Author Topic: Headlight or running lamp recommendation  (Read 26878 times)

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
Headlight or running lamp recommendation
« on: October 27, 2014, 08:44:31 PM »
I've been running outside pre-dawn and am pretty sure I need a light of some kind.  I already wear a blinky Nathan vest but some areas where I run it's hard to see the road.  This morning I ended up in a little section of trail that was pretty damn dark and I had to tiptoe/step/feel my way through it until I could see a little.

So what's out there?  I guess we just assume I'm going to look like an even bigger dork, but I'm OK with that.

Thanks!

Offline caito

• The Runners
Re: Headlight or running lamp recommendation
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 08:47:22 PM »
Petzl makes great running headlamps.  Around $30?   The light is good and you can adjust the angle.  Surprisingly not bouncy.   They are super nerdy, but in the best possible way!  I am secretly excited to need my headlamp for early runs this time of year.  :D
"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 08:58:09 PM »
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 09:45:10 PM by Eco Ellen »

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 09:00:10 PM »
Oh yeah, and they come in pretty colors now!
"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 09:17:12 PM »
I have a Petzl headlamp, but I don't use it much.  It would be great for night riding where you are going fast enough that you need quick visual feedback.  But I don't ride at night.  I run or walk and there's enough ambient light where I live that you can get away with a flashlight to illuminate the occasional dark patch.  I use the M20SX-L2 Warrior Olight,.  I'm sure you can get by with something much cheaper, but one of the nice things about the olight is that it's sturdy enough to provide some significant self defense advantages.  That bezel isn't serrated for purely decorative purposes. 

Ellen, that's a pretty bigass image.  Might be better like this.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 05:18:08 AM »
Thanks radial bi would never carry a big flashlight while running though!  I hate carrying anything. Sorry for the UBB fail.

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 08:46:40 AM »
Iuse an ll bean one.. I don't think it's geared for running though... One thing I find is I have to wear a hat because it hurts my head... I want to look for some kind of clip on one...

One unexpected plus of running head lamps is.. when you lose your power, they are great for doing things around the house hands free!

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 09:20:13 AM »
Thanks for the comments!  UF, let me know how you like it?  I don't need to buy anything this very second, but in the next couple of weeks.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 09:21:23 AM »
Actually I have probably $200 in points and credit at LL Bean right now.  Will check them out, MoS.  Thanks for the tip.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 09:30:19 AM »
This one is more expensive - $95 - but it has a rechargeable lithium ion battery, and I could get it for no cash out of pocket.  It has "reactive lighting" which I gather means it will change power output depending on ambient light.  Thoughts?:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/80247?feat=506866-GN2&page=petzl-tikka-rxp-headlamp&attrValue_0=Black

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 10:14:03 AM »
I have a cheap Petzl.  It has three levels of brightness.  I have used it for running as well as camping.  Buy the cheap one, then deposit the $70 savings into a college savings account.   :)
I would get drunk on Bud Light with Dylan Mulvaney.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 10:32:48 AM »
Iuse an ll bean one.. I don't think it's geared for running though... One thing I find is I have to wear a hat because it hurts my head... I want to look for some kind of clip on one...

One unexpected plus of running head lamps is.. when you lose your power, they are great for doing things around the house hands free!

Mine is uncomfortable to wear for any significant period.  But you're right about using it around the house.  It comes in handy when you need both hands free in dimly lit places.  I used mine recently when I installed a TV antenna in the attic.  It was worth the headache :)

Offline JBM

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 10:39:48 AM »
I have a $20 Petzl one and I wear it with a hat. It hurts after a while, so thankfully I've never really worn it for long periods of time. Mine is pink from REI.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 10:41:05 AM »
I have a cheap Petzl.  It has three levels of brightness.  I have used it for running as well as camping.  Buy the cheap one, then deposit the $70 savings into a college savings account.   :)

I can't deposit LL Bean points in a college savings account, unfortunately.

I can buy boot socks, though.

/win

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2014, 10:41:20 AM »
Jeez, do they all hurt?

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2014, 10:55:31 AM »
I have a black diamond. I wear it with a hat.

Offline ctjim

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2014, 11:23:57 AM »
I don't wear one for morning runs, now.
There are enough streetlights so I can see ok, and I wear enough reflective gear that hopefully I can be seen.

