at most to ensure maximum delicious melty-ness.

Does this sound do-able? Any other ideas? I was thinking of picking up one of those little dipper mini-crock pots if I came up with a good idea that needed that. I do have a full-size one but don't want to truck that in to make a big fuss, as there are only 6 of us altogether and what I'm bringing would not be intended to be the "main event" by any means.
This space for rent.

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
Re: Hot Appetizers that Travel Well...
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 09:11:14 AM »
spanakopita!!

dead easy and taste good in the entire temp range from hot-out-of-oven to room-temp to leftovers-straight-from-fridge

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 09:13:43 AM »
Yum - that is a great idea! I like the idea of not doing something so bready/carby as a dip. Any specific recipes? I've never made spanakopita (and have trouble spelling it)...
This space for rent.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 10:08:40 AM »
I usually make it up as I go along... spinach sauteed with thinly sliced onion... mixed with feta cheese... folded in phyllo triangles... baked until golden brown.  Usually I put some fresh oregano & fresh mint in too.

I think I've used the filling for Molly Katzen's spanakopita, but she does it in layers in a pan, I stuff them and fold up. 

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 03:51:35 PM »
Here's a recipe: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Spanakopita-107344

This is something you CAN use frozen spinach in to save you time. Make sure you squeeze it very, very well.

You can try a variety of fillings if you're so inclined.

Offline Gomie

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 04:47:04 PM »
Pinwheels.
“A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.”
—Father James Keller

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 08:09:52 AM »
or skip the onion and use nutmeg

optionally add some finely diced marinate artichoke hearts

!!an egg!! I forgot about the egg.  I've been thinking myself through the cooking process and here's what I think I do:

1 large bunch spinach, washed well, chopped coarsely
1 small onion, thinly sliced
2-6 cloves garlic (depending who I'm serving it to), smashed then crushed
two FULL handfuls of parsley, chopped finely
a couple sprigs of fresh mint, chopped finely
olive oil for sauteeing

about 1/2 pound feta (sheep's milk preferably, but any will do), crumbled
1 egg, lightly beaten
salt & pepper to taste

olive oil for brushing pastry
several sheets of phyllo, thawed

heat oil in a skillet; sautee onions & garlic; add spinach stir until wilted; add parsely and mint; cook until liquid evaporates almost completely; let cool; mix with crumbled feta and egg.

heat oven to 375-400F; on a clean work surface, lay out 2 sheets of phyllo, brushed with olive oil between (brush the first sheet, put the second on top); cut in 3 equal sections lenghthwise; wrap in triangles (end over end) brushing olive oil lightly between layers (you don't need to do every turn, but you can); bake until puffed up and golden brown.

when you buy a box of phyllo, wrapping directions are usually printed on the inside of the box... I don't know how to explain it without a diagram
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 08:27:36 AM by caribougrrl »

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 02:03:07 PM »
If you've never worked with phyllo here are some tips:
It comes frozen- by the pie shells and puff pastry. You need to defrost it before you use it.
Leave it in the box until the MOMENT you are ready to work with it (that means butter melted, pastry brush at the ready, filling ready to go, baking sheets ready, oven preheated etc).
I put some plastic wrap on the table then lay the sheets of phyllo on it then take a barely damp tea towel or paper towels and put it over the phyllo.
You have to work fairly quickly as the phylo becomes unworkable as it dries out

It's not that difficult but being prepared ahead of time will make all the difference!

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 04:06:31 PM »
If you've never worked with phyllo here are some tips:
It comes frozen- by the pie shells and puff pastry. You need to defrost it before you use it.
Leave it in the box until the MOMENT you are ready to work with it (that means butter melted, pastry brush at the ready, filling ready to go, baking sheets ready, oven preheated etc).
I put some plastic wrap on the table then lay the sheets of phyllo on it then take a barely damp tea towel or paper towels and put it over the phyllo.
You have to work fairly quickly as the phylo becomes unworkable as it dries out

It's not that difficult but being prepared ahead of time will make all the difference!

Great tips.

I love making things with phyllo and would only add ... seriously ... remember to pull out of the freezer a few hours before or you will crack each sheet when trying to unfold out of the box.

And don't stress if you do have sheets breaking ... just add another one on top and it will be fine.

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2008, 11:59:18 AM »
Excellent...thanks for the tips and recipes. I'm going to make them in a little while, and hopefully they'll be a big hit. The phyllo is thawing now.

I picture the wrapping working similar to the way you fold an American flag? So you end up with the triangular shape and have covered all the sides with no openings.
This space for rent.

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2008, 07:16:10 AM »
Success!

I used a combination of the epicurious recipe and caribougrrl's, and just barely managed to assemble and cook 24 of them before we had to leave for SIL's. They were still warm when I packed them, and I used my Wilton Armetale platter (warmed in the oven) to transport, so that worked out ok.

My SIL's boyfriend declared that I may no longer visit unless I bring him some spanakopita. It is designated to be my signature appetizer now.

I definitely underestimated the time it takes to put it all together, especially since it was my first time making them and it took some practice to get used to handling the phyllo.

The good news is I did not use up all the filling and still have another roll of phyllo so I will assemble and freeze some to bring to my sister's for this weekend.
This space for rent.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2008, 04:58:14 AM »
oops... I forgot to say, dead simple but time consuming... glad they were a success!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2008, 09:44:06 PM »
Yay! I'm glad it worked! You can make some and freeze it for a quick weekday meal. I serve it with salad or taboule (made quick with couscous instead of  bulgur).

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2008, 10:37:05 AM »
Just saw this thread, and wanted to add -- I've brought hot dishes in the car for over two hours and kept them servably hot -- I put them in a cooler bag with a hot pack (like the kind you use on an injury and heat up in the microwave) or two, and some towels to insulate/take up any additional space in the bag.

I have a serious hot food fetish so I've done a lot of experimenting in how to keep food at a high temperature!

Offline Ileneforward

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, 11:17:36 AM »
 :specs:
@artbydmcbride

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 08:24:11 AM »
bump

Offline badger

• NTTAWWT
Hot Appetizers that Travel Well...
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2013, 08:59:54 PM »
Good timing. I need something to bring to a picnic and wanted to do something different.

So these are okay room temp? I've made and served it warm, but not room temp.
After all, one rarely boils a penis before insertion. - nnej

I routinely smash mirrors while walking underneath ladders just to fuck with the cosmos. - ZiggyStardust

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2013, 07:12:52 AM »
Good timing. I need something to bring to a picnic and wanted to do something different.

So these are okay room temp? I've made and served it warm, but not room temp.

I like them best at room temperature!

+-SUPPORT US