Author Topic: Speaking of cheating  (Read 11676 times)

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

• I really have a life. It's around here someplace....
Re: Speaking of cheating
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2018, 05:11:20 PM »
This guy was in his 50's and ran up to 182 miles in a week for training plus speedwork.
Runners World:
"recognizes that the body weight factor plays into his improved times, but adds that he's comfortable with his current regimen and so sees no reason to experiment with fewer miles at this time. He believes that doing roughly 40 percent of his mileage on the treadmill is easier on his body, where he runs on a 3 percent decline, which gives him faster turnover.

Zalokar has his sights set on the 2013 Rotterdam Marathon and a new personal best, possibly even a sub-2:30. "There are always new races to run, new mountains to climb, and new countries to visit," he says.

TRAINING REGIMEN

September 2-15, 2012, in preparation for Oct. 7 Chicago Marathon (2:35:10)

SUNDAY: Half marathon race as training run in 1:22:47; 15 miles total
MONDAY AM: Half marathon tempo run on treadmill in 1:21, 3-mile cool-down; NOON: 10 miles on road, easy (8-9 minutes/mile); PM: 7 miles on road, easy
TUESDAY AM: 12 miles on treadmill (7-7:20 minutes/mile); NOON: (track) 2-mile warm-up, 10 × 400 @ 78-71 seconds with 200m jog between and 1.5-mile cool-down
WEDNESDAY AM: 2-mile warm-up, 8-mile tempo run in 44:26 on treadmill, 3-mile cool-down; NOON: 7 miles on road, easy; PM: 6 miles on road, easy
THURSDAY AM: 14 miles on treadmill, easy; NOON: 9 miles on road, easy
FRIDAY: 11 miles on treadmill, easy
SATURDAY AM: 2-mile warm-up, 7×2-mile repeats on treadmill at 11.4-11.2 mph, 4×400m @ 13.1 mph, 3-mile cool-down; NOON: 4 miles on road, easy
SUNDAY AM: 32 miles on road, easy; PM: 8 miles on road, easy
MONDAY AM: Half marathon tempo run in 1:20 on treadmill, cool-down until 16 miles total; NOON: 9 miles on road, easy; PM: 7 miles on road, easy
TUESDAY AM: 13 miles on treadmill, easy; NOON: (track) half-mile warm-up, 8×800m @ 2:49-2:39 with 200m jog between, 1.5-mile cool-down
WEDNESDAY AM: 2-mile warm-up, 8 mile tempo run in 43:19 on treadmill, 4-mile cool-down; NOON: 7 miles on road, easy; PM: 6 miles on road, easy
THURSDAY AM: 16 miles on treadmill, easy; NOON: 9 miles on road, easy
FRIDAY: 12 miles on treadmill, easy
SATURDAY AM: 2-mile warm-up, 7×2-mile repeats on treadmill @ 11.5-11.2 mph, 4×400s @ 13.2 mph, 4-mile cool-down; NOON: 5 miles on road, easy"

he's in my age group, but known as more of a marathoner and has had a great string of success at that distance - I was 2 for 2 on him this fall at 15K and 10K XC.
I'll stick to running, thank you.

Offline Fred

• Turgid
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2018, 07:58:51 AM »
Yes, were you born at altitude? How much Nordic skiing do you do at altitude.
Congrats.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2018, 08:59:53 AM »
Yes born at altitude--so maybe that helps some? That's the theory anyway.

Ski about once a week, at 8500-9500 ft or sometimes 10000+ if I do a big climb. And I run at 7000-8000 about 2x a week, other days at 5200-6000 ft.

Zalokar was not running as fast as 2011-2016, and doing some shorter races instead of the marathon. Maybe he's only a 60 mph instead of 180? 

Offline Fred

• Turgid
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2018, 11:35:02 AM »
Yes born at altitude--so maybe that helps some? That's the theory anyway.

Ski about once a week, at 8500-9500 ft or sometimes 10000+ if I do a big climb. And I run at 7000-8000 about 2x a week, other days at 5200-6000 ft.

Zalokar was not running as fast as 2011-2016, and doing some shorter races instead of the marathon. Maybe he's only a 60 mph instead of 180?

On the Runners World page in the mileage it says a tempo run of 8 miles which I calculate at 5:25 a mile. Maybe it on a decline on a treadmill, but if its actually tempo, you would expect race pace at 5:10 to 5:15 a mile.

If he dropped mileage, I would expect 5 minute pace from him. So is it all bullshit?

Offline Fred

• Turgid
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2018, 11:39:31 AM »
My buddy did Nordic skiing in an altitude simulator in the early 80's and he ran 51 minutes for 10 miles at low altitude. ( Crim )

Ryan Hall lived at Big Bear altitude in his formative years.