When we lived in the sticks where there weren't streetlights on our road, about 10 years ago, I tried a petzl headlamp but didn't like theweight on my noggin. I'm guesing they're lighter now. I ended up carrying a big maglite flashlight instead.
Luckily there was never much traffic, usually only the newspaper delivery person.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2014, 11:46:09 AM »
If you are on trails, i highly suggest a headlamp + a small hand held LED flashlight. I have Petzl headlamps, but DH has a Remington one that has a battery pack and it is easily 10000000 x's brighter than my Petzl.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2014, 11:50:35 AM »
I was only on a trail by accident. 

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2014, 12:02:56 PM »

1.  I do use mine to pick tomatoes in the dark.  And sometimes to do stuff in the garage when it is too cold to open the door for more light (just not enough light in there).  But yeah, it gives me a headache.  My neighborhood does not have all the sidewalks and streetlamps yet, so I wear it around my neck to go for a walk.  I'd rather have something on a belt than on my head for running.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2014, 12:11:25 PM »
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2014, 12:31:49 PM »
I ended up carrying a big maglite flashlight instead.

Yeah, I went with the flashlight solution too.  The one I referenced upthread is small enough to clip to your waistband.  It's only 5.5 inches long and weighs just 157 g with batteries.  Three different lighting levels with the highest one being a blinding 550 lumens.  Works for me :)

Offline ctjim

• The Runners
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2014, 01:33:55 PM »
Yeah, I went with the flashlight solution too.  The one I referenced upthread is small enough to clip to your waistband.  It's only 5.5 inches long and weighs just 157 g with batteries.  Three different lighting levels with the highest one being a blinding 550 lumens.  Works for me :)

"tactical flashlight". Love it.
The big mag I ran with was about as heavy as a Louisville Slugger.

Offline i am party

• The Runners
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2014, 02:49:19 PM »
I love my Petzl "Zipka" with the retractable "headband."

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2014, 02:55:08 PM »
I love my Petzl "Zipka" with the retractable "headband."

Does that one hurt?

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2014, 07:45:02 PM »
I've been waiting for you! :D

Offline Hobie1

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2014, 08:30:18 PM »
I have an old Petzl Tikka but I don't wear it much.  I find that when it is really cold in the morning all I see is fog in the light so it defeats the purpose.

I've noticed that many people wear knucklelights or carry small flashlights.   For some reason the new trend is to get as much candlepower as possible so you can blind the poor SOB coming towards you on the path.  The other morning I came upon a pod of female runners, all of whom had 5 million candlepower headlights or flashlights that they flashed in my face as they yelled good morning and good job.  I couldn't see shit for about two blocks.
โ€œItโ€™s easier to fool people than convince them they have been fooled.โ€

-Mark Twain

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2014, 08:47:55 PM »
For some reason the new trend is to get as much candlepower as possible so you can blind the poor SOB coming towards you on the path. 

I run my flashlight on the lowest or second lowest power setting with a red filter so nobody's night vision is going to be impaired.  But I kind of like having 550 lumens just a click or two away.  If/when things go bump in the night, it's nice to be able to light up the immediate environment like a surgical amphitheater. 

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2014, 09:12:02 PM »
I had heard about knuckle lights as well.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2014, 10:44:01 PM »
Maybe it's kind of like a Doppler thing? A driver sees a white light and he expects it to be coming toward him, no matter which side of the road it's on; he sees a red light and expects that it's moving away. A red light on the front, coming towards him, might make for some confusion and could cause an accident.

Or maybe it's a non-Doppler thing.  When I see a reddish light I think, hey, that's something I need to pay attention to.  If I don't, it might result in an accident (if it's a traffic light) or a citation (if it's a cop).  White light is no big deal.  :shrug:

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2014, 12:03:54 AM »
I borrowed my friend's knuckle lights during my last Ragnar and really liked them.  I was running on uneven ground on the shoulder of the road and it was much easier to see my footing with them, and I was less annoyed by holding them than I was by the headlamp I was also wearing.  I'm not sure I'll pony up the cash for my own pair since I don't run outside at night unless I'm running a relay race, but if I knew I'd use them on a regular basis I would.

