Author Topic: So can we discuss running "fashion" here?  (Read 21944 times)

Offline RioG

• The Runners
So can we discuss running "fashion" here?
« on: June 19, 2013, 08:51:27 PM »
I have just been introduced to the concept that all the cool kids dress up for races.   and I mean that literally - their race day outfits require more planning that I put in to an interview outfit.

Is this a thing?  Has this always been a thing?  What are your thoughts on this thing?  Yes, I realize this might come across a bit judgemental.

I was shocked at some of my recent races to seem women looking like they might be hitting up the bar after the run.  Or else they looked like Catholic school girls.

How do you dress for races?   

Offline caito

• The Runners
Re: So can we discuss running "fashion" here?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 08:58:36 PM »
Rule #1:  Be comfortable, dress appropriately for the weather.
Rule #2:  Don't look fat.  Choose the bottoms/top that looks best on me THAT PARTICULAR morning.
Consideration:  Maybe this will be the day I FINALLY take a decent race photo.

I usually have an idea of what I want to wear, either because it's been flattering recently or it's bright orange and bright orange is my favorite running color. 

I am not a fan of skirts or the Lululemon crap with ruffles.  Too girly.  I'm there to run.  I want to look like an athlete, not a pretty girl. 
"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 09:04:20 PM »
Rule #2:  Don't look fat.  Choose the bottoms/top that looks best on me THAT PARTICULAR morning.

I usually have an idea of what I want to wear, either because it's been flattering recently or it's bright orange and bright orange is my favorite running color. 

I am not a fan of skirts or the Lululemon crap with ruffles.  Too girly.  I'm there to run.  I want to look like an athlete, not a pretty girl.  
yes!

I'm no stranger to the shit race photos.  I never look good in race photos, even when I was skinny.   

I don't mean people should be running in 10 year old sweat pants and ratty old t-shirts... I was just stunned to see this particular... look.  WTF?

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 09:06:48 PM »
I hear ya, sister.   And the makeup.  So much makeup!  If I wore makeup, it will end up smeared all over my face.

Sometimes I see women running (even at races) with their hair down, not pulled back.   And it looks good and not in their way!  How do they do that??
"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

Offline droopy

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 09:41:00 PM »
Around here it seems like a lot of women wear bunhuggers with 3 square inches of fabric, bra tops with 2 square inches of fabric, and neon compression socks with 35 square inches of fabric. When they go to the point of wearing arm-warmers too I sort of wonder if there should be a stripper pole at the finish line.

And makeup. What does it say when your makeup weighs more than your entire outfit? Around here on really rainy days the makeup tends to turn into an impressionist body-paint job.  :)
Itur ad astra

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 09:43:39 PM »
I'm not a fan of skirts generally... Until
I got my lightweight brooks glycerin. I love it! The material
Is so awesome it can be drenched with sweat and you don't feel
Anything

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 09:53:39 PM »
How do you dress for races?   

i wear clean socks, marginally clean shorts (most of the time), and a snot-free t-shirt.

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 10:09:17 PM »
Around here, people don't give a shit.  At least older people don't.  OK, me. 
I would get drunk on Bud Light with Dylan Mulvaney.

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 12:53:15 AM »

Pretty much this.  Except the orange, because I look horrid in orange.  See Consideration.

I just packed my bag for Ragnar Wasatch Back, which is tomorrow.  I had to try everything on before I put it in the bag, because I've put on weight recently and I wanted to make sure my old standby running clothes don't make me look like a cow.  Not sure I was successful in that endeavor, but oh well.

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 05:48:05 AM »
I was trying to decide if my feelings stemmed from the fact that I couldn't pull off the catholic school girl look, so was jealous, or if my contempt was legit. ;)  I don't care what people wear, it just seems to me that if you're an athlete... dress like one.  If you happen to be a super fast runner whose clothing can make the difference between a PR or no PR sure, run in bandaids.  I just can't imagine that a flouncing skirt and "compression" socks are helping you achieve your running goals.

