Author Topic: are there any runners here?  (Read 14036 times)

Offline morefoolyou

• The Runners
  • now i'm trying to get back
    • redShirt Union
are there any runners here?
« on: August 25, 2017, 03:05:56 PM »
this is a small base, all we have been running here are 5ks. the colombians are stepping up the game and now sunday will be a 10k. probably on a 5k loop.

so should i go from running a 5k weekly long run to 10k? i've already run 6.2 miles so far this week.
The scientific consensus might, of course, be wrong. If the history of science teaches anything, it is humility. But our grandchildren will surely blame us if they find that we understood the reality of climate change and failed to do anything about it.

Offline Ileneforward

• The Runners
Re: are there any runners here?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 04:38:49 PM »
Shhhhhhh, keep your voice down!  I run every day..and I think stepping up to a 10k long run for you is awesome!   I am training for a marathon and am starting my monster month now..going from 40 miles a week to 55.
@artbydmcbride

Offline morefoolyou

• The Runners
  • now i'm trying to get back
    • redShirt Union
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 04:41:35 PM »
ssshhhhh, there's some rule about 10-20% increases per week.
this is kinda like a 100% increase.

enjoy the marathon. as the penguin said, it is the perfect distance for big truths.
The scientific consensus might, of course, be wrong. If the history of science teaches anything, it is humility. But our grandchildren will surely blame us if they find that we understood the reality of climate change and failed to do anything about it.

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 04:43:46 PM »
What is this you are speaking of?  Most of these people stopped running before Obama took office.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

• I really have a life. It's around here someplace....
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 04:52:37 PM »
I am running about 66 miles this week. I'm really freaking old but still manage sub 1:20 half marathon and under 36 for the 10K this summer. I tend to suck at 5K and under and my marathon ability is no great shakes. I like long tempo runs driving our cat crazy, sort of miss having dogs around the house, and enjoy walks in the park--especially when we get to see bison, deer, or elk. But the coolest thing was seeing a bobcat last winter. That's my life and interests in a nutshell. 
I'll stick to running, thank you.

Offline glwestcott

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 05:00:49 PM »
At 70, I'm still running 10 to 15 miles a week, but no races. Just do it because it keeps me able to be active and able to do what I want. Who knows how many more years I can keep it up but doing that and alternating with gym days for weight machines keeps me going for now.  I know there are many here running more than I am, but then competition isn't the point for me anymore.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 05:03:11 PM »
I injured my hamstring last year and running just hasn't been the same. I still get out there and slog for a few miles here and there with discomfort, but I don't know that I'll ever train and race again - I have mixed feelings about this.

Offline crazypants

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 05:11:41 PM »
I'm down to 2 days per week running at 7-9k per run but am lifting a lot more and that's taking up all my energy.

I did get a new SRM for deadlifts and have been doing more in double farmer carries which is so much fun

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 05:14:32 PM by crazypants »

Offline 70.3

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 05:25:01 PM »
Running? Ew. No.

Had to give it up last year because of arthritis in my footsies so now I just walk and enjoy being fat (frankly Im in lazy mode. There is no reason I cant ride my bike or swim..lazeeeeee.)
Life is not a dress rehearsal (Magic Hat #9 beer cap)

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 05:31:11 PM »
of course.
but rowing is priority right now.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2017, 05:36:29 PM »
I injured my hamstring last year and running just hasn't been the same. I still get out there and slog for a few miles here and there with discomfort, but I don't know that I'll ever train and race again - I have mixed feelings about this.

You're just a kid. Much to young to throw in the towel. Get rehab.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2017, 05:52:42 PM »
You're just a kid. Much to young to throw in the towel. Get rehab.

I did and no change. It starts to hurt when I exceed five miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ctjim

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2017, 05:56:32 PM »
Sure. 20mpw or so

Offline Richard21142

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2017, 06:00:11 PM »
I tore something in my knee last December; and haven't run since.  So right now, I support my knee and either row or ride on a stationary bike.  In September, I'm, going to make an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon for options.  Even if I have surgery, I won't run again.  I had knee surgery 45 years ago and would prefer now to  compete online with my rowing machine. 

