Author Topic: I hate running with people  (Read 9290 times)

Offline Virginia Plain

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
I hate running with people
« on: August 31, 2017, 09:28:25 AM »
Specifically during the week, in the a.m. I have to go to work. I just want to get my run in and go.
Plus, I run w/my dog and he's a hound and difficult enough to maneuver through the streets.

There's a guy down the street from me who I've been chatting with in the a.m.s when I get back from my run. He vapes, but that's neither here nor there. He mentioned once that he's going to join me on one of my runs.  That happened to day.  I'm jogging down the street and he comes trotting up, asking me if he can join me.  I agree (reluctantly b/c I just want to be alone in my run).  I'm also thinking that b/c he vapes, he won't make it out my neighborhood (I was doing 5 miles today). He hangs in for 2 miles and heads back home b/c he has to get to work. 

I really don't want this to become a thing. Plus, DH doesn't like it b/c he doesn't even know the guy. I've only chatted w/him a handful of times, so I don't know him well.
Then, it's just the ol' squat, catch and pitch...--Makeda

Offline Handsome Jack

• The Runners
  • All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy
Re: I hate running with people
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 12:14:57 PM »
I run with people once a week on Saturdays, otherwise I prefer to be by myself.

I cant imagine asking some random woman around here if it would be OK to run with her - weird. If he tries to join you again let him know you run by usually yourself and the dog can be a PITA with someone else running nearby.
Winner of the 2022 Azzhat of the Year award

Offline Fast Eddie

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 12:30:05 PM »
I'm a fan of the loneliness of the long distance runner as well.   At least you now have an excuse to do some tempo work to drop the guy ASAP. 
Live, learn, have amazing sex, and move on!!  :D - floridagal

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

• I really have a life. It's around here someplace....
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 02:32:12 PM »
Girls who wanted to date me when I was in college would ask if I could take them out for a run.

I don't mind running with other people, especially for tempo runs, long runs, or workouts but this year I haven't done much of that--just every month or so.
I'll stick to running, thank you.

Belgian Lace

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 08:30:08 PM »
"No, thanks!" and then keep running.

I would follow up later, though.  "Sorry, man. Running's my (training, therapy, personal time, dog bonding time, catch up on podcasts...) and I've gotten pretty protective of it.  Thanks for understanding!"

This is almost verbatim the conversation I had with a relative who insists on coming with me on my track runs even though she doesn't run.  She'd expect me to stop and talk to her each lap.   :grr:

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 12:03:04 AM »
I can think of a hundred reasons I don't want to run with someone else. (My husband not approving isn't one of them, though.)

I like LoG's suggestions.

Offline El Chupacabra

• Incredibly Obsessive Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 08:53:29 AM »
If I do, it's never with women. I can only imagine how happy my wife would be if I was out running with someone and came back looking happy and describing how much fun it was.

I think it's funny that you have to be blunt and explain this to some women.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 09:26:36 AM »
Mike Pence, is that you?

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 11:59:42 AM »
me, too.

years ago, i ran every tuesday evening with a coworker.  and then i moved away.  she was and will remain the only person with whom i could run without wanting to strangle someone.

Offline Virginia Plain

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2017, 12:17:35 PM »
me, too.

years ago, i ran every tuesday evening with a coworker.  and then i moved away.  she was and will remain the only person with whom i could run without wanting to strangle someone.

:)  I have one of those too.  My old neighbor Deeanna. 

Offline nadra's babydaddy

• The Runners
  • Official CH Trainwreck Historian
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2017, 02:10:01 PM »
Running with (pre-planned) groups I like.  Running with random weirdos who take it upon themselves to join me?  :nono:

Offline El Chupacabra

• Incredibly Obsessive Poster

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

• I really have a life. It's around here someplace....
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2017, 02:53:40 PM »
Running with (pre-planned) groups I like.  Running with random weirdos who take it upon themselves to join me?  :nono:

Definitely this. I've seen/experienced many sides to the situation, but more on an acquaintance basis not someone who happens to live/hang out down the street. One of the oddest though was with my wife, before we were married in fact. This older guy (ha my age now, or maybe younger) from the Denver area always seemed to be at the races we did down there and he'd always try to run with her in the race and talk to her in the middle of a freaking 8K at sub 6 minute pace. It was a little bit ish! 

But by all means carry on BA and El C while I munch on my virtual popcorn.
I'll stick to running, thank you.

Offline Handsome Jack

• The Runners
  • All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2017, 01:20:41 PM »
I was out for my Sunday long run a couple of weekends ago on a quiet trail. The place is frequented by mountain bikers but for whatever reason it was silent that morning.

Lost in my thoughts for a long stretch when someone suddenly came up on my right and passed me with the usual greeting (passing on your right!) but not until they were right on top of me.

Scared the Dickens out of me and I let out a huge Jesus-yelp. He stayed with me for a bit but I made it clear I wanted to be lost in my thoughts again.

Damn runners.
Winner of the 2022 Azzhat of the Year award

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2017, 06:32:12 PM »
I'm not taking any side, but I have seen more than my fair share of marriages/relationships crumble as a result of opposite sex running partners engaging in extracurricular activities while doing their extracurricular activities. My training partner is male but he's like a part of the family. Occasionally my husband will make a comment when I go meet a group, and I normally blow it off. But I could understand his concern, I suppose.

Offline Suesquatch

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2017, 06:52:14 PM »
Yup. I think Mike might be perturbed if I started spending a lot of time, ed ven running, with another man. And I would respect that.

I think that's weird, the vaper, and I'd tell him no. Nicely, like the girl I was socialized to be.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2017, 10:03:05 PM »
I got to run with Virginia Plain and she liked it  :banana:

I would not be ok with that neighbor dude joining again.  "Thanks but I'm kind of set in my ways."  I wouldn't even tell him you like to run alone that early in the am -- he may know but why confirm.

"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Virginia Plain

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2017, 08:55:05 AM »
I'm not taking any side, but I have seen more than my fair share of marriages/relationships crumble as a result of opposite sex running partners engaging in extracurricular activities while doing their extracurricular activities. My training partner is male but he's like a part of the family. Occasionally my husband will make a comment when I go meet a group, and I normally blow it off. But I could understand his concern, I suppose.

I totally agree.  There's NOTHING to do but get to know each other real well. 

BTW, he did it again today.  I really need to do something about this. He vapes, so don't see it lasting for too long.  But he hung in for 5 miles today.

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2017, 09:27:40 AM »
I'm not usually one to suggest running away from a problem, but in this case, that's just what I would do.  Whenever he shows up to stalk you, just accelerate until he can't keep up.  As he drops away, throw a little see-ya wave over your shoulder and keep accelerating. 

Offline Virginia Plain

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2017, 11:02:58 AM »
I'm not usually one to suggest running away from a problem, but in this case, that's just what I would do.  Whenever he shows up to stalk you, just accelerate until he can't keep up.  As he drops away, throw a little see-ya wave over your shoulder and keep accelerating. 

I totally tried to do that this a.m. when he stopped to take a few walk breaks.  He totally caught up to me every time.

+-SUPPORT US