Author Topic: Ugh..why is everyone talking about health food in here?  (Read 13235 times)

Offline marjolaine

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
Ugh..why is everyone talking about health food in here?
« on: December 10, 2012, 02:23:06 PM »
Tempeh, miso, tofu, cabbage, beets? Please, let's have some real good tasting food discussion with lots of butter, cream, and sugar. 'Tis the season to cook unhealthy food, yo!
“You'll never know everything about anything, especially something you love.”
― Julia Child

Offline Courtney

• The Runners
Re: Ugh..why is everyone talking about health food in here?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 02:39:23 PM »
I'm going to make a new cookie recipe tonight.  :D  How's that?  Peanut butter and chococlate chips.  Mmmm.

Offline marjolaine

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 07:01:50 PM »
I'm going to make a new cookie recipe tonight.  :D  How's that?  Peanut butter and chococlate chips.  Mmmm.

That's what I'm talking about!
― Julia Child

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 07:16:30 PM »
but that is what i eat  :-[

I am hosting a cookie exchange Sunday and have many cookies on the to do list this week. Narrowing them down tomorrow or Wednesday. I made about 50 cake pops yesterday and today with DD.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 09:12:28 PM »
I have made Grandma cookies (no bake chocolate oatmeal cookies), swedish spice cookies, M&M chocolate chip cookies, and spritz cookies with the cookie press already this season. I still have 3-4 other types on the list to make.

Offline crazypants

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 09:15:08 PM »
I live on Chinese food, beer and pizza.

...... and spinach salads.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 07:17:09 AM »
lots of butter, cream, and sugar.

Your definition of tasty?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 07:20:33 AM by Ice Cream »

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 10:03:38 AM »
but that is what i eat  :-[

I am hosting a cookie exchange Sunday and have many cookies on the to do list this week. Narrowing them down tomorrow or Wednesday. I made about 50 cake pops yesterday and today with DD.

I need a recommendation for what to make!  I don't want to make duplicates.. quick.. someone give me a cookie recipe where the first ingredient is "easy".

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 10:10:47 AM »

Mags runs half marathons and if I remember correctly is pretty trim and fit.  All things in moderation ice cream.

Offline marjolaine

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 10:25:14 AM »

Why yes! Are there any other way to make food tasty? ;)
― Julia Child

Offline marjolaine

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 10:33:12 AM »
Mags runs half marathons and if I remember correctly is pretty trim and fit.  All things in moderation ice cream.

No longer true. My current occupation threw me off the wagon. But yeah, moderation is the key. I made some creamy chicken stew for dinner last night. OMG. I didn't need to eat a lot of it to get satisfied cause it was so rich. Had a glass of sauv blanc that completed the meal. The salad was of spring mix and sliced pears tossed in balsamic/cherry vinaigrette reduction topped with a few caramelized pecans. Dessert was creme brûlée. Festive and delicious!
― Julia Child

Offline marjolaine

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 10:35:48 AM »
I need a recommendation for what to make!  I don't want to make duplicates.. quick.. someone give me a cookie recipe where the first ingredient is "easy".

Dip pretzel logs in white chocolate AND/OR dark chocolate, roll lightly in crushed peppermint candy canes. Voila! you just made holiday cookies!

Oh yeah, place them in baggies tied with christmassy/hannuka-ish tags.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 10:49:32 AM by marjolaine »
― Julia Child

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 10:36:40 AM »

Grandma cookies

2 c sugar
1/2 c condensed milk
1/2 c cocoa
1/2 c butter

heat to boiling while stirring constantly. Then cook for 1 min while boiling, stirring constantly. Pull from heat and add.
1 tsp vanilla
1 c marshmellows

Stir until melted then add

3 c oatmeal
walnuts (if you like)

Spoon while hot onto wax paper or better into cupcake papers. Let sit until solid and not sticky.

Super easy.

Offline Courtney

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 10:48:10 AM »
I have made Grandma cookies (no bake chocolate oatmeal cookies), swedish spice cookies, M&M chocolate chip cookies, and spritz cookies with the cookie press already this season. I still have 3-4 other types on the list to make.

My mom makes those no bake chocolate peanut butter oatmeal ones for me now that I'm GF.   :heartbeat:  I've already threateend to cut anyone (other than my sweet niece) who eats the cookies she made just for me.  :D  They can eat the other bazillion types she makes that I can't have! 

I didn't get the cookies made last night, but they are happening.  Of that I'm sure. 

I should make up some treats for work next week.  They will love me. 

