Author Topic: Overnight oatmeal  (Read 13026 times)

Offline badger

• NTTAWWT
Overnight oatmeal
« on: July 31, 2013, 03:11:06 PM »
Was gross.

Maybe I used a crappy recipe?

Equal measures rolled oats, yogurt, milk (I used 1/3 cup each). Pinch of salt, cinnamon. Added nuts the next morning.

The oats weren't really soft and the cold mixture just didn't do it for me.

Can someone suggest a better version?
After all, one rarely boils a penis before insertion. - nnej

I routinely smash mirrors while walking underneath ladders just to fuck with the cosmos. - ZiggyStardust

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
Re: Overnight oatmeal
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 03:13:15 PM »
I make oatmeal in the crockpot all the time and it's fabulous.  Was it in the crockpot?

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 06:01:28 PM »
I do oatmeal in the rice cooker. Nothing gross about it.

Offline badger

• NTTAWWT
Overnight oatmeal
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 09:08:11 PM »
No crock pot, although I'd like to try that. The recipe I used involved stirring the ingredients in a jar and popping it into the fridge overnight.

I routinely smash mirrors while walking underneath ladders just to fuck with the cosmos. - ZiggyStardust

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 09:24:43 PM »
I made a similar recipe, Badger.  Not enjoyable.  I think the oats want to be cooked...or at least I want them to be.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 09:44:44 PM »
This is the oats that get pasty yet still tough / raw after sitting in yogurt over night right?  Bleh not a fan. 
Because PANTS

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 10:54:23 PM »
I don't really understand the appeal. I do mine in the microwave- regular oats. .5 cup cold water, .5 cup oatmeal. 5 mins on 3 or 4 power. Easy. Doesn't spill over.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 06:33:53 AM »
I have seen soaking them overnight and THEN cooking them to make them more voluminous. I cannot get the original recipe to load up, but google chocolate covered katie + voluminous oatmeal.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 06:57:51 AM »
I don't really understand the appeal. I do mine in the microwave- regular oats. .5 cup cold water, .5 cup oatmeal. 5 mins on 3 or 4 power. Easy. Doesn't spill over.

THAT'S the trick!  I was making them for my DD on full power, 1 minute, then having to clean up the aftermath.

thanks!
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 07:58:48 AM »
Was gross.

Maybe I used a crappy recipe?

Equal measures rolled oats, yogurt, milk (I used 1/3 cup each). Pinch of salt, cinnamon. Added nuts the next morning.

The oats weren't really soft and the cold mixture just didn't do it for me.

Can someone suggest a better version?

sprinkle some leftover birthday cake on that, and I believe you have a Meals and Miles delicacy

I don't mind raw oats in a muesli.  If you're hell bent on trying it again, maybe oats + some dried fruit and nuts mixed into yogurt overnight... if you don't expect soft oats, maybe it will be less startling when they aren't.

Offline badger

• NTTAWWT
Overnight oatmeal
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 01:34:59 PM »
I make oatmeal in the crockpot all the time and it's fabulous.  Was it in the crockpot?

Tell me more, please. I tried 3 cups water, 1 cup rolled oats in my 1 quart crockpot (a ratio I found online), and it was a gelatinous watery nastiness. Probably too much water.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2013, 04:58:57 PM »
Tell me more, please. I tried 3 cups water, 1 cup rolled oats in my 1 quart crockpot (a ratio I found online), and it was a gelatinous watery nastiness. Probably too much water.
you probably want to use steel cut in the crockpot. I just make old fashioned on the stove, takes about 5-7 minutes.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2013, 06:25:50 PM »
I think the allure of overnight oats is you can just grab and go..so if you are going to the gym or something before work and don't want to eat first but then have to go right to work,it's ready for you.

I don't love it, but for the days when I have to grab something to make sure I eat after I leave the house.. it suffices

Offline badger

• NTTAWWT
Overnight oatmeal
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2013, 08:41:37 PM »
you probably want to use steel cut in the crockpot. I just make old fashioned on the stove, takes about 5-7 minutes.

Yeah, I do mine on the stove too. I was just looking for a fuss free way to have it ready for DH if I'm busy feeding the baby or something.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2013, 06:21:14 AM »
Yeah, I do mine on the stove too. I was just looking for a fuss free way to have it ready for DH if I'm busy feeding the baby or something.
I would try steel cut oats in the crockpot and see how that works. But put it on a timer, i always feel like it is over cooked in the morning, even on low.

