Author Topic: Why make baking pans that rust? Is there a brand that doesn't?  (Read 4146 times)

Offline floridagal

• The Runners
I have 3 baking pans that are just perfect - they are half the width of my oven and I adore them but they are rusting.  wtf?  I do put them in the dishwasher -- is that my issue? How much / what brand to I have to buy so I never deal with this again?  I want to throw them in the trash but not before I figure this out.

If I've learned nothing else, it's that people are crazy.
--RioG

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
Re: Why make baking pans that rust? Is there a brand that doesn't?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 09:23:05 PM »
This probably isn't what you are looking for, but I'm really loving stoneware baking pans these days. I have a couple of them from pampered chef, and they are the only ones I ever reach for anymore.

Offline floridagal

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 09:36:03 PM »
This probably isn't what you are looking for, but I'm really loving stoneware baking pans these days. I have a couple of them from pampered chef, and they are the only ones I ever reach for anymore.

If they're the right size .. that sounds like a great idea...
If I've learned nothing else, it's that people are crazy.
--RioG

Offline redkitty

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 08:26:51 AM »
If they're the right size .. that sounds like a great idea...

I don't think you throw bakeware into the dishwasher, though. In fact, I don't think you really wash them (scrape off any food bits and that's about it.)

if you figure out a brand that doesn't rust after putting into the dishwasher, please let me know. Because I haven't found one yet. I do have 3 cookie sheets that don't rust, but they don't have lips on them...so good for cookies and garlic bread, but not great for chicken or veggies.

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 10:23:59 AM »
My mother never ever ever washed a baking pan.  Scraped and wiped down, sure.  Water, never.  She is still using the baking pans she got as wedding shower gifts nearly 45 years ago.  They are all blackened and non-stick from years of seasoning (by use). Once when she was out of town, my dad took a grinder to her roasting pan to "clean" it up.  She has never forgiven him for bringing it back to new condition. :)

I have been through numerous high-tech and low-tech baking pans.  I'm not sure how much of it is washing and how much is different materials than what was in use back when my parents got married... nonetheless, I cannot convince my better half to stop washing them so I will never know.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 10:37:19 AM »
My mother never ever ever washed a baking pan.  Scraped and wiped down, sure.  Water, never.  She is still using the baking pans she got as wedding shower gifts nearly 45 years ago.  They are all blackened and non-stick from years of seasoning (by use). Once when she was out of town, my dad took a grinder to her roasting pan to "clean" it up.  She has never forgiven him for bringing it back to new condition. :)

I have been through numerous high-tech and low-tech baking pans.  I'm not sure how much of it is washing and how much is different materials than what was in use back when my parents got married... nonetheless, I cannot convince my better half to stop washing them so I will never know.

My BFF is a tremendous baker, and she is the same about her cookie sheets. Never ever washes them, just wipes them down. She learned the trick from an older aunt.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 11:05:22 AM »
i think it's the drying cycle in the dishwasher that contributes most to the degradation of baking sheets (NB : i have no actual scientific proof that this is the cause).  i hand-wash and dry.

+-SUPPORT US