Offline nadra's babydaddy

• The Runners
  • Official CH Trainwreck Historian
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2014, 12:25:21 AM »
I borrowed my friend's knuckle lights during my last Ragnar and really liked them.  I was running on uneven ground on the shoulder of the road and it was much easier to see my footing with them, and I was less annoyed by holding them than I was by the headlamp I was also wearing.  I'm not sure I'll pony up the cash for my own pair since I don't run outside at night unless I'm running a relay race, but if I knew I'd use them on a regular basis I would.

Running through Las Vegas would definitely be the optimal time to have some of those!

Offline ihop

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2014, 10:07:20 AM »
I can't remember the brand of my headlamp but know that it is a "junior" size.  The adult ones were too large.  And I, too, have to wear it with a hat.

I also bought one that clips to the hat or visor bill.  It was very light weight but it only lasted a few weeks before I couldn't get it to turn on.   :(
La madre degli imbecilli รจ sempre incinta.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2014, 10:20:15 AM »
I'm leaning towards the knuckle lights now, which is too bad, because they don't sell those at LL Bean, where I wouldn't have to put out any cash.

Offline JBM

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2014, 01:52:05 PM »
There are lights that clip on to the bill of a hat - in fact I think LLBean has them, but I am pretty sure for some reason Home Depot has them as well. I have a friend who uses the knuckle lights and is now nicknamed ' Knuckles' as a result. I know another lady who is tiny and somehow manages to shimmy into the strap and wears the light around her chest, under her non-boobs. I am not sure if she is so thin just expanding the straps does it, or if extends it somehow. So, lots of options, you just need to decide what will work for you.

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2014, 04:20:23 PM »

Do they fit over gloves?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2014, 11:32:52 PM »
Black Diamond Cosmo - $29.95 at REI
The Black Diamond Spot headlamp is widely respected, and at $39.95 from LL Bean is a price/performance winner that Ellen should jump on.  Check the reviews.  Maybe it will end up hurting her head, but at that price I wouldn't hesitate to give it a go.  If it hurts, send it back and get some of those goofy knuckle lights (or a flashlight). 

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2014, 12:23:03 AM »
Do they fit over gloves?

It was June when I used them, but I assume that if they fit on man hands they would fit on my small gloved hands.

Offline i am party

• The Runners
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2014, 12:00:12 PM »
Does that one hurt?

No.  Can't even feel it.  It's heavenly.

Offline Honey Badger

• The Runners
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2014, 09:36:14 PM »
$5.00 off Knuckle Lights on their website knuckle lights.com with coupon code: KLRFM5
I think I'm going to try them.  It's pretty dark here and lots of critters and wildlife out in the early hours.
They come in pink; ellen's favorite color.  :heartbeat:
I think wearing a headlamp would bug the hell out of me.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 09:38:47 PM by Honey Badger »

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2014, 10:53:43 PM »
Hey! Thanks for the coupon!

But :skep: on the pink comment.

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2014, 07:27:35 AM »
I'm curious about knuckle lights, too - people who wear headlamps with a hat, do you mean a cap with a visor/brim? Does that block the light? (I feel like this is an incredibly dumb question.) I can't figure out how to make that work, and I pretty much always wear a cap until winter when I switch to a winter hat to cover my ears, no visor. Knuckle lights seem like they'd get around that and would work no matter what's on (or in!) my head.
This space for rent.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2014, 07:30:51 AM »
I'm gonna buy the knuckle lights.
C, I hardly ever wear a hat except in the rain.

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2014, 07:34:09 AM »
I think hats are a short hair thing. I can't think of a time I've run without one, except in costume at Halloween.
This space for rent.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2014, 08:50:31 AM »
I can't imagine why I would wear a hat unless to keep the rain out of my eyes. Otherwise they make me hot and uncomfortable.

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2014, 10:09:11 AM »
Imagine that you have less hair. A lot less.
This space for rent.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2014, 08:54:22 AM »
I ordered the knuckle lights just now.  Also I ordered pink because that's the color S wanted me to get.  :sigh:

But got free shipping and the $5 coupon, so total cost $34.99.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2014, 11:25:58 AM »
I'm curious about knuckle lights, too - people who wear headlamps with a hat, do you mean a cap with a visor/brim? Does that block the light? (I feel like this is an incredibly dumb question.) I can't figure out how to make that work, and I pretty much always wear a cap until winter when I switch to a winter hat to cover my ears, no visor. Knuckle lights seem like they'd get around that and would work no matter what's on (or in!) my head.

yes with a brim and no it doesn't  block the light. I dont point mine directly down though.