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 06:23:31 AM »
I believe in compression socks.  I don't always run/race in them, but I totally understand why people race in them.   I do think they help fight fatigue. 

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
  • Non-Repentant Slowtwitcher
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 06:38:52 AM »
adidas shorts
Tech shirt from Target
lucky sox

'We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be' ― Kurt Vonnegut

Offline redkitty

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 08:45:26 AM »
I almost exclusively wear running skirts. I love them.  I have fat thighs.  that means I need to wear compression shorts so I don't get chub rub (sorry but body glide only does so much and it smells.)  So it means I can wear compression shorts and then shorts over that (bcz no one wants to see me in only compression shorts...nor would I feel comfortable in just those) or I can wear the skorts with the compression shorts already built in.  It is cooler (temp wise) for me this way, too.  It is still like wearing two layers, but the skirt gives more air flow than wearing two pairs of shorts.  i guess for races I just try to match and I will say I probably have some of those "catholic" girl school skirts you are talking about, but for me, I buy what is on sale and the non-patterned skirts do not go on sale as often.  The skirts are argyle patterns in different colors. But make no mistake, i am not dressing this way to look fashionable. I dress this way because it is comfortable for me. I also wear zero make up and normally a hat (hair is too short for a pony or I would wear one.)   

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 08:46:30 AM »
I find skirts really comfortable to run in.  I have a couple of them.  They do not have ruffles.  I wear shorts as well it just depends.   I never wear skirts when I am not running so it is not a 'girly' thing.  Then again if people want to feel girly when they run I do not see the big deal.   :shrug:  I never wear makeup to race but after seeing some pics maybe I should start  :D
Because PANTS

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 08:52:31 AM »
My only requirement is wicking material.  I have this super-charged internal body heater so I sweat early and I sweat often.

If it's above 70 degrees, I'll be soaked from my socks to my hair. Very fashionable.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2013, 08:53:44 AM »
I will usually put on mineral powder, some eyeliner, and mascara.

If you weren't such a fast runner, I'd call you a cream puff.  :sidesplit:

Offline Carson

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2013, 09:12:41 AM »
Zero inseam side-split shorts, socks and shoes. That's all I need. Oh, and a little rouge.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2013, 09:29:29 AM »
Zero inseam side-split shorts, socks and shoes. That's all I need. Oh, and a little rouge.

Your avatar indicates a singlet and sunglasses are also necessary. :D

Offline Annoying Ultrarunner Wannabe

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2013, 09:50:13 AM »
Nothing completes a race ensemble like blood..

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Ileneforward

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2013, 10:22:30 AM »
I like to be comfortable at races, I particularly like a compression style short for comfort and movement.  But I am not so fond of the cameltoe look that results, so I prefer a light attached skirt over the shorts.  In fact I own and wear the Lululemon ruffled skirt.  I am not afraid to be be perceived as too 'girly' either.  I don't see femininity as a negative quality to be avoided, or something the opposite of 'athletic'..... I think it is possible to be both at once.   I don't think that only by wearing track shorts similar to what the guys wear is the only way to be 'athletic'.  I have no contempt for females being female.
I wear sunscreen and lipstick also.   :-*

I always wear a shirt with my running club logo, singlet in the heat, long sleeve in the bitter cold etc.   I get points in the club Grand Prix for wearing the logo in races.

I wear a running hat, to keep my hair out of my face, control sweat from my eys and shade my eyes.
@artbydmcbride

Offline Ileneforward

• The Runners
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2013, 10:25:04 AM »

There are sunglasses on in your avatar!
@artbydmcbride

Offline JBM

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2013, 11:14:25 AM »
I wear the occasional skirt for a 5K or 5M race. I bought a cheap one with ruffles recently. My problem is that in skirts I get thigh rub, which I don't have in shorts. So, I wear them for something short and fun. I am not one to buy matchy running outfits and most of my shorts are black anyway, so I just usually pick an appropriate top for the weather. I may put on some light lip gloss for a race, but that's the extent. Although lately I've been into tinted moisturizer - especially if I'm going to see people.

