Author Topic: Instant pot?  (Read 221240 times)

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
Re: Instant pot?
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2016, 01:53:07 PM »
so, Natasha, what is the verdict?  I have been making yogurt, salmon, beans, and kale in mine repeatedly, some other things just once.  I say it was a worthwhile buy.

I still haven't gotten one but I'm convinced I should.

how much ice cream?  I've always wanted to do homemade yogurt but have limited success the normal (counter top) way.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

I've been searching the thread, trying to figure out who has been making ice cream with it.  :!: Doh!

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2016, 02:34:21 PM »
I still haven't gotten one but I'm convinced I should.

I've been searching the thread, trying to figure out who has been making ice cream with it.  :!: Doh!

You dont make ice cream in it, but yogurt. I am so eage to get back to the usa and get back to my regular routine.

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2016, 03:40:27 PM »
When I first saw the thread title, I thought it would be about making pot!

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2016, 04:57:28 PM »
You dont make ice cream in it, but yogurt. I am so eage to get back to the usa and get back to my regular routine.

When run amok said "how much ice cream?" It threw me off. ;)

I got it! So far everything I've made turned out well. I loved the Sicilian vegetables recipe in the cookbook.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2016, 03:34:35 PM »
Amazon prime has it on sale for $70 today.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2016, 04:56:30 PM »
I made this tonight and it turned out ok, i should have quick released it on the last step, the cauliflower is a bit mushier than I would have liked. I know it is trial and error. I added a little extra curry powder but it probably has a lot to do with brand of curry powder.
(the Instant Pot directions are at the end)
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2010/12/curried-cauliflower-sweet-potato-soup.html
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2016, 06:17:51 PM »
For MoS: my Greek yogurt recipe with IP. 
I put one gallon of milk (2%) in instant pot, press "yogurt" and then "adjust".  This brings milk to a boil.
when finished, I add 1/2 cup of powdered milk and use the hand blender for smoothness.
when cooled to about 112-120 degrees, I add 3-4 large spoonfuls of store-bought plain yogurt, fat-free.  (not Greek yogurt)
then close the IP, press "yogurt" and let it sit overnight.  (The IP goes automatically into keep warm at the end of the cycle.)
When I wake up, I put the yogurt in the fridge.
When yogurt is cold, put yogurt in a strainer lined with coffee filter and strain 2-5 hours, as you wish.

The store bought yogurt will determine the flavor of the yogurt.  I use the store brand that Price Rite sells.

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2016, 06:41:17 PM »
I put one gallon of milk (2%) in instant pot, press "yogurt" and then "adjust".  This brings milk to a boil.
when finished, I add 1/2 cup of powdered milk and use the hand blender for smoothness.
when cooled to about 112-120 degrees, I add 3-4 large spoonfuls of store-bought plain yogurt, fat-free.  (not Greek yogurt)
then close the IP, press "yogurt" and let it sit overnight.  (The IP goes automatically into keep warm at the end of the cycle.)
When yogurt is cold, put yogurt in a strainer lined with coffee filter and strain 2-5 hours, as you wish.

The store bought yogurt will determine the flavor of the yogurt.  I use the store brand that Price Rite sells.

Thank you!

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2016, 06:42:40 PM »

How do you know when it is cooled?

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2016, 06:54:38 PM »

I've always used a food thermometer.  However, I recently read this article that says that if you use pasteurized milk, you might not really need to scald it, especially if you're going to strain it into greek yogurt. 

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2016, 08:02:22 PM »
Woah...people who are making raw milk yogurt and not putting it through a kill cycle are begging for lysteria. Do they know and not care or not know? Pasturized milk is pretty safe though i think.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2016, 11:55:43 AM »

I use a meat thermometer.  I do not use pasteurized milk, because it's far more expensive for no real benefit to me.  But it's true, if pasteurized, no need to do the first step of bringing to almost boil.

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2016, 11:56:40 AM »

What does this mean?  I have been scared to try yogurt, but your directions make it seem so easy.  I just don't follow that part.

thanks!

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2016, 11:58:06 AM »
Woah...people who are making raw milk yogurt and not putting it through a kill cycle are begging for lysteria. Do they know and not care or not know? Pasturized milk is pretty safe though i think.

Every yogurt recipe I ever read mentions that the boils step is essential, except for pasteurized milk.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2016, 12:02:11 PM »
What does this mean?  I have been scared to try yogurt, but your directions make it seem so easy.  I just don't follow that part.

thanks!

you get regular, plain yogurt when the instant pot finishes "cooking" it.  In order to make greek yogurt, you have to make it thicker, i.e., strain it.  This will separate the liquid whey from the yogurt and the remaining yogurt will have a thick consistency, like Greek yogurt.  Greek yogurt is nothing else than plain yogurt that was strained.
the liquid that remains is a quality protein, but I don't like the taste, so I throw it out.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2016, 02:40:39 PM »
Every yogurt recipe I ever read mentions that the boils step is essential, except for pasteurized milk.

There are people in the comments section of that article talking about using raw milk to make yogurt and skipping the heating step.

Just curious what you mean when you say pasturized milk has no benefit to you. 

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2016, 04:18:36 PM »
There are people in the comments section of that article talking about using raw milk to make yogurt and skipping the heating step.

Just curious what you mean when you say pasturized milk has no benefit to you. 

Oops, my error. I meant ultra-high pasteurized milk that does not have to be refrigerated. As far as I know, that is the one that definitely does not need boiling.  (Buying that has no benefit for me since I live close to a grocery store and do not need to store milk; that is what I meant. It's a more expensive product.)

I always buy the refrigerated milk in the grocery store, the kind that had flash pasteurization. I prefer to err on the safe side and boil. Flash pasteurization is not as safe as the ultra high. 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2016, 04:22:25 PM »
Got this from the library!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2016, 05:03:36 PM »
I think there is a lot of trial and error, kinda over cooked sweet potatoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• Passed on to another Brane
  • has no fucks to give
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2016, 06:25:48 PM »
Agreed.  And i think also preference... people are doing their hard boiled eggs in wildly varying times and all saying "perfect!."

We do a lot of stir fry's with cubed chicken thighs, vegetables, and brown rice... i did a simple marinade thing last night... it was 4 boned thighs, about an hour marinade and 9 minutes on manual, quick release.  Incredibly good and shockingly tender.  Like something you slow cooked for a couple of days.  I hope it turns out as well with veggies in with the chicken.  I'm very happy so far.   
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

+-SUPPORT US