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2014, 01:56:15 PM »
Thanks, MM!
This space for rent.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2014, 11:15:26 AM »
I live in the land of dark and hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate headlamps worn on head.

The zipka is a pretty good alternative because you can actually hold it also (which you can do with any headlamp, but a little more cumbersome).

Last year, after trying out a few peopel's knuckle lights, I decided to just spring for the $40 and get a pair of my own. I usually only use one of them. Which is also good because I can keep one in my car kit and one in my house kit. :) http://www.amazon.com/Knuckle-Lights-BLUE/dp/B00847KVN2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415030867&sr=8-1&keywords=knuckle+lights

Headlamps are a great "hands free" light. They're not the best option for lighting your runs, however.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2014, 11:44:33 AM »
I just got email that my pink knuckle lights shipped.  :)

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2014, 01:03:48 PM »
In the trail race I did a couple of weeks ago, two of my loops were in the dark and they did a lot of zigzagging on the hills, so you could see headlamps bobbing all over the place. It was very cool. The only thing I didn't like is that at times, my shadow would slowly become visible in front of me and I knew it was because someone was coming up behind me and I was about to be passed.  :grr:

A friend of mine had the hat with the lamps built in, and another who does a lot of ultras had the handheld. And another whose headlamp had a green setting, and she liked it a lot. Didn't see any knuckle lights.

Offline ihop

« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2014, 03:45:19 PM »
I just ordered a pair of knuckle lights.  I don't use my headlamp without a hat and sometimes I don't wear a hat (especially when it is hot).

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2014, 09:50:52 AM »
They're out for delivery! I thought they wouldn't be here until tomorrow but they'll be here by the time I get home from work!

:D :D

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2014, 09:46:55 PM »
Last night, I saw three different people running down by the lake with knuckle lights.  They aren't very bright, but that's probably a virtue.  No chance of blinding oncoming traffic (like me) but enough light to see where you are stepping.  It's pretty dark out there in the evenings with the advent of DST.  Last night was no big deal because there was a substantial moon.  After my eyes were dark-adapted I could see fine in the moonlight.  But I did break out the flashlight at one point when I heard some commotion on the lakeshore.  It turned out to be a couple of beavers chowing down on whatever beavers eat.  It was pretty cool having enough light to see them clearly. 

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2014, 04:28:08 AM »
I just ordered a pair.. I don't mind my headlamp but these seem cool too

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2014, 09:10:14 AM »
I ran with them this morning.  They were very comfortable and bright.  One of them came with a defective battery door cover (I couldn't get it open without the butt end of a fork to pry it) so I sent an email to the company last night.

Otherwise, comfortable and seems like just what I needed.  I did try them on with gloves and they were fine.  I could see needing to use only one of them instead of both.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2014, 10:42:49 AM »
I have a cheap Coleman head lamp.  I bought it for early morning running, but I use it for all sorts of everything.  Any excuse.  I haven't held a light in my hand since I bought it.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2014, 10:43:19 AM »
Last night, I saw three different people running down by the lake with knuckle lights.  They aren't very bright, but that's probably a virtue.  No chance of blinding oncoming traffic (like me) but enough light to see where you are stepping.  It's pretty dark out there in the evenings with the advent of DST.  Last night was no big deal because there was a substantial moon.  After my eyes were dark-adapted I could see fine in the moonlight.  But I did break out the flashlight at one point when I heard some commotion on the lakeshore.  It turned out to be a couple of beavers chowing down on whatever beavers eat.  It was pretty cool having enough light to see them clearly. 

IME, you get more light at your feet-- even though they produce less light from the source.

The downside (IMO) is that you are potentially a little less visible with knuckle lights than a headlamp. Part of the reason I wear a headlamp is in an effor to Be SEEN. Though, admittedly, even when I am lit up like a friggin christmas tree, drivers just don't seem to see me!

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2014, 01:15:01 PM »
IME, you get more light at your feet-- even though they produce less light from the source.

The downside (IMO) is that you are potentially a little less visible with knuckle lights than a headlamp. Part of the reason I wear a headlamp is in an effor to Be SEEN. Though, admittedly, even when I am lit up like a friggin christmas tree, drivers just don't seem to see me!

