Author Topic: New Shoes  (Read 13997 times)

Offline Suesquatch

• Administrator
New Shoes
« on: September 01, 2014, 12:31:54 PM »
I have always been partial to Saucony, but the toe box has gotten narrower so my loyalty is now minimal.  I have been running in the Triumph, before that I loved Mizuno Wave Creation and prior to that Shadow.  But I am heavier, my knees hurt, and I'm wondering what type I might need.  My feet and arches ache, which never used to happen.  My foot is not narrow and Nikes are not wide enough.

Recommendations? Should I consider motion control even though my feet are not flat?

Offline Suesquatch

• Administrator
Re: New Shoes
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 01:06:52 PM »
I just ordered a pair od Asics Gel Nimbus.  15s.  Saved a buttload of money that way.

Belgian Lace

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 01:30:16 PM »
I've been wearing Asics for years and love them.

Offline Suesquatch

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 01:35:12 PM »
Thanks.  I'm hoping they aren't too narrow.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 08:43:49 PM »
I just got a pair of Skechers go run ultras, very cushy though I doubt they will last past 200-300 miles. Brooks Transcend would be another to check out.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 08:57:27 PM »
No not the Transcend!  It's terrible.   Sales of that shoe sucked.  I have a pair and can't stand running in them.  Like bricks.    The Nimbus is a high cushion, extremely comfortable neutral shoe.  Sue, if you feel like you need more arch support, try putting a pair of Superfeet in the Nimbus.
"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

Offline Suesquatch

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 11:02:27 PM »
I just bought Nimbus. Are they the same?  I know the weight  has a lot to do with it but damn, at 61 I sure have a hard time taking it off.

Offline mariobrega

• Turgid
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 01:34:42 AM »
if you have some problems you can run on grass, it is amazing.
i do some easy-medium trail sometimes and my legs and knees are much better now thanks to soft surfaces.

do you have any suggestions for a trail-shoes ?

where i can run on slippery, wet, rocks surfaces ?

thanks, have a nice run !   :runner:    :old:

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 11:54:24 AM »
No not the Transcend!  It's terrible.   Sales of that shoe sucked.  I have a pair and can't stand running in them.  Like bricks.    The Nimbus is a high cushion, extremely comfortable neutral shoe.  Sue, if you feel like you need more arch support, try putting a pair of Superfeet in the Nimbus.
It was the next shoe recommended to me, but have not been a Brooks fan of lately, after being loyal for 8 years.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 11:58:37 AM »
It was the next shoe recommended to me, but have not been a Brooks fan of lately, after being loyal for 8 years.

I think Brooks has even admitted they really missed the mark with it.  But then again -- just because it's not a big seller doesn't mean some people don't love it!

"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

Offline JBM

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 01:51:09 PM »
I've been wearing the Brooks Glycerin for a while and I really like them. Nice roomy toe box. I wore Saucony Hurricanes for 7 years of my running career and then my friend who opened running store told me one day that I was in the wrong shoe. It might have made sense in the beginning of my running career, but as my running changed, I became faster/stronger, it was too much shoe. I trusted him and switched and I've loved them. We tried the Adrenalin's as well, but the toe box wasn't as roomy. I do wear the Adrenalin trail shoes, which for some reason don't bother me. Granted I haven't run since June and at this point I just wear the sneakers to walk around in. *sigh* Someday I will run again...

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 01:59:50 PM »
I haven't been able to wear anything but New Balance for years now.  Everything else is too tight in the toe box.  That doesn't necessarily mean they're narrow; often they just curve too soon and crunch some toes.  Wide shoes are out due to my super narrow heels. 

I'm going to need new shoes soon and I dread it.  My last shoe is discontinued and even NB has fewer models with a square-ish toe box than they used to.

I love the special inserts.  I use the "support everything" ones for my arches and metarsal arch.  I switched from custom orthotics because I was getting blisters.  I'm typically in stability to motion control shoes - probably should be in motion control, but sometimes I'll take less support for better fit.  I hate that they weigh a ton because I think the weight of the shoes on my small frame contributes to my tight calves and achilles tendonitis, but I have to have the support. 

