Author Topic: Exciting IAAF Announcement  (Read 3453 times)

Offline diablita

• The Runners
Exciting IAAF Announcement
« on: July 23, 2019, 07:00:08 AM »
Gold Label for 2020 Olympics Marathon Granted

This is good news and means that we'll send 3 and 3, at least.  The marathon trials should get that much more tactical and interesting.  I'm so excited to go watch next year!
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

• I really have a life. It's around here someplace....
Re: Exciting IAAF Announcement
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 01:02:12 PM »
This is very good to hear and it will be a fair race.

With Galen Rupp coming off injury and surgery it should be wide open on the men's side and he's no lock to even make the team. Scott Fauble and Jared Ward are strong coming 2:09s at Boston last spring, but I think it will probably be Leonard Korir and Rupp as likely favorites then a half dozen contenders (Fauble, Ward, Brogan Austin, Elvin Kibet and Stanley Kebeni), followed by a slew of darkhorses who have run in the 1:02+/- range for the half or 2:12 in the full over the past year or two).

If they healthy the women's race will likely go down to these four women, Amy Cragg, Jordan Hasay, Emily Sisson, and Molly Huddle, with Huddle as the least likely of that group. And then there's a bunch in the sub 2:30 range, and I'll be rooting for former clubmates Laura Thweatt (2:25 PR, injured most of past three years although on a come back with a mid 32 minute 10K last month) and 2:29 runner Lindsey Flanagan.
I'll stick to running, thank you.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 02:53:05 PM »
I agree with your women’s predictions. I can’t wait to watch Emily Sisson again. Her star may be rising at just the right time.

I don’t know the men as well but really like Ward and Fauble and hope they have great races.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline nadra's babydaddy

• The Runners
  • Official CH Trainwreck Historian
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 11:12:41 PM »
followed by a slew of darkhorses who have run in the 1:02+/- range for the half or 2:12 in the full over the past year or two).

Or 14:09 for 100 miles  :d

https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a25980327/jim-walmsley-olympic-marathon-qualified-houston-half-marathon/

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 10:28:24 AM »
Or 14:09 for 100 miles  :d

https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a25980327/jim-walmsley-olympic-marathon-qualified-houston-half-marathon/

9th or 10th with a 2:14
One or two of the favorites would have DNS or blow up in the race, and then he's got to get around a few Kenyans, the likes of Parker Stinson (new American record at 25K), Lagat (2:12 at 45), and up and comers like Reed Fisher, Noah Droddy, or Jerrell Mock (all with 1:02 half times, Droddy might be a little under, compared to Walmsley's 1:04). Still will be an interesting story to follow and wouldn't it be something if he surprised us traditional roadies and tracksters!?

Offline nadra's babydaddy

• The Runners
  • Official CH Trainwreck Historian
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2019, 04:21:11 PM »
There isn't a ton of in-between with Walmsley.  If it shows up and takes it seriously, then he probably either throws down a 2:11-2:12 or blows up in the process and comes home in 2:20 plus.  He does have sub 14 minute 5k speed as well, so he's no stranger to fast running.  There would have to be Boston 2018-level weirdness for him to snag a top 3, but he'll definitely be an interesting horse to follow!  And the letsrun meltdown if he makes it would be epic  :smokin: 

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2019, 04:32:31 PM »
There isn't a ton of in-between with Walmsley.  If it shows up and takes it seriously, then he probably either throws down a 2:11-2:12 or blows up in the process and comes home in 2:20 plus.  He does have sub 14 minute 5k speed as well, so he's no stranger to fast running.  There would have to be Boston 2018-level weirdness for him to snag a top 3, but he'll definitely be an interesting horse to follow!  And the letsrun meltdown if he makes it would be epic  :smokin:

That would be well worth it. And while we're at it, Gwen Jorgensen and Allie Kiefer making the team, and if not the why not Kara Goucher. There would be a mass nervous breakdown of hater-trolls.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2019, 07:29:06 AM »
This isn't an exciting IAAF announcement but it's exciting and I needed to park it somewhere:

Allyson Felix is moving over to Athleta/Gap for sponsorship: https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2019/07/31/allyson-felix-athleta/?fbclid=IwAR3Bt_2QbfZlnzsL661iju1tjbk-5FMeSEQS1S522IRnLJMJQjqxzPGpl3Q

It's interesting and a little odd, but may lead to better things for women in the sport in several ways.  (I'm thinking Athleta will need to up their game to provide her with the technical clothing she needs, and it's a big "in your face" to Nike.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2019, 07:43:01 AM »
It's like Meb going to Sketchers after Nike tried to reduce him and then having another 10 years on his storied career.

Felix was only 6th on Sunday but that should get her on the relay team for Doha. The know-it-alls on letsrun are saying the spot must go to hurdlers Sydney McLaughlin or Daliliah Muhammad, who indeed are actually in better shape right now. However, there is no rule that they must be put on the relay team, it's the coach's discretion.

I'm glad to see Felix running again, and glad that she got another contract.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 11:34:16 AM by Coyote Mas Loco »

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2019, 11:07:31 AM »
Follow up on Caster Semenya. She's out for World Championships due to another court ruling.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/athletics/49169509

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2019, 11:18:27 AM »
I wonder if she thought she'd have a chance to run in Doha before this happened.  I suspect so.

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2019, 11:42:16 AM »

I'm glad to see Felix running again, and glad that she got another contract.

1!  Keep in mind she is really just coming back to competition.  She'll really focus on Tokyo next year, don't count her out.
I would get drunk on Bud Light with Dylan Mulvaney.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2019, 12:14:18 PM »
1!  Keep in mind she is really just coming back to competition.  She'll really focus on Tokyo next year, don't count her out.

Oh yeah! 51.6 and she only ran the rounds and final. She'll be in 51.0 shape in 2 months and +/- 50-flat in a year.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2019, 10:24:54 AM »
Des just announced that she's running NYC.  And she may take a pass on Atlanta all together since doping is such an issue at the olympics and she's been impacted in the past:

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2019/08/06/des-linden-new-york-city-marathon-field/?fbclid=IwAR28QtWRnCRxvQ4pTTgNwphUtP533rSkHDy817s-VNHyu3R9VMyMB-lKShk

(I'm guessing she does line up in Feb though)

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2019, 01:30:11 PM »
Goes with running Boston, which she announced a couple months ago I think. Not much to prove at the OTs, making another Olympic team is a big deal, but so would a possible podium at NYC or Boston, both of which she'd have an outside shot at because top Americans won't be lining up. So she'll be the marathon poster woman for the Americans at both races. Good marketing move.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2019, 03:18:42 PM »
Truth

Also pretty sure Allie Kieffer is toeing the line.  She needs to.

+-SUPPORT US