I swear some times when I have my headlight on it seems to attract drivers!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2014, 01:28:07 PM »
I swear some times when I have my headlight on it seems to attract drivers!

Yes, this is actually a different kind of danger-- a driver being inadertantly drawn toward you because the eye is drawn toward you.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2014, 02:58:19 PM »
Yes, this is actually a different kind of danger-- a driver being inadertantly drawn toward you because the eye is drawn toward you.

It's a real thing, and drunk drivers are even more likely to "go to the light."  :yikes:  I don't try to light myself up at night.  If you want to run over this ninja, you're gonna have to work for it. 

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2014, 03:15:51 PM »
The founder of the company wrote back and is sending me a new battery compartment cover.  :D

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2014, 09:17:29 PM »
 :heartbeat:

that's how I felt when Klipsch told me they were just mailing the part I needed to replace.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2014, 02:04:15 PM »
Just wanted to check in here to say the knuckle lights are PERFECT for what I need. 

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2014, 03:14:26 PM »
Just wanted to check in here to say the knuckle lights are PERFECT for what I need. 

Yay! That reminds me that I should put a review up on amazon for my knuckle lights. I really love them.

Offline ihop

« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2014, 04:08:57 PM »
I have used my new knuckle lights several times this week and so far I love them.  I use them primarily so people/cars can see me.  They are comfortable and I don't have to wear a hat (like I do when I use my headlamp) or wear a reflective vest.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2014, 06:36:41 PM »
Well, apparently there IS a light you can wear around your waist.  So I ordered one.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GRGAJU2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Although having twisted my ankle Tuesday, I'm delaying the "get running again" again.  (Broke a toe this summer).
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 06:39:56 PM by rocketgirl »

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2014, 06:47:10 PM »
Well, apparently there IS a light you can wear around your waist.  So I ordered one.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GRGAJU2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Although having twisted my ankle Tuesday, I'm delaying the "get running again" again.  (Broke a toe this summer).

I don't like things around my waist. Too bouncy.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #69 on: November 13, 2014, 07:19:49 PM »
Well, apparently there IS a light you can wear around your waist.

I'll be interested to hear how that works for you.  It would probably work fine for me, except in really cold weather when I have to wear some extra layers.  I wonder if the belt could handle the extra girth.  But how often does that kind of weather happen in Rocket City? 

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #70 on: November 13, 2014, 08:42:46 PM »
I'll be interested to hear how that works for you.  It would probably work fine for me, except in really cold weather when I have to wear some extra layers.  I wonder if the belt could handle the extra girth.  But how often does that kind of weather happen in Rocket City? 

Radial - I have to drain my outside faucets before bed tonight.  25 is really cold for November here.  There were two sizes.  I ordered S/M. There is a L/XL.

RA - yeah, I couldn't do the waist water-bottle thing, but a headlamp just gives me a tension headache.  Mostly I'm walking or I throw something in my bag in case I get caught out hiking too late and it gets dark (it's happened more than once...)  If it doesn't work for running, I'll probably still use it.  But I'll report back on if it's bouncy as soon as my ankle heals.  (Which I'm going hiking again not this weekend but the next because I have reservations at a state park and dammit I'm hiking.  Even if my ankle isn't 100%.  Gotta see if I can find my brace.)

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #71 on: November 14, 2014, 11:35:25 AM »
Glad you guys are liking the knuckle lights, Ellen and ihop.  All three of my relay legs last weekend were during night hours, and I was wishing I'd have ordered some.  One of my teammates suggested wearing my headlamp around my thigh, and that actually worked pretty well but not as good as the knuckle lights would have if I had really needed to see my footing. 

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2014, 01:51:46 PM »
I do like the lightwalker belt.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GRGAJU2/ref=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_0

Mostly, I'm walking, but I'm running a little (very slowly) and I still like it way better than a headlamp.  It tilts partially down so it lights the space I'm about to run in, vs the space I'm already in.  So I can see uneven pavement or whatever before I step into it.  I've been wearing it over a fleece jacket because it's been cold, and I don't notice it bouncing or moving around.  That might be different with just a tech shirt or something.  I don't know yet.

Anyway, I like it and thought I'd let you know.

+-SUPPORT US