Over the winter my friend pointed out that my running pants were not flattering. They were all pretty old and stretched out with the bootleg type leg. So I bought some new tights and capri tights with her in mind. I don't need to have my butt on display so at least in the winter I'm usually wearing a jacket that will cover it.

:runner:

Offline bookworm1

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2013, 11:26:42 AM »
I like running skirts as well. I need compression shorts because I have very chubby thighs. Skirts cover me nicely and don't bunch around the thighs like other shorts on me. I just stumbled across skirt/capri combinations that look like they would be great for spring/fall, or winter around here. Nobody wants to see my rear end in just compression shorts/running tights.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2013, 11:43:04 AM »
I like running skirts in the fall and spring.  They are a little warmer than just shorts. 

I met Anne Audain a few years ago, and she told me that she wears make up designed for synchronized swimmers, since that stays on.  She did not like getting on TV without make up after a win.  Now, how many of us have that criterion?

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2013, 12:01:00 PM »
Nothing completes a race ensemble like blood ...

"You're never fully dressed without ... a visible injury of some sort?"
'We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be' ― Kurt Vonnegut

iwuzwilson

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2013, 12:19:48 PM »
50 F or warmer: singlet (I have about 6 of them, ranging from 3 to 30 years old); shorts (3 choices, black Mizuno, gray Asics, and gray/maroon Brooks). Socks, whatever I can find that is clean: pairs are nice but not mandatory. Shoes, almost always lightweight flats (currently Asics) or spikes (also Asics). For marathons and trail runs longer than 25K, I'll wear light trainers (Asics DS Trainer). For warm up and cool down Brooks Adrenalin.

30 to 50 F, usually wear shorts but might have underarmour; either a short sleeve or long sleeve tech shirt. Sometimes a hat or headband, sometimes not.

10 - 29 F, tights, long sleeve shirt with short sleeve over it (or a vest). Stocking cap or buff.

-10 to 9 F, like above but an extra layer or two.

I no longer like racing below about -10.

Offline nneJ

• The Runners
  • Breathing without remorse since 1976
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2013, 12:45:10 PM »
Zero inseam side-split shorts, socks and shoes. 

Do you take a swing around the stripper pole at the end of your race there, nekkid boy???? 

;)

I wear whatever strikes my fancy.  And yes, sometimes that includes a skirt.  If you think that means I'm not an athlete, that's fine.  I'll wait for you at the finish line* and we can discuss it.

*This does not apply to roachey.

:D  <- whole post should be read with this tone, with maybe a little bit of this :stretch: mixed in.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 01:03:17 PM by nneJ »
I can't, just can't let myself be beat by people dressed as cheeseburgers.  ~Eco Ellen

Uh. Did I just get compared to a three-year-old on a sugar high? ~debbatx

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2013, 02:00:51 PM »

Offline Handsome Jack

• The Runners
  • All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2013, 02:38:41 PM »
for halves and fulls I prefer long shorts and whatever tee is sending me speedy vibes that morning. For shorter races I prefer short w splits so I can flash a little ass on the uphill.
Winner of the 2022 Azzhat of the Year award

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2013, 04:06:55 PM »
:D  <- whole post should be read with this tone, with maybe a little bit of this :stretch: mixed in.

Well, I certainly hope no one is readng my posts with a  :geek: tone. 

The ass-covering capability of a skirt never occurred to me... I might have to go skirt shopping!

Offline droopy

• The Runners
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2013, 04:29:12 PM »
Do you take a swing around the stripper pole at the end of your race there, nekkid boy???? 