Anyway, I just try a bunch of shit on that is within the range of support I need.   The running stores used to try to put me in Brooks Adrenaline, but they are just a tad too narrow.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline JBM

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 02:06:45 PM »
I haven't been able to wear anything but New Balance for years now.  Everything else is too tight in the toe box.  That doesn't necessarily mean they're narrow; often they just curve too soon and crunch some toes.  Wide shoes are out due to my super narrow heels. 

I'm going to need new shoes soon and I dread it.  My last shoe is discontinued and even NB has fewer models with a square-ish toe box than they used to.

I love the special inserts.  I use the "support everything" ones for my arches and metarsal arch.  I switched from custom orthotics because I was getting blisters.  I'm typically in stability to motion control shoes - probably should be in motion control, but sometimes I'll take less support for better fit.  I hate that they weigh a ton because I think the weight of the shoes on my small frame contributes to my tight calves and achilles tendonitis, but I have to have the support. 

Anyway, I just try a bunch of shit on that is within the range of support I need.   The running stores used to try to put me in Brooks Adrenaline, but they are just a tad too narrow.

If you're using an insert arch support, wouldn't you just get a neutral shoe and let the insert do it's job? I have a cheap arch support right now and a gel heel lift to help the Achilles a little bit. The insert isn't a full and I really need to get one that is longer for when I do finally get to run. It stopping 3/4 of the way in the shoe is fine for walking around, but I don't think will be comfortable when running. And I have a wide forefoot and tend to blister/callus around the bunion/big toe area and that resolved mostly when I went up 1/2 a size.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2014, 02:12:56 PM »
If you're using an insert arch support, wouldn't you just get a neutral shoe and let the insert do it's job? I have a cheap arch support right now and a gel heel lift to help the Achilles a little bit. The insert isn't a full and I really need to get one that is longer for when I do finally get to run. It stopping 3/4 of the way in the shoe is fine for walking around, but I don't think will be comfortable when running. And I have a wide forefoot and tend to blister/callus around the bunion/big toe area and that resolved mostly when I went up 1/2 a size.

Nope.  Even when I was in custom orthotics, the orthotist recommended a motion control shoe (he recommended the female version of Brooks Beast, but Brooks are too narrow in the toe box). The off the shelf inserts aren't as "robust" as the custom orthotics, so I definitely cannot go to a less supportive shoe.  But the off the shelf inserts don't give me blisters or send me into shoes 2 full whole sizes bigger than my feet.  (Plus they cost way less).

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 02:13:51 PM »
Definitely agree with Caito's superfeet suggestion. The only reason why that may be a problem, though, is that they are a bit fatter than the regular insoles that come with the shoe, and might make the shoe  bit narrower.  I have superfeet insoles in every hiking and running shoe I own.

Belgian Lace

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2014, 02:27:49 PM »
I love my Superfeet.  They're  better than my custom orthotics.  I would marry them and have little blue flatfooted babies.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2014, 02:34:39 PM »
Definitely agree with Caito's superfeet suggestion. The only reason why that may be a problem, though, is that they are a bit fatter than the regular insoles that come with the shoe, and might make the shoe  bit narrower.  I have superfeet insoles in every hiking and running shoe I own.

They are not superfeet, but I have 3/4 length inserts in my hiking boots as the toe box is already a little narrow and they wouldn't accommodate a full insert.  But they are also "hard" inserts and more conducive to hiking than running.  Also 3/4 length inserts may shift more, but I did use 3/4 length for many years for soccer and running (beginning as a 12 year old on the recommendation of my orthopedist).

Offline JBM

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2014, 03:12:23 PM »
do you take out the original insert and use the Superfeet instead or put them over the original. I take out the originals, but now I'm wondering if I am supposed to put them over.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2014, 03:15:44 PM »
I take out the originals.

Offline ihop

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2014, 03:27:43 PM »
do you take out the original insert and use the Superfeet instead or put them over the original. I take out the originals, but now I'm wondering if I am supposed to put them over.

Take out the originals and trim the Superfeet to fit your shoe.
La madre degli imbecilli รจ sempre incinta.

+-SUPPORT US