Author Topic: So can we discuss running "fashion" here?  (Read 21947 times)

Offline Ileneforward

• The Runners
Re: So can we discuss running "fashion" here?
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2013, 10:25:04 AM »
Zero inseam side-split shorts, socks and shoes. That's all I need. Oh, and a little rouge.

There are sunglasses on in your avatar!
@artbydmcbride

Offline JBM

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2013, 11:14:25 AM »
I wear the occasional skirt for a 5K or 5M race. I bought a cheap one with ruffles recently. My problem is that in skirts I get thigh rub, which I don't have in shorts. So, I wear them for something short and fun. I am not one to buy matchy running outfits and most of my shorts are black anyway, so I just usually pick an appropriate top for the weather. I may put on some light lip gloss for a race, but that's the extent. Although lately I've been into tinted moisturizer - especially if I'm going to see people.

Over the winter my friend pointed out that my running pants were not flattering. They were all pretty old and stretched out with the bootleg type leg. So I bought some new tights and capri tights with her in mind. I don't need to have my butt on display so at least in the winter I'm usually wearing a jacket that will cover it.

:runner:

Offline bookworm1

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2013, 11:26:42 AM »
I like running skirts as well. I need compression shorts because I have very chubby thighs. Skirts cover me nicely and don't bunch around the thighs like other shorts on me. I just stumbled across skirt/capri combinations that look like they would be great for spring/fall, or winter around here. Nobody wants to see my rear end in just compression shorts/running tights.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2013, 11:43:04 AM »
I like running skirts in the fall and spring.  They are a little warmer than just shorts. 

I met Anne Audain a few years ago, and she told me that she wears make up designed for synchronized swimmers, since that stays on.  She did not like getting on TV without make up after a win.  Now, how many of us have that criterion?

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
  • Non-Repentant Slowtwitcher
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2013, 12:01:00 PM »
Nothing completes a race ensemble like blood ...

"You're never fully dressed without ... a visible injury of some sort?"
'We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be' ― Kurt Vonnegut

iwuzwilson

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2013, 12:19:48 PM »
50 F or warmer: singlet (I have about 6 of them, ranging from 3 to 30 years old); shorts (3 choices, black Mizuno, gray Asics, and gray/maroon Brooks). Socks, whatever I can find that is clean: pairs are nice but not mandatory. Shoes, almost always lightweight flats (currently Asics) or spikes (also Asics). For marathons and trail runs longer than 25K, I'll wear light trainers (Asics DS Trainer). For warm up and cool down Brooks Adrenalin.

30 to 50 F, usually wear shorts but might have underarmour; either a short sleeve or long sleeve tech shirt. Sometimes a hat or headband, sometimes not.

10 - 29 F, tights, long sleeve shirt with short sleeve over it (or a vest). Stocking cap or buff.

-10 to 9 F, like above but an extra layer or two.

I no longer like racing below about -10.

Offline nneJ

• The Runners
  • Breathing without remorse since 1976
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2013, 12:45:10 PM »
Zero inseam side-split shorts, socks and shoes. 

Do you take a swing around the stripper pole at the end of your race there, nekkid boy???? 

;)

I wear whatever strikes my fancy.  And yes, sometimes that includes a skirt.  If you think that means I'm not an athlete, that's fine.  I'll wait for you at the finish line* and we can discuss it.

*This does not apply to roachey.

:D  <- whole post should be read with this tone, with maybe a little bit of this :stretch: mixed in.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 01:03:17 PM by nneJ »
I can't, just can't let myself be beat by people dressed as cheeseburgers.  ~Eco Ellen

Uh. Did I just get compared to a three-year-old on a sugar high? ~debbatx

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
  • Non-Repentant Slowtwitcher
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2013, 02:00:51 PM »
'We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be' ― Kurt Vonnegut

Offline Handsome Jack

• The Runners
  • All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2013, 02:38:41 PM »
for halves and fulls I prefer long shorts and whatever tee is sending me speedy vibes that morning. For shorter races I prefer short w splits so I can flash a little ass on the uphill.
Winner of the 2022 Azzhat of the Year award

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2013, 04:06:55 PM »
:D  <- whole post should be read with this tone, with maybe a little bit of this :stretch: mixed in.

Well, I certainly hope no one is readng my posts with a  :geek: tone. 

The ass-covering capability of a skirt never occurred to me... I might have to go skirt shopping!

Offline droopy

• The Runners
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2013, 04:29:12 PM »
Do you take a swing around the stripper pole at the end of your race there, nekkid boy???? 

He can just add a black bowtie like the Chippendales wear...
Itur ad astra

Offline omega lambda

• The Runners
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2013, 04:30:08 PM »
I wear the same clothes to races that I wear for runs.  :shrug:  It's nothing special and is dictated by the weather and distance.  I prefer compression capris, a sports bra and a tank/singlet or shirt over that.  For a race I will be sure to wear injinji socks (for a run, I wear whatever I grab unless it's a log run, then I grab the injinjis).  Same shoes.  Hair pulled back.  I occasionally wear a hat, but hats make me hotter so usually not.

