Author Topic: flat feet and barefoot running  (Read 22954 times)

Offline makeda

• Passed on to another Brane
  • piggery jokery
Re: flat feet and barefoot running
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2015, 03:49:57 PM »
I envy the feet and ankles of people who can do that. It would hobble me.
"I'm judgy like a Sunday morning..." - tazawa

"Michelle Obama and her buttocks are waging war on the freedoms of our children" - Red Tornado

"Plenty of christ to go around here." - nneJ

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2015, 04:03:52 PM »
I envy the feet and ankles of people who can do that. It would hobble me.

I'm currently hobbled in my newish running shoes.  Something about the fit with the inserts. They are the same inserts I've always used, but this shoe has a more fitted midfoot (and is also less of a behemoth than my old shoes - it is stability and my old ones are motion control) and so my feet sit differently on the inserts.  I'm considering trying a smaller size of the inserts to place the metatarsal support differently, but at $50 a pop for inserts, ouch (and they're a bit deep to just go in my kick about Clark's).  I really do like the lighter shoes.  My ankles are too damn tiny to carry around shoes that weight a ton; and I think this contributes to my achilles tendonitis issues.  (On the other hand, limping because my metatarsalgia acted up just from wandering around Home Depot is not cool.)  But $50 inserts are still way cheaper than NEW new running shoes. 
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2015, 04:12:08 PM »
The people who seem to benefit the most from bare foot running are the ones who do small amounts a couple times a week. Like a mile or two, then the rest of the time wear shoes. I had orthotics but prefer the Sole Heat Moldable insoles, work better than orthotics, imo. I am also a maximus shoe lover.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Mrtambourineman

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2015, 04:21:53 PM »
I have orthotics now and boy would I love to not have them.  If there was something I could have done to fix my feet without orthotics (or foot crack as I like to think of them), I'd try it first. 
I've been doing this how long?

Offline Virginia Plain

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2015, 04:22:47 PM »
I have orthotics now and boy would I love to not have them.  If there was something I could have done to fix my feet without orthotics (or foot crack as I like to think of them), I'd try it first. 

Why don't you like them?
Then, it's just the ol' squat, catch and pitch...--Makeda

Offline Handsome Jack

• The Runners
  • All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2015, 04:26:47 PM »
I've seen barefoot runners suffer mid way through marathons on very hot asphalt and in very cold conditions. I've seen others be just fine with both. Not for me though. I like my Hookas.

<boing>

Winner of the 2022 Azzhat of the Year award

Offline Mrtambourineman

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2015, 04:27:43 PM »
Why don't you like them?

Because its a pain to find shoes that will fit them, when you do find shoes that fit them I find that they're tippy - I can't tell you the number of times I've rolled over on my ankle because of the extra height and instability they cause.  Its a pain having to move your orthotic from shoe to shoe.  And because your feet get trained to the orthotic, it becomes difficult to walk without them.  I've become very limited in the types of sandles I can wear now - birkenstocks, some Nike's, Chacos, etc.  Essentially only things that come with built in arches will provide the support I need. Crocs on the other hand work very well - if you can handle looking goofy.

If you wear women's dress shoes you'll need a second pair - one for dress shoes and one for active shoes (runners).  That would be another $300 or so for me up here.   

I've been doing this how long?

Offline Fionn mac Cumhail

• The Runners
  • El Superbeasto
    • The 44-40s
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2015, 04:31:41 PM »
I've seen barefoot runners suffer mid way through marathons on very hot asphalt and in very cold conditions. I've seen others be just fine with both. Not for me though. I like my Hookas.

<boing>

Or in briers, or on trails of roofing nails...

Offline camelia bedelia

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2015, 04:36:23 PM »
But, it's possible the flat arches aren't the issue the chiro is suggesting.

1.  Chiro's also routinely diagnosis leg length discrepancy even though you can't accurately diagnosis it on physical exam alone.  No surprise that I would trust a good PT over a chiro, I suppose. 

That said - "fixing your arches" by barefoot runnin?   :nono:

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2015, 04:42:58 PM »
1.  Chiro's also routinely diagnosis leg length discrepancy even though you can't accurately diagnosis it on physical exam alone.  No surprise that I would trust a good PT over a chiro, I suppose. 

That said - "fixing your arches" by barefoot runnin?   :nono:
They can determine a leg length discrepancy due to a muscular issue, but not bone length. I have gone into a massage with a leg length difference and come out after the massage totally balanced.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2015, 05:05:19 PM »
I would never run barefoot. Not only because it seems counter intuitive to me, but also because I would be worried about stepping on nails, glass, etc.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2015, 05:11:22 PM »
Because its a pain to find shoes that will fit them, when you do find shoes that fit them I find that they're tippy - I can't tell you the number of times I've rolled over on my ankle because of the extra height and instability they cause.  Its a pain having to move your orthotic from shoe to shoe.  And because your feet get trained to the orthotic, it becomes difficult to walk without them.  I've become very limited in the types of sandles I can wear now - birkenstocks, some Nike's, Chacos, etc.  Essentially only things that come with built in arches will provide the support I need. Crocs on the other hand work very well - if you can handle looking goofy.

If you wear women's dress shoes you'll need a second pair - one for dress shoes and one for active shoes (runners).  That would be another $300 or so for me up here.   