Offline Xavier Dan Q

• mild mannered smartass
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2017, 06:08:28 PM »
I am 60 and I still run. About 18 miles a week but then again I walk approximately 15 miles on my work days.
I don't race as often, however and gave up marathons about 7 years ago.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2017, 06:10:08 PM »
I stopped running a few weeks ago, and will pick it up again in September. It feels good to take a break once in a while.

Offline Richard21142

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2017, 06:10:51 PM »

I tore my hamstring pretty badly doing sprints (I was a sprinter back then).  Fast forward 16 years and after running a marathon, I tore some of the scar tissue.  I went to an orthopedic surgeon and he was pretty impressed with the scar tissue (while looking at the x-rays).  His advice, which was pretty successful, was to do a lot of stretching to improve flexibility.  I also iced my hamstring and had my wife do a very deep massage to break up some of the scar tissue.  A few year later, I was again having a problem with my hamstring and it went away when I started using "The Stick".

I also did some hamstring curls with weights to improve overall strength.  I didn't use heavy weights but lighter weights with higher reps; light enough so I could lift daily.  A physical therapist measured the strength of my hamstrings through it's range of motion; both before I started lifting and after lifting for a month.  Even though the weight lifted wasn't that heavy, there was a significant increase in strength.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 06:47:15 PM by Richard21142 »

Offline chqm8

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2017, 06:12:51 PM »
Almost 51 yrs old here.

I've been averaging between 20-30 miles a week so far this year.  To answer your question about increasing your mileage:  don't 'they' say that you shouldn't increase more than 10% a week?  Or something like that?  lol.  I'm no expert.  Clearly.

I dont 'race' but I will occassionally sign up for races just to get a new shirt or beer glass.  I've never been competitive.  I just want to burn calories and possibly live longer than I might if I were otherwise sedentary 24-7.   
chqm8= 'checkmate'

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2017, 06:14:24 PM »
Good to know Richard.  i'm glad that treatment plan worked for you.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline crazypants

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2017, 06:17:38 PM »

See you on the deadlifts matt and squat rack

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2017, 06:25:23 PM »
I've been doing lots of strength training and flexibility was never an issue. Too much stretching of the bum hamstring really aggravates it.

Offline nadra's babydaddy

• The Runners
  • Official CH Trainwreck Historian
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2017, 06:27:46 PM »
debatable.  It's been awhile since I had any consistency, but I'm hoping this latest move will help, now that I'm closer to local clubs and awesome trails.  Now that I'm working at the high school level again, I might start inviting myself to practice too  :runner:

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2017, 06:34:41 PM »
I only run during crossfit wods now.  With the fall coming I may hit the trails again.  We'll see.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2017, 06:36:15 PM »
I've been doing lots of strength training and flexibility was never an issue. Too much stretching of the bum hamstring really aggravates it.

Are you sure it's not a spinal thing?

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2017, 06:37:54 PM »
Are you sure it's not a spinal thing?

Why would my spine make my hamstring hurt? I was in yoga class doing this pose when I felt a snap in the hamstring of my support leg.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2017, 06:47:27 PM »
Why would my spine make my hamstring hurt? I was in yoga class doing this pose when I felt a snap in the hamstring of my support leg.

I have issues with my hamstring, and I think it's related to a slipped disk, but that's self-diagnosed. And no snap, so probably a different issue.

Offline JBM

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2017, 07:04:12 PM »
I am running 3-4 days a week. I try to ale one of those a trail run if I can. I gave up road marathons for trail marathons. Way more fun.

Offline crazypants

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2017, 07:11:11 PM »

I'm talking replacing running with heavy strength training like I did.

Then playing your abs like xylophones

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Offline El Chupacabra

• Incredibly Obsessive Poster
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2017, 07:17:57 PM »
I just got back from doing a trail run. I'm fortunate to have the ocean and a good park with miles of trails. I ride my bike along the ocean to the trail, run the trail and then ride back. Every other day right now. About 4 miles running, 7 miles biking Mon, Wed, Fri and 8 miles and 7 miles biking on Saturday. I have a vibrating plate that I stand on, rotate my hips and do knee bends and pushups on for about 10 minutes ever day right after I get out of bed and then maybe a day a week I'll do some weight lifting. That's abou it right now.