Offline Ribs

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2013, 05:24:31 PM »
I wear the same clothes to races that I wear for runs.

This is how I always raced.

I realize shorter shorts aren't in fashion anymore (for middle packer hobby runners) but I certainly prefer the shorts from 10 years ago that weren't quite so long (and not quite so short as my short split side ones)

I ran a couple of races shirtless back in the day when I was more vain and had no love handles.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2013, 05:51:21 PM »
I do not wear the high vis yellow to races although i'll wear it in my neighborhood.  Not flattering.  Other than that, I'm not super picky.  I do like my running shirts to have a flattering cut, but I don't go to great lengths.  I do wear a race belt because I don't want pin holes in my shirts.  So there's that.

I've never tried compression socks.  Maybe I should.  Stuff hurts.

I do have a running skirt, which I like because it's longer and I can sit down without completely sticking to whatever I sat down on.  But I mainly wear it for hiking or being a tourist or running errands, not for running.  I wish it didn't have a logo on it.  I could totally make it work for all kinds of things.  That's true for several of my running shirts too.  Take the logo off that tennis shirt and I could put it under a suit!

I just discovered that my golf skirt is great for dancing.  And unlike my other skirts, has pockets.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

ZiggyStardust

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2013, 07:45:12 PM »
I've long worn orange shorts for racing, for a couple of reasons, one of which is, it's easy to find myself in race pictures (in the event there are pix with multiple people in them).  I'm thinking of switching it up and seeing if I can find me some red shorts.  Just to mix things up a bit.

Never worn running skirts, though I don't object to them (I have always worn tennis skirts, since I was on the team in HS).  I just find they're more expensive typically than I care to shell out.

For shirts, I just wear whatever strikes my fancy on a given day, often either another race shirt or, for a half, my Half Fanatic tee.

At a local 5K a couple years back (my first race post-partum, IIRC), one of the draws was there were Patriots cheerleaders signing autographs beforehand, and then they ran the race themselves.  I kept them in sight and made a point of passing them around mile 1.5.  It may be petty, and they may have been jogging leisurely for all I know, but I was damned if those skinny, pretty, made-up chicks were gonna beat me!

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2013, 08:02:40 PM »
  It may be petty, and they may have been jogging leisurely for all I know, but I was damned if those skinny, pretty, made-up chicks were gonna beat me!

:D

iwuzwilson

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2013, 12:50:57 AM »

;)

I wear whatever strikes my fancy.  And yes, sometimes that includes a skirt.  If you think that means I'm not an athlete, that's fine.  I'll wait for you at the finish line* and we can discuss it.

*This does not apply to roachey.

Congrats on your 17 min 5K PR!

I wonder what is the US skirt record for standard distances.

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2013, 09:33:25 AM »
I like running skirts because I tend to get crotch-creep with shorts, and they are pretty comfy. I'm not into ruffles or patterns though. I'm super picky about socks, so compression socks don't always work but then I also do my favorite socks (Balega) with calf sleeves for the best of both worlds. Mostly what I wear to a race is dictated by comfort and weather, but I try not to wear my nastiest gear if there will be pictures. I'm a sucker on a quest for a decent race picture, I'll admit it. But I am also a cheapskate about buying gear so no fancy lululemon stuff or anything like that. If I splurge, it's usually on Nike capris or skirt, because honestly those seem to fit the best. Then I pick up tanks and tees at TJ Maxx or Marshall's, if I can. I've hit good deals on Hind and NB stuff there.

But yeah, I have seen more and more of the dressing up thing - definitely fun socks, skirts, headbands, and other stuff. And tutus. For Pete's sake the tutus are multiplying like rabbits.
This space for rent.

Offline Courtney

• The Runners
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2013, 10:47:20 AM »
My only requirement is wicking material.  I have this super-charged internal body heater so I sweat early and I sweat often.

If it's above 70 degrees, I'll be soaked from my socks to my hair. Very fashionable.

Me too. 

And I'm super lazy about removing makeup at night (I don't) so when I get up to go to a race, or even to a workout, I typically am still wearing at least yesterday's eye makeup.  :D  I met some girlfriends at a TRX class at 7 am on a Saturday, and one of them was like "Did you put on makeup for class?" and I was kind of baffled for a sec, but then I remembered that I must still have it on from yesterday.  :D 

Offline omega lambda

• The Runners
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2013, 10:53:32 AM »
<snip>

But yeah, I have seen more and more of the dressing up thing - definitely fun socks, skirts, headbands, and other stuff. And tutus. For Pete's sake the tutus are multiplying like rabbits.

The last few races I've run, I've seen some of this.  Usually it is groups of women running together and they are themed in some way.  The races themselves weren't themed though.  I dressing up silly can be kind of fun and maybe it is motivating for the group to get out and run a race.  I don't have any issues with it, but I'm not motivated to do it myself.

+-SUPPORT US