He can just add a black bowtie like the Chippendales wear...
Itur ad astra

Offline omega lambda

• The Runners
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2013, 04:30:08 PM »
I wear the same clothes to races that I wear for runs.  :shrug:  It's nothing special and is dictated by the weather and distance.  I prefer compression capris, a sports bra and a tank/singlet or shirt over that.  For a race I will be sure to wear injinji socks (for a run, I wear whatever I grab unless it's a log run, then I grab the injinjis).  Same shoes.  Hair pulled back.  I occasionally wear a hat, but hats make me hotter so usually not.

Offline Ribs

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2013, 05:24:31 PM »
I wear the same clothes to races that I wear for runs.

This is how I always raced.

I realize shorter shorts aren't in fashion anymore (for middle packer hobby runners) but I certainly prefer the shorts from 10 years ago that weren't quite so long (and not quite so short as my short split side ones)

I ran a couple of races shirtless back in the day when I was more vain and had no love handles.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2013, 05:51:21 PM »
I do not wear the high vis yellow to races although i'll wear it in my neighborhood.  Not flattering.  Other than that, I'm not super picky.  I do like my running shirts to have a flattering cut, but I don't go to great lengths.  I do wear a race belt because I don't want pin holes in my shirts.  So there's that.

I've never tried compression socks.  Maybe I should.  Stuff hurts.

I do have a running skirt, which I like because it's longer and I can sit down without completely sticking to whatever I sat down on.  But I mainly wear it for hiking or being a tourist or running errands, not for running.  I wish it didn't have a logo on it.  I could totally make it work for all kinds of things.  That's true for several of my running shirts too.  Take the logo off that tennis shirt and I could put it under a suit!

I just discovered that my golf skirt is great for dancing.  And unlike my other skirts, has pockets.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

ZiggyStardust

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2013, 07:45:12 PM »
I've long worn orange shorts for racing, for a couple of reasons, one of which is, it's easy to find myself in race pictures (in the event there are pix with multiple people in them).  I'm thinking of switching it up and seeing if I can find me some red shorts.  Just to mix things up a bit.

Never worn running skirts, though I don't object to them (I have always worn tennis skirts, since I was on the team in HS).  I just find they're more expensive typically than I care to shell out.

For shirts, I just wear whatever strikes my fancy on a given day, often either another race shirt or, for a half, my Half Fanatic tee.

At a local 5K a couple years back (my first race post-partum, IIRC), one of the draws was there were Patriots cheerleaders signing autographs beforehand, and then they ran the race themselves.  I kept them in sight and made a point of passing them around mile 1.5.  It may be petty, and they may have been jogging leisurely for all I know, but I was damned if those skinny, pretty, made-up chicks were gonna beat me!

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2013, 08:02:40 PM »
  It may be petty, and they may have been jogging leisurely for all I know, but I was damned if those skinny, pretty, made-up chicks were gonna beat me!

:D

iwuzwilson

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2013, 12:50:57 AM »

;)

I wear whatever strikes my fancy.  And yes, sometimes that includes a skirt.  If you think that means I'm not an athlete, that's fine.  I'll wait for you at the finish line* and we can discuss it.

*This does not apply to roachey.

Congrats on your 17 min 5K PR!

I wonder what is the US skirt record for standard distances.

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2013, 09:33:25 AM »
I like running skirts because I tend to get crotch-creep with shorts, and they are pretty comfy. I'm not into ruffles or patterns though. I'm super picky about socks, so compression socks don't always work but then I also do my favorite socks (Balega) with calf sleeves for the best of both worlds. Mostly what I wear to a race is dictated by comfort and weather, but I try not to wear my nastiest gear if there will be pictures. I'm a sucker on a quest for a decent race picture, I'll admit it. But I am also a cheapskate about buying gear so no fancy lululemon stuff or anything like that. If I splurge, it's usually on Nike capris or skirt, because honestly those seem to fit the best. Then I pick up tanks and tees at TJ Maxx or Marshall's, if I can. I've hit good deals on Hind and NB stuff there.