Offline Beer Gut

• Help me, I'm melting....
  • Reduce; Re-use; Recycle
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2017, 07:24:00 PM »

I figured this would be in Running by now.
I could be completely wrong about this.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2017, 07:39:16 PM »
I took my first extended break from running in 30 years, due to a broken ankle (summer) and back injury (spring).  The longest I have ever taken off in those 30 years was 6 weeks, for a broken big toe.  I was running 40-45 miles per week before that and walking an additional 10-15 per week.

Offline pfunksbn

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2017, 08:02:21 PM »
I've been an on and off r*nner, although now it's more like middle aged recreational jogging. I tend to suffer frequent stupid injuries that interfere with running regularly. I'm just getting back in the saddle after several weeks of rest.

Lil' Pfunksbn is doing x-country this fall. First time runner 4 life!  :heartbeat:

Puppet-free since 09/21/05.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2017, 08:13:46 PM »
I have issues with my hamstring, and I think it's related to a slipped disk, but that's self-diagnosed. And no snap, so probably a different issue.

Lots of interconnecting muscles and tissues in the lower back, hips and hamstrings so once one thing is injured, everything else seems to go to hell too.

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2017, 08:35:08 PM »
Hoping too if I ever rehab from surgery.. although the dr said it won't be able to be like before...oh well.. time to try other things

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline duckgeek

• The Runners
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2017, 11:37:45 PM »
I'm around 30 miles per week with 10 of those on Sundays.  Just LSD, no speed work.  I haven't fully recovered since the news about dad bods being sexy made the rounds.

Offline Noley

« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2017, 01:36:13 AM »
I wish I could run like I used to.   :(

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2017, 05:51:53 AM »
Mfy-- are you in bogota? The altitude killed me.

My body doesn't seem.built for running so I mostly crossfit. I run 10 miles on a big week .

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2017, 06:34:13 AM »
Hoping too if I ever rehab from surgery.. although the dr said it won't be able to be like before...oh well.. time to try other things

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Being slower than you used to can still give the same satisfaction. Also, shorter distance can still be quite pleasurable.  I doubt that I will get back to the mileage and speed I had before my ankle injury.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2017, 06:40:02 AM »
I've never been a runner, I suck at it. I proudly jog 3-4 times a week and bring up the rear at a few 5ks a year.

Offline chqm8

• The Runners
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2017, 07:19:48 AM »
I figured this would be in Running by now.

You just had to say it, didn't you?!?!   ;) :sidesplit:

I'm forcing myself to take a rest day today.  I've run a minimum of 3 miles a day (with the longest being just 7 mi) for the past consecutive 12 days.  Its not a lot compared to some people but I'll admit I'm feeling it.   I've always had issues with taking rest days.  I guess I think that if I take one day off, it will instantly turn into several days off.  Then weeks off, etc.   Inertia and all that. 

But I'm a little achy so I'm resting today I guess.
chqm8= 'checkmate'

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2017, 11:04:45 AM »
I've had a really hard go of it since the Houston marathon in January, which is why I haven't been posting much. I basically took off all of July and most of August because of peroneal tendinitis in both legs.

Offline LeezleB

« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2017, 03:37:58 PM »

I tore my hamstring pretty badly doing sprints (I was a sprinter back then).  Fast forward 16 years and after running a marathon, I tore some of the scar tissue.  I went to an orthopedic surgeon and he was pretty impressed with the scar tissue (while looking at the x-rays).  His advice, which was pretty successful, was to do a lot of stretching to improve flexibility.  I also iced my hamstring and had my wife do a very deep massage to break up some of the scar tissue.  A few year later, I was again having a problem with my hamstring and it went away when I started using "The Stick".

I also did some hamstring curls with weights to improve overall strength.  I didn't use heavy weights but lighter weights with higher reps; light enough so I could lift daily.  A physical therapist measured the strength of my hamstrings through it's range of motion; both before I started lifting and after lifting for a month.  Even though the weight lifted wasn't that heavy, there was a significant increase in strength.

