Author Topic: Brussels sprouts?  (Read 11135 times)

Offline debbatx

• Passed on to another Brane
Re: Brussels sprouts?
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2013, 01:05:30 PM »
Sounds reasonable. I think I can manage that.
"The moral of this story, Jamers, is time goes poof, so don't let anyone mess with what time you have." - RioG

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2013, 01:21:45 PM »
:)  I do the same
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2013, 03:06:57 PM »
Yup, I cut the bottom off, and pick off any yucky outer leaves...and I pretty much always cut them in half too.
This space for rent.

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2013, 05:27:16 PM »
roasted. with or without balsamic or sriracha or pickled onions.

Following witchy's guidance, I've shredded and sauteed them with some olive oil and then added a T of sriracha and a couple T of honey with salt to taste.  Very good.

Bacon and brussels sprouts are great together.  Slice crosswise a couple pieces of bacon and cook in skillet.  Remove from pan and drain all but a T or so of the fat.  Brown halved brussels sprouts and thinly sliced sweet onion in the fat.  If they are small, they should cook through before starting to stick but if they are larger, just add a bit of chicken broth and let them finish cooking as the liquid evaporates until tender. Add back in bacon pieces and eat.

I made this recipe for Thanksgiving.  A big hit.  The technique is good and the shallot and hazelnuts add lots of flavor.  I actually am considering ordering the cook book myself (my mother and sister both have it) as all her recipes seem to work really well.

From Mollie Katzen's The Vegetable Dishes I Can't Live Without

Ingredients
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil or unsalted butter
1 cup minced shallots (about 6 ounces)
4 cups (1 pound) Brussels sprouts, halved or quartered lengthwise (or left whole, if small)
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
Roasted hazelnut oil (optional)
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 cup (or more) blanched hazelnuts, coarsely chopped I did not blanch but rather roasted and then chopped the hazelnuts. Recommend my way :)

1 Put a large saucepan of water on to boil.

2 In the meantime, place a large, deep skillet over medium heat. After about a minute, add the olive oil or melt the butter and swirl to coat pan. Stir in the shallots, and cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 5 minutes or until shallots turn deep golden color.

3 When the water boils, reduce heat to low and add the Brussels sprouts. Simmer 2 to 3 minutes or until sprouts turn green and shiny and are beginning to become tender.

4 Dump sprouts into a colander in the sink; refresh under cold running water. Drain well.

5 Add sprouts to the shallots, sprinkling with the salt. Stir until well combined, then spread the vegetables out to edges of the pan to make a shallow layer.

6 Raise heat for a few minutes, shaking pan a few times to redistribute the heat. This allows the juices to evaporate—and slightly scorches the vegetables—both of which serve to intensify the flavor.

7 Serve hot or warm, with a light drizzle of roasted hazelnut oil, if available, and with sprinklings of black pepper and chopped hazelnuts.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2013, 01:11:33 AM »
i must try the hazelnut recipe.

Offline pfunksbn

• Help me, I'm melting....
Brussels sprouts?
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2013, 11:16:15 AM »
I shred them, and then sautee them with onion, garlic, olive oil, and a little sugar.
This, but add bacon or pancetta.  :drool:
Puppet-free since 09/21/05.

Offline crazypants

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2013, 11:27:40 AM »
I used to hate Brussel Sprouts.
Now I love them.
The difference is seasoning. I just use salt, pepper and little crushed chilis- the problem I was raised in a house where my mom notoriously undersalted.
Now I saute them in olive oil or canola oil, with onions and maybe broccoli crowns.

:drooling-5: So good.

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2013, 11:45:59 AM »
This, but add bacon or pancetta.  :drool:

Yes, and yes. Bacon or pancetta make everything better! But especially brussels sprouts!
This space for rent.

Offline MikoftheWat

• The Runners
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2013, 08:16:35 AM »
Garlic, crushed red pepper, and bacon.  Roasted for about an hour at 400, stir every 15 minutes.
Neglected girls shouldn't worry, it's what god made Sailors for.

They call them Aviators in the Navy.  They say they're better than pilots.
-Tom Wolfe

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2013, 08:30:16 AM »
I like brussel sprouts roasted, but I think they are best steamed, naked.

+-SUPPORT US