But yeah, I have seen more and more of the dressing up thing - definitely fun socks, skirts, headbands, and other stuff. And tutus. For Pete's sake the tutus are multiplying like rabbits.
This space for rent.

Offline Courtney

• The Runners
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2013, 10:47:20 AM »
My only requirement is wicking material.  I have this super-charged internal body heater so I sweat early and I sweat often.

If it's above 70 degrees, I'll be soaked from my socks to my hair. Very fashionable.

Me too. 

And I'm super lazy about removing makeup at night (I don't) so when I get up to go to a race, or even to a workout, I typically am still wearing at least yesterday's eye makeup.  :D  I met some girlfriends at a TRX class at 7 am on a Saturday, and one of them was like "Did you put on makeup for class?" and I was kind of baffled for a sec, but then I remembered that I must still have it on from yesterday.  :D 

Offline omega lambda

• The Runners
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2013, 10:53:32 AM »
<snip>

But yeah, I have seen more and more of the dressing up thing - definitely fun socks, skirts, headbands, and other stuff. And tutus. For Pete's sake the tutus are multiplying like rabbits.

The last few races I've run, I've seen some of this.  Usually it is groups of women running together and they are themed in some way.  The races themselves weren't themed though.  I dressing up silly can be kind of fun and maybe it is motivating for the group to get out and run a race.  I don't have any issues with it, but I'm not motivated to do it myself.

Belgian Lace

« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2013, 08:12:53 PM »
I race in black.

Offline RandMart

• The Runners

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2014, 09:55:10 AM »
http://fittish.deadspin.com/lululemon-triumphs-in-creating-ugliest-running-outfit-e-1599163696

The Runsie by lululemon

Quote from: lululemon.com
why we made this
We made this easy onesie to keep us cool and collected when we're pounding the pavement. Lightweight and breathable, it layers easily over our favourite bra so that we can stay comfortable wherever our summer run takes us.

wow

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2014, 09:57:38 AM »
I saw a post on Twitter where someone was wearing a solid black one. I know I'm down with a 1-piece trisuit (and never thought I would be), but I really cannot see how that would be sooooo comfy. Blergh.
This space for rent.

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2014, 10:04:34 AM »
I saw a post on Twitter where someone was wearing a solid black one. I know I'm down with a 1-piece trisuit (and never thought I would be), but I really cannot see how that would be sooooo comfy. Blergh.

Oh yeah, there's this part

... this running outfit offers zero support in the form of a sports bra—no, those are sold separately.

It's official ... lululemon have lost their collective minds. Isn't the idea - when you're about to be bought - to add some value to the brand, to move the price up somewhat, so you can make yourself some cash on the way out?

Maybe I'm wrong?

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2014, 10:12:30 AM »
Oh, the no sports bra part is actually fine with me. Built-in sports bras are crap for support if you need much beyond the minimum, IMO. I'd rather pick my own bra under whatever else I wear, by far.

But the romper thing is ridiculous. I kind of think Lululemon should stick with yoga-wear, and not try to get into the running business. They already have enough problems!
This space for rent.

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2014, 10:25:27 AM »
I HATE built in sports bras and refuse to buy anything with them. 

Some people like rompers but they are not my thing.  I do not think that is particularly ugly I just question how practical it is.  And I am seeing running dresses sold at different places which is pretty much the same idea.  I am just not a fan of one piece clothing but there must be a market for them. 
Because PANTS

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2014, 01:12:21 PM »
I HATE built in sports bras and refuse to buy anything with them. 

[/quote

I like the tanktops with built-in bras for running.