Yep tore my hamstring off 5 years ago. Didnt have surgery. Have scar tissue. It causes issues and isn't the same but I can run . Rehab and the right rehab are key!!! Strengthening and stretching. Also some hamstring pain and problems come from the back Fyi.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Proud member #85

Offline LeezleB

« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2017, 03:39:32 PM »
I've never been a runner, I suck at it. I proudly jog 3-4 times a week and bring up the rear at a few 5ks a year.
Yep I am for sure a middle aged recreational jogger.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Proud member #85

Offline Handsome Jack

• The Runners
  • All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2017, 07:56:17 AM »
I am 54 and run 6 days a week and cycle 5, slowly.

I average 45 mpw running and about 50 cycling. Back to this pleasing base after knee arthroscopy in early June. Looking to return to sub 2 hour half marathons in the immediate and return to actually finishing a full in Dec (aspirational) or in the early spring.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 07:59:14 AM by cold comfort »
Winner of the 2022 Azzhat of the Year award

Offline Hobie1

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2017, 10:49:16 AM »
I'm 56 and run 25-35 depending on my Mojo.  I might get serious again and run another marathon but for now my long runs are 8-9 miles.
“It’s easier to fool people than convince them they have been fooled.”

-Mark Twain

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2017, 04:08:27 PM »
I've been running since before I could walk. 56 years of my 58 year old life. Currently training for a half marathon- just finished up a 33 mile week. I hope to run the Boston Marathon for the 8th time next April.

Unlike normal runners, I am also a competitive masters sprinter. I finished 11th at Nationals in the 100 meters last year and the year before. I'll return to that when I hit 60.

Oh, and I have an artificial hip. No excuses.

I would get drunk on Bud Light with Dylan Mulvaney.

Offline Fast Eddie

• The Runners
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2017, 04:48:27 PM »
56 years old here too.  Chasing 50 states, six to go and D.C.  Two more Canadian provinces to do.  Still doing six days a week with an average of 11K per run.  Just over 1300 miles so far this year.  Speed has definitely declined. 
Live, learn, have amazing sex, and move on!!  :D - floridagal

Offline Plugging Along

• The Runners
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2017, 05:06:12 PM »
54 year old fat guy.
2010 was my best year, got down to 220
and set PRs at every distance.

Put in 100 miles per month through the winter,
worked up to a PR at a spring 30k race,
took it easy to recover, started back in.
I would get a pain across the top of my left foot
but it would go away after about 3 minutes.
Did a hard 10k on the track.
Crippled the next day with foot pain, stress fracture?
2011 was shot. 7 months on the shelf.

Started back up spring 2012. Got out to decent 5k times
and 8 mile long runs. My father dies.
Take a break, start back up, ran in cheap shoes
Ended up with something like plantar in the outer right heal by the achilles.
The rest of 2012 was lost. 5 months on the shelf.

Started back up spring 2013. Worked my way back up to 10 miles.
Just a blah year. Coasted through it, just no energy.
Average 10 - 15 miles a week through the winter.

Ramped up spring 2014. Made it through the year with 6 half marathons,
4 of them under 2 hours, and decent times at shorter races.
Decent time at the final race of the year, a 10 miler.
 I took two days rest and started my winter routine of easy 2 to 3 mile jogs about 5 times a week.
7 minutes into the first run (3 days after the race) I ended up crippled.
Running was fine. Then a twinge in the right arch on one step, an ache on the 2nd step,
sharp pain on the 3rd step. Crippled in 3 steps after 850 miles for the year.
5 months on the shelf.

Started back up spring 2015. Worked up to 10 miles. Entered a half marathon.
Severely twisted my right ankle at mile 3. First ever DNF.
Actually got back to half marathon by the end of the year.
Took the winter off.

Started backup spring 2016. Worked up to 10k.
I was doing an easy pain free 2 mile jog one day.
Then a 2 mile jog with a slight ache in the right arch the next day.
Crippled the next day.
Then caught a virus or something. 2016 was shot. 10 months on the shelf.

Started back up April of this year.
Ramped up slower than usual, but now hitting 100 mile per month.
No problem, so far.

