Author Topic: Ch-Ch-Ch-Chia seeds!  (Read 10453 times)

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
Ch-Ch-Ch-Chia seeds!
« on: March 06, 2015, 07:54:55 AM »
I bought some on a whim at Trader Joes the other day. What to do with them?
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
Re: Ch-Ch-Ch-Chia seeds!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 07:25:34 AM »
I don't know either. My problem with chia seed foods is that the seeds often are stuck between my teeth.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 02:47:28 PM »
I have never eaten them but they were on sale!
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 03:38:19 PM »
We make chia pudding occasionally.  It's required of Asheville residents to bring chia pudding to a playdate and stare down your nose at the parent of a child with a prepackaged snack.  (kidding)

I kind of like it, though.  The TJ's package has the proportions and I generally use coconut milk, chia seeds, date syrup (I make it when I'm desperate during the whole life challenge) and things like finely minced apple or cocoa powder.  It has to set overnight in the fridge to gel.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 06:17:27 PM »
I will have to turn the package over, that is where i got them :D

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 07:05:04 PM »
I thought you had cut grains out of your diet.  Or is chia a seed?  Even if it is a seed, is there any particular difference between seeds and grains as far as diet is concerned?  If I had a supply of chia, I would probably use it as God intended. 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 07:41:18 PM »
I believe it is a seed. Quinoa is a seed so I can eat that. I eat sunflower seeds and tahini often.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 07:42:55 PM »
chia = seed
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 07:45:29 PM »
So what's the difference between seeds and grains as far as diet is concerned?   

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 06:56:12 AM »
So what's the difference between seeds and grains as far as diet is concerned?
I do not know but dr said seeds and nuts ok, grains not ok, for me.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 10:00:30 AM »
I was intrigued by Radial's question, and did some googling.  Happened to come across this, but did not further investigate.

"Pseudocereal grains or alternative grains act like grains when we cook them but come from a different kind of plant. These include quinoa, buckwheat, and amaranth. A lot of people say these aren’t grains, when what they mean is that they are not cereal grains. They still belong in the biological grain family."

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2015, 10:14:24 AM »
I was intrigued by Radial's question, and did some googling.  Happened to come across this, but did not further investigate.

"Pseudocereal grains or alternative grains act like grains when we cook them but come from a different kind of plant. These include quinoa, buckwheat, and amaranth. A lot of people say these aren’t grains, when what they mean is that they are not cereal grains. They still belong in the biological grain family."
I thought amaranth and buckwheat were considered gluten free grains. I do not eat any of the three, but i do eat seeds like flax seeds, sunflower seeds, etc.

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2015, 03:52:23 PM »
I add them to my oatmeal. They have a ton of fiber. Just a tbsp.
“A good coat is like a good lawyer. it covers your ass.”_Jack Reacher, Without Fail

"There is no bad weather, only bad clothing choices"_hally

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2015, 08:10:47 AM »
funny, I picked some up for the first time because they were deeply discounted and seemed appealing at the time. 

the package directions say to mix in a 1:2 ratio with milk and let sit 5 minutes.  the mix doesn't look any different after 5 minutes than it did when I put the milk in initially.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2015, 08:37:40 AM »
I have a feeling that I bought them and they will most likely just sit in the cupboard for a long time. Has anyone made pudding with them? Is it like tapioca pudding?

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2015, 08:44:45 AM »
Ha! I had DH bring me back 2 packs from the states and I was coming here looking for ways to use them.

Can I put some in my smoothies like I do ground flax seed?
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2015, 09:14:42 AM »
mg, the back of my package says: "Enjoy as a breakfast cereal, hot or cold; or add to yogurt, smoothies, oatmeal or salads."

in the interest of full disclosure, I have a chia, buckwheat and hemp mix, but I don't see why you couldn't add to smoothies same as flax.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2015, 11:28:46 AM »
I know people use them in egg free baking instead of flax to replace eggs. I am not sure the ratios, for flax meal, i do 1 tbs flax meal whisked together with 3 tbs hot water.

Offline cindyleigh

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2015, 11:54:04 AM »
I sprinkle them I salad and add them to homemade bread and granola.

Offline wherestheportojohn

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2015, 08:46:01 PM »
I stir them into oatmeal and yogurt.

On, Wisconsin

+-SUPPORT US