I'd like to see the science behind altitude born or raised runners.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 11:43:47 AM by Fred »

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
  • Non-Repentant Slowtwitcher
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2018, 12:25:57 PM »
Chris Froome is from Kenya
'We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be' ― Kurt Vonnegut

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2018, 02:54:27 PM »
On the Runners World page in the mileage it says a tempo run of 8 miles which I calculate at 5:25 a mile. Maybe it on a decline on a treadmill, but if its actually tempo, you would expect race pace at 5:10 to 5:15 a mile.

If he dropped mileage, I would expect 5 minute pace from him. So is it all bullshit?

Interesting - yeah a tempo like that indicates sub low or 32 10K and sub 2:30 marathon fitness, which may well been close to where he was in his early 50s. But maybe it's catching up. I noticed his 5K time at USATF (Syracuse) last fall wasn't off the charts like his longer stuff has been, and he was at about the same level for later races. Maybe taking it easier for the fall.

I was totally intimidated lining up next to him in October.

Offline Fred

• Turgid
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2018, 04:38:54 PM »
Chris Froome is from Kenya

Wow. First 12 years at 5889 feet altitude.

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2018, 12:39:19 PM »
That's fascinating that progesterone is in the cocktail of performance-enhancing drugs, when I've taken it for fertility treatments it's made me feel like crap. Even thinking about going for a run was exhausting.

Offline Fast Eddie

• The Runners
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2018, 10:37:50 PM »

speaking of which, WMA championships in Toronto next year - I am Loco enough to consider doing the 10000 m.

Let me know if you do make it to Toronto.  MEETUPMEETUPMEETUP!
Live, learn, have amazing sex, and move on!!  :D - floridagal

Offline Plugging Along

• The Runners
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2018, 12:11:50 AM »
That's fascinating that progesterone is in the cocktail of performance-enhancing drugs, when I've taken it for fertility treatments it's made me feel like crap. Even thinking about going for a run was exhausting.

I think progesterone might be a masking drug used to hide the other stuff.
Barry Bonds was taking a fertility drug to hide the steroids.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2018, 09:42:03 AM »
Let me know if you do make it to Toronto.  MEETUPMEETUPMEETUP!

I'll let you know. It's on my radar, these things don't come to North America very often.

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
'We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be' ― Kurt Vonnegut

Offline Fred

• Turgid
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2018, 09:40:02 AM »
I'll let you know. It's on my radar, these things don't come to North America very often.

I ran North American masters 400 meters in Toronto at 40. I will come and cheer.

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2018, 10:23:12 AM »
I ran North American masters 400 meters in Toronto at 40. I will come and cheer.

Take this shit offline

Focus, dipshits

Offline RandMart

• The Runners

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2018, 03:51:44 PM »
56 year old triathlete busted for therapeutic T: https://www.usada.org/bill-beyer-accepts-doping-sanction/
But it's largely procedural--he didn't report his use and get a therapeutic use exception (TUE).

Meanwhile 44 year old cyclist Jeffery Miller was suspended for using a testosterone-HGH cocktail. https://www.usada.org/jeffery-miller-accepts-sanction/

Offline SnarlyMarly

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2018, 04:10:30 PM »
56 year old triathlete busted for therapeutic T: https://www.usada.org/bill-beyer-accepts-doping-sanction/
But it's largely procedural--he didn't report his use and get a therapeutic use exception (TUE).

Meanwhile 44 year old cyclist Jeffery Miller was suspended for using a testosterone-HGH cocktail. https://www.usada.org/jeffery-miller-accepts-sanction/

Like my "friend" you wonder how someone wakes up someday and says "I am going to start taking a bunch of banned substances"

https://enduranceworks.com/images/stories/downloadable_pdf/tdc_i11_beyer_project.pdf

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2018, 04:38:44 PM »

Like my "friend" you wonder how someone wakes up someday and says "I am going to start taking a bunch of banned substances"

https://enduranceworks.com/images/stories/downloadable_pdf/tdc_i11_beyer_project.pdf

You could ask if she has a TUE and if not, maybe she should get one. And if she doesn't (over a period of time) you could drop a dime on her. 

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2018, 02:17:36 PM »
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/01/25/sports/gil-roberts-doping-kissing.html

When [sprinter Gil] Roberts failed a drug test, he mounted one of the more novel defenses in the history of sports doping. He said that he had kissed [girlfriend Alex] Salazar passionately, and that her sinus medication had entered his body.

On Thursday, an appeals court sided with the passionate kissing defense. Roberts was exonerated.

“There could have been tongue kissing, but it was more that she kissed me so soon after taking the medicine,” Roberts said Thursday, expressing relief that he had evaded a ban of up to four years for trace amounts of probenecid, a masking agent prohibited by sports regulators for its ability to disguise other drugs.

+-SUPPORT US