I turn 55 next year. The BQ is 3:40 minus about 3 minutes (to cut applications down to the Boston cap).
My 2010 PR was 3:44.
If I can drop to 200 pounds I might be able to run a qualifier fall of next year :fingers:

Strangely, now after a two mile easy jog I feel a sense of accomplishment in that I didn't end up crippled.
Goal for the year is to get back to sub 2 half marathon (I might be there now),
maintain through the winter, work towards a BQ next fall.

Offline Plugging Along

• The Runners
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2017, 05:07:49 PM »
56 years old here too.  Chasing 50 states, six to go and D.C.  Two more Canadian provinces to do.  Still doing six days a week with an average of 11K per run.  Just over 1300 miles so far this year.  Speed has definitely declined. 

With the current exchange rate on km/mile you get faster running in the US :runner:

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2017, 11:20:03 AM »
I've had a really hard go of it since the Houston marathon in January, which is why I haven't been posting much. I basically took off all of July and most of August because of peroneal tendinitis in both legs.

Are you back to running?  Have you seen a therapist or done ART?

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2017, 12:04:32 PM »
Are you back to running?  Have you seen a therapist or done ART?

I am.  I'm up to just shy of 30 mpw and haven't started up any speedwork yet.  I went to several Airrosti appointments and have been doing all of my in-home PT, which did help/is helping.  I am a supinator, so after years of high mileage and marathon training, my therapist thinks it finally culminated in the tendinitis.  I'm focusing more on a true mid-foot strike, which caused other issues initially, but that seems to be subsiding. I went from being in pain just lying down or sitting, to hardly being able to walk after a run, to now being able to function pretty normally after a pretty decent run.  It takes a lot of work to stay healthy. 

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2017, 02:36:41 PM »
I am.  I'm up to just shy of 30 mpw and haven't started up any speedwork yet.  I went to several Airrosti appointments and have been doing all of my in-home PT, which did help/is helping.  I am a supinator, so after years of high mileage and marathon training, my therapist thinks it finally culminated in the tendinitis.  I'm focusing more on a true mid-foot strike, which caused other issues initially, but that seems to be subsiding. I went from being in pain just lying down or sitting, to hardly being able to walk after a run, to now being able to function pretty normally after a pretty decent run.  It takes a lot of work to stay healthy. 

I'm glad you're finding relief.  Interesting that you are changing your running stride technique.  If you can do it and it works, great.  I've always felt that people are born knowing how to run and we all have slight differences in the way we do it and that's OK.

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2017, 04:04:10 PM »
I've always been a mid-foot, but it seems like over time I tend to put more pressure on the outer part of my foot and leg.  Since it's on both sides, it stands to reason.  The Airrosti community strongly advocates Pose running, which is mid-foot and a change in cadence, as well as less leaning forward.  Which we tend to do as we get older and our hips get tighter.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2017, 04:50:56 PM »
I'd like to see old video of me from 30 years ago compared to (digital) footage today to see if my stride has changed and how much. Our ankles also lose flexibility. Nevertheless, for what it's worth, since age 46. I've run more mileage than in my late 20s and through early 40s (with a three year injury hiatus, ca. age 42-45). I don't quite have the durability as in my early 20s when I'd do 70s 80s, and into the 100s of miles/week, and I could jump from 40 to 70 in two weeks and not think about it. I have to be much more methodical about it now. This year been pretty regular at 60-70 miles a week and not feeling too bad other than falling asleep on the couch at 8:30 or 9, like the old guy that I am.

Nevertheless, several people have said that I run light on my feet for my age. As a younger runner I think I had a tendency to pick up my knees and try to power through speed work and races. Now I don't shuffle but keep the strides 'lighter" and quicker than I recall when I was young, spry, and drank too much beer on weekends. I focus on a quick plant with each stride, but don't worry much about cadence, which seems to be in the 165-170s for races (not the 180 that everyone is trying to emulate).

But yeah I agree with Arrojo, that a lot it is just doing what feels natural. But if things go south and you get the same kinds or related types of injuries, then it might be worth you while to work on some things to tweak your form.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2017, 08:45:10 AM »
of course.
but rowing is priority right now.

the rowing machine in the gym in the basement of my office building has been out of service for 10 months now... I am dying a little bit without it (they keep saying they are buying a new one but it never arrives; I've asked about purchasing the broken one so I can fix it and have one at home but there's been zero response to the offer)... I am pretty close to joining a second gym just to access the rowers but I'm suffering from sunk cost bias...