Offline redkitty

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2014, 02:31:15 PM »
I like to run in running skirts. I have thick thighs so I need ample thigh coverage, but don't want to wear compression shorts/tight shorts without covering my also ample rear.  So I wear running skirts that have long shorts underneath.  I have bought mine at both Running Skirts.com (athletic style if you want the longer short lengths) and Skirt Sports.com (a lot of their skirts have longer shorts, some don't, you just have to read the description.)  My running gear also doubles as my tennis gear since tennis skirts are impossible to find with long enough legs for me.  I do tend to buy things on sale...so usually around $40 a skirt.  I have been having issues with the Running Skirts brand not fitting quite right.  Can't exactly pinpoint it...it is as though the waist doesn't fit right since I had a kid, but it isn't too tight or anything, but sits ina  weird place and sometimes causes the skirt to "fall down." (not the pt where you can see anything, but enough where I have to pull it up.) 

Most of my shirts are the cheap C9 moisture wicking "cotton" shirts from Target (they look like they are cotton...so no sheen to them...but they are moisture wicking.) 

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2014, 02:34:45 PM »
I race in old school short shorts.  If I am just running, I wear the first thing I pull out of the drawer.

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2014, 02:38:40 PM »
Right some people like built in bras and some people hate them but it is not crazy for lululemon to make a running product with no built in bra.  Of their crimes that is not one  :D
Because PANTS

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2014, 03:04:10 PM »
I race in old school short shorts.  If I am just running, I wear the first thing I pull out of the drawer.

How old & how short? Are we talking Larry Bird vintage, here?

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2014, 08:53:19 PM »

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2014, 08:48:29 AM »

Men's athletic wear did not change as drastically as women's, over the years. 

I had some shorts from 15 years ago that I would not dare to wear anymore. Also, the loose running pants from that time are very hard to find now.  But I am still running in those.  Love them.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2014, 10:59:41 AM »

That's different

ooh, we have a few of those in a drawer her.  All I need is scissors.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2014, 05:24:22 PM »
chances are pretty good i will destroy whatever i'm wearing while scrambling over something (and/or falling on my ass).  no costumes for me.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners

Offline oblio

• The Runners
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2014, 08:58:44 PM »
In fact I own and wear the Lululemon ruffled skirt.  I am not afraid to be be perceived as too 'girly' either.  I don't see femininity as a negative quality to be avoided, or something the opposite of 'athletic'..... I think it is possible to be both at once.   I don't think that only by wearing track shorts similar to what the guys wear is the only way to be 'athletic'.  I have no contempt for females being female.
I wear sunscreen and lipstick also.   :-*

I love this :).

I wear makeup to races/exercising. Not every time, but often enough. I'm very self conscious and why not go out feeling better about myself...especially when there is picture taking involved? It's not hurting anyone, why do I need to look like a makeup free athlete to avoid being judged? And you're probably right, I'm not an athlete, I will be one of the slowest people to finish the race and that's lame, but it's not because I put makeup on before the race.  When you pass me, I'll cheer for you! There are plenty of good reasons to judge people, you don't need to scrape the barrel to find them  :D

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2014, 09:39:04 PM »
I just bought a running skirt today.

I've always been an underdresser because I didn't want to look like I cared (defense mechanism), but lately I've been running with an older woman who dresses really  cute for her runs, and she's also fast. So I've been upping my game both running wise and fashion wise trying to keep up with her, and it's been fun.

One thing I've noticed--running is her life. The clothing is just an expression of that.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2014, 07:46:03 AM »
I like the running skirts because they are a bit warmer than the shorts.  However, some of them, with ruffles, look like they belong on a 20-year old body; not on mine.
I saw some cute ones at 6pm.

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2014, 08:24:48 AM »
I wear running skirts sometimes, but have been more into wearing shorts as the summer went on. At first when it's warm, the shorts just seem sooooo very tiny after having been more bundled up and encased in spandex all winter. Then once it gets hot, I only care about function and no longer have any issue with whatever that looks like.

I do wear a skirt if I'm out and going to run errands or to grab coffee post-run. The booty shorts I wore for a run look sort of out of context sitting in a local coffee shop, in a chi-chi downtown area, having breakfast with a friend after. Doh!

Ruffles are not my thing, though.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 08:26:19 AM by cgraz »
This space for rent.

+-SUPPORT US