Offline leggova

• The Runners
  • When did my wild oats turn to prunes and all bran?
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2013, 06:51:15 AM »
I have this pretty much everyday for breakfast. I love it. I hate thngs that are a 'gloopy' like cooked oatmeal.

Here is what I do the night before:

Mix up 1/3 cup of equal parts oats, skim milk, natural yogurt. Add 15 gms of dried cranberries, 10 gms of chai seeds, 80gm of frozen raspberries and blueberries. Mix together. Put in the fridge. Eat in the morning.

Yum!

410 calories
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28991768@N00/

"A life, Jimmy. You know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come."

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2013, 07:40:18 AM »
you probably want to use steel cut in the crockpot. 

Offline gebuh

• The Runners
  • don't worry, I'm a doctor
    • cycle touring
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2013, 04:17:28 PM »
I could see doing steel cut oats overnight - I've done that to save cooking time the next day.  But why would you need to do that with rolled oats?  I mix something up similar to what you describe fresh and it tastes great.

Offline badger

• NTTAWWT
Overnight oatmeal
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2013, 08:57:00 AM »
I could see doing steel cut oats overnight - I've done that to save cooking time the next day.  But why would you need to do that with rolled oats?  I mix something up similar to what you describe fresh and it tastes great.

Everyone eats breakfast at a different time here. I was shooting for something that would stay warm for awhile. I just like trying new things, too.

I probably won't go out of my way to buy steel cut oats, though.

Offline mango

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2013, 09:02:33 AM »
I probably won't go out of my way to buy steel cut oats, though.
good thinking.

steel cut oats are highly overrated, IMO.

eta: I like oats in all forms -- soaked overnight, cooked, or as cookies.

oats and eggs are especially wonderful together:

« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 09:17:01 AM by mango »

Offline gebuh

• The Runners
    • cycle touring
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2013, 09:38:45 AM »
good thinking.

What - steel cut is the bestest!  the only bad thing is the cooking time.

Offline mango

• The Runners
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2013, 10:16:18 AM »
What - steel cut is the bestest!  the only bad thing is the cooking time.

I'm not sure I agree with you a hundred percent on your oat assessment there, gebuh.

steel cut oats to me are like Dysons in the land of oats: great but not really worth the extra money and cooking time.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2013, 03:39:45 PM »
omg, steel cut oats are unbelievably delicious and can eat them plain, nothing added.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2013, 09:27:21 PM »
good thinking.

I want so badly to like oats and eggs. It's right up my alley. I LOVE savory oats. And I love eggs. But, I just can't hack them together- it's a texture thing.

But, if you do like it- I highly suggest oatmeal, avocado, egg & siracha. MMMM

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2013, 09:51:27 PM »

Maybe baked oatmeal?  It would be cold so he'd have to microwave it, but you can make it in advance and eat it for a few days. 

Budget Bytes has a bunch of different recipes on her blog, but here's her basic recipe.

Offline gebuh

• The Runners
    • cycle touring
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2013, 10:28:30 AM »
Maybe baked oatmeal?  It would be cold so he'd have to microwave it, but you can make it in advance and eat it for a few days. 

Budget Bytes has a bunch of different recipes on her blog, but here's her basic recipe.
but you can already do that with regular oatmeal - what am I missing?
scoop some rolled oats into a bowl, add liquid, nuke til it almost boils over.
Or scoop some rolled oats into a bowl, add yogurt, fruit, nuts, etc and eat. 
I guess if your dh is really that food prep challenged you could mix everything together except the oats in some Tupperware the night before and right before he enters the kitchen throw in the rolled oats.

Offline badger

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2013, 10:05:54 PM »

We looooooove baked oatmeal, but we have no oven. I have a working stove, but no oven. We're on this weird standoff not to buy a new one. Well, I'm trying to convince DH we need an induction stovetop, so that's part of the problem.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2013, 06:43:28 AM »
We looooooove baked oatmeal, but we have no oven. I have a working stove, but no oven. We're on this weird standoff not to buy a new one. Well, I'm trying to convince DH we need an induction stovetop, so that's part of the problem.
do some research on what people think about their induction stove. They talk about them a lot on the Martha Stewart radio and it seems like the majority of people who have them are not happy with them.

+-SUPPORT US