I totally gave up on custom orthotics.  I generally wear 7 - 7.5 in regular shoes and 8 or sometimes 8.5 in running shoes.  I had to go up to 9 in running shoes!  And my heels slipped even more (bigger shoe and sitting higher)

I like the New Balance inserts, and the one I have been using worked really well in my old running shoes, but is not working in my newer ones - probably because the shoes fit slightly better, which puts my feet in a slightly different position on the insert.  The inserts have never worked in my casual shoes, even those with removable insoles.  They raise my feet up just enough...

I hate my Birks.  They are only sandals I have with metatarsal support but they are really hard and irritate the bone at the base of my little toe.  And the suede rubs blisters in random places.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2015, 05:22:31 PM »
I totally gave up on custom orthotics.  I generally wear 7 - 7.5 in regular shoes and 8 or sometimes 8.5 in running shoes.  I had to go up to 9 in running shoes!  And my heels slipped even more (bigger shoe and sitting higher)

I like the New Balance inserts, and the one I have been using worked really well in my old running shoes, but is not working in my newer ones - probably because the shoes fit slightly better, which puts my feet in a slightly different position on the insert.  The inserts have never worked in my casual shoes, even those with removable insoles.  They raise my feet up just enough...

I hate my Birks.  They are only sandals I have with metatarsal support but they are really hard and irritate the bone at the base of my little toe.  And the suede rubs blisters in random places.

Dansko clogs?

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2015, 05:46:59 PM »
Dansko clogs?

I can't really wear clogs.  Too much motion rubs a fallen arch.  Plus added tension of keeping them on.

Hell, I wear heels to work (but I sit all day).  My slip ons are usually fine for errands and some tourism if I am not constantly moving.  They have a little arch, just no metatarsal support.  And everything has straps to keep my shoes on my feet!

I just can't be making things worse in my running shoes.

Offline makeda

• piggery jokery
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2015, 06:06:09 PM »
I have orthotics, but I don't wear them. I wear my Keens instead, and fortunately, that works for me.
"I'm judgy like a Sunday morning..." - tazawa

"Michelle Obama and her buttocks are waging war on the freedoms of our children" - Red Tornado

"Plenty of christ to go around here." - nneJ

Offline HobbyJogger

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2015, 06:25:15 PM »
The people who seem to benefit the most from bare foot running are the ones who do small amounts a couple times a week. Like a mile or two, then the rest of the time wear shoes. I had orthotics but prefer the Sole Heat Moldable insoles, work better than orthotics, imo. I am also a maximus shoe lover.

That sounds very slightly dirty. But it would make a great username here if anyone is in need.  :)
Radical Jogger

Offline Fast Eddie

• The Runners
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2015, 08:21:08 PM »
My feet are wimps.  I'm a princess and the pea with even a small pebble in my shoe.   My gait is pretty neutral, but I think my arches are slowly collasping. 

Yeah, barefoot running definately ain't for everyone.
Live, learn, have amazing sex, and move on!!  :D - floridagal

Zapatista

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2015, 09:10:48 PM »
I run barefoot sometimes on the beach. I have run in light racing shoes since I wore them by mistake on a 20 mile run in 1994 and a subsequent fast marathon and I am paying for it now. Should have stuck with the old Saucony Jazz. (12 oz)

Offline TK

• Fruit Stand
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2015, 09:22:35 AM »
I'm a big boy, I did the barefoot running thing for a whole summer wearing 5-fingers and loved it.  I never got hurt and to this day it changed my stride from being a heel striker to landing on my forefoot.  My issue wasn't one of injury, in fact this was the only way that I never got hurt, instead my calves could not keep up  with me and would cramp up.  My feet got much stronger, and my arch increased with that strength.  I also spent a lot of time walking around in the 5 fingers and really preferred them to shoes.

That said, I run in Gel Kyanos these days.  I would suggest just adding some very light running barefoot at first, half mile nice and easy once a week to start to strengthen those muscles before you do too much barefoot.

Also, I would never trust a chiro to diagnose anything.   

Offline Virginia Plain

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2015, 11:21:24 AM »
I'm a big boy, I did the barefoot running thing for a whole summer wearing 5-fingers and loved it.  I never got hurt and to this day it changed my stride from being a heel striker to landing on my forefoot.  My issue wasn't one of injury, in fact this was the only way that I never got hurt, instead my calves could not keep up  with me and would cramp up.  My feet got much stronger, and my arch increased with that strength.  I also spent a lot of time walking around in the 5 fingers and really preferred them to shoes.

That said, I run in Gel Kyanos these days.  I would suggest just adding some very light running barefoot at first, half mile nice and easy once a week to start to strengthen those muscles before you do too much barefoot.

Also, I would never trust a chiro to diagnose anything.   

Fascinating. 
I've had luck w/Kayanos and GT 3200.  Thanx so much for your input. 

About how long did it take you to notice increase strength and arch after wearing the 5 fingers? 
I don't think I'd go 5 finger b/c I don't like that in between the toe feeling but I'm thinking maybe New Balance minimus.  It all depends on what the podiatrist says on Tuesday.
Then, it's just the ol' squat, catch and pitch...--Makeda

+-SUPPORT US