HOWEVER, what the lack of rower has done is forced me out onto the trails and streets and I have started running with more intent than just cross training... I'm putting in 30-40 km a week these days

Offline El Chupacabra

« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2017, 11:17:14 AM »
Ok. I bought the Nike Zoom Fly. Not the 4%. Ran seven in them yesterday, and yes, they do feel significantly faster. We'll see Saturday as I'm running the 5k at the Rock-N-Roll down at the oceanfront in Virginia Beach.

Offline Mrtambourineman

« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2017, 12:56:50 PM »
I don't run any longer.  I recently figured out my left leg is shorter than my right which may have been the reason for the knee pain that stopped my running.  I'd like to try to get back out a bit again for general fitness. I bike more than anything now.   

I was never anything but a hobby jogger. 
I've been doing this how long?

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2017, 02:03:04 PM »
the rowing machine in the gym in the basement of my office building has been out of service for 10 months now... I am dying a little bit without it (they keep saying they are buying a new one but it never arrives; I've asked about purchasing the broken one so I can fix it and have one at home but there's been zero response to the offer)... I am pretty close to joining a second gym just to access the rowers but I'm suffering from sunk cost bias...

HOWEVER, what the lack of rower has done is forced me out onto the trails and streets and I have started running with more intent than just cross training... I'm putting in 30-40 km a week these days

well, i'll be back on the erg this fall and winter, and ramp up the trail miles.  i'm eyeing ('eying' looks wrong, even though it's right) a winter trail half, so that's in the cards.

outdoor rowing is basically finished as of this week (not that the season is over, just that i'm having a devil of a time finding a coach who can work with my schedule).  rowing on the water by myself is an option, but i need to coordinate with a school for dock access. 
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 02:05:25 PM by witchypoo »

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2017, 02:42:01 PM »
well, i'll be back on the erg this fall and winter, and ramp up the trail miles.  i'm eyeing ('eying' looks wrong, even though it's right) a winter trail half, so that's in the cards.

outdoor rowing is basically finished as of this week (not that the season is over, just that i'm having a devil of a time finding a coach who can work with my schedule).  rowing on the water by myself is an option, but i need to coordinate with a school for dock access. 

our outdoor rowing season up here is so short (essentially late-May through mid-August) and windy (lots of no-go days) that no access to an erg means not much point to working on water because it's difficult to train consistently

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2017, 03:00:32 PM »
our season is late march through early november.  but if you choose to row by yourself in march and november, you're tempting fate.  october is pushing it. 

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2017, 09:24:36 PM »
Ok. I bought the Nike Zoom Fly. Not the 4%. Ran seven in them yesterday, and yes, they do feel significantly faster. We'll see Saturday as I'm running the 5k at the Rock-N-Roll down at the oceanfront in Virginia Beach.

So, are these racing flats?  Up to what distance would you feel comfortable running in them?

Offline El Chupacabra

« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2017, 10:24:53 PM »
So, are these racing flats?  Up to what distance would you feel comfortable running in them?

Not really flats...

I think I'd be OK in a 1/2 marathon in them. The seven felt easy, and no soreness or anything today. They kindof force you to run forward because the plate automatically gives you a roll forward, but it didn't feel unsteady or anything. It made me feel like I was running like a kenyan instead of just hitting the pavement. They are cushioned, but not squishy, they sort of pop you off the ground and encourage you to land forward on your foot. I'll find out more, but it feels like the architectural aspects promote better running form, but you have to be racing, not plodding.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 10:28:02 PM by El Chupacabra »

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2017, 07:58:46 AM »
I have used the Adidas Adizero Boost for 5K to half for the past three years and have been happy with them. They are not like the lighter shoes of years past, but you go with the new technology--the choice now seems paper thin or something between an old flat and a light trainer.  I almost wore the Boosts for the marathon last spring but went with the Adizero Boston instead, because the course had long downhill stretches in the first 15 miles.

Offline El Chupacabra

« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2017, 10:25:23 PM »
So these Zoom's are great. Faster, lighter, but they really improve your economy.

That said, I'm really in need of speed work.

+-SUPPORT US