Offline marjolaine

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 10:58:36 AM »
Make truffles! They are very easy to make as well. Melt 70% cocoa chocolate chips in microwave while heating heavy cream in a sauce pan to just lightly boiling. Mix  well but avoiding air bubbles in the mixture. Add a smidgen of butter lightly mixing it in. Let cool overnight in the fridge covered with saran wrap (contact the surface). The next day, scoop with 1" ice cream scoop in balls. Freeze in waxed paper for 15 mins before coating them with dutch processed cocoa powder or finely chopped nuts (roasted almonds or pistachio).

Sometimes I get adventurous with this stuff and coat each frozen truffle flavored with mint, in melted chocolate before sprinkling crushed candy cane on top.

Oh, I'm also making some home-made marshmallows flavored with strawberry and rose scent, and chocolate ones for contrast. I'm making them tomorrow when it's not too humid out. Will post pics when I finish!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 11:19:57 AM by marjolaine »
― Julia Child

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 11:06:52 AM »
You people seem to have a way higher tolerance for "easy" than I do  :panic:

Offline marjolaine

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2012, 11:10:08 AM »
You people seem to have a way higher tolerance for "easy" than I do  :panic:

LOL! The truffle idea isn't very easy, I know. It was meant as a suggestion for everyone. But I would definitely try the pretzel log thing if I were you. If you don't want  to deal with real chocolate, use candy melts. You can buy them in your local Michaels or AC Moore stores. Use blue sugar for the hannuka theme, but do put them in baggies to make them look festive.
― Julia Child

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2012, 11:14:14 AM »
Dip pretzel logs in white chocolate AND/OR dark chocolate, roll lightly in crushed peppermint candy canes. Voila! you just made holiday cookies!

Oh yeah, place them in baggies tied with christmassy/hannuka-ish tags.

This is a good one - very easy. You can even nuke the chocolate to melt it! And I've seen those little ones with pretzel twists where you just stick a Hershey's kiss on them, melt it in the oven for a little bit, and then smoosh a red or green M&M into the chocolate. There are all kinds of variations on that!
This space for rent.

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2012, 11:30:49 AM »
This is a good one - very easy. You can even nuke the chocolate to melt it! And I've seen those little ones with pretzel twists where you just stick a Hershey's kiss on them, melt it in the oven for a little bit, and then smoosh a red or green M&M into the chocolate. There are all kinds of variations on that!

This is even better if you use a Rolo instead of a Hershey's kiss.  My nephew made these for everyone for Christmas last year, and he was 3 1/2 at the time.  You can totally do that. 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2012, 12:31:02 PM »
MoS, you can do peppermint or chocolate bark, probably easiest thing to make :D Michaels even has candy melts on sale this week.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2012, 12:37:16 PM »
MoS, you can do peppermint or chocolate bark, probably easiest thing to make :D Michaels even has candy melts on sale this week.

1.  Super easy and looks pretty. 
Because PANTS

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2012, 12:47:16 PM »
we even did candy popcorn, we air popped a ton of popcorn and then drizzled melted chocolate and sugar on it. You can do peppermint melts, or crushed peppermints as well to stick to the popcorn. We only put the sugar on because it was some very not sweet vegan chocolate i had sitting around.

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2012, 12:51:36 PM »
That caramel rosemary popcorn that I think Bonita? posted last year is the shit.  Make that then send it to me  :D
Because PANTS

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2012, 05:41:34 PM »
we even did candy popcorn, we air popped a ton of popcorn and then drizzled melted chocolate and sugar on it. You can do peppermint melts, or crushed peppermints as well to stick to the popcorn. We only put the sugar on because it was some very not sweet vegan chocolate i had sitting around.

I will not be making anything with Peppermint.. I hate it! :)  I was told I should buy those slice em up cookies cuz "they're so good".. No way!   I've already reviewed Pinterest and I shall come up with something yummy and easy!

Offline Clementine

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2012, 05:52:51 PM »
I will not be making anything with Peppermint.. I hate it! :)  I was told I should buy those slice em up cookies cuz "they're so good".. No way!   I've already reviewed Pinterest and I shall come up with something yummy and easy!

What about cake mix cookies? They're way better than sliced and look homemade, but so easy. I like making them with Devil's Food cake mix and topping with a few Reese's Pieces or M&M's (or those York Peppermint M&M-style things, but apparently you're against that). I've also done Funfetti and other flavors, but the Devil's Food always seems the most "homemade" to me.

This is the recipe I've used in the past: http://vegetarian.about.com/od/desertrecipes/r/Cakemixcookies.htm but I think I cook them a bit longer than it says. (It does say "don't overcook" and that's very true. If they seem a tiny bit underdone when you take them out, they should remain chewy rather than crunchy.)

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2012, 05:59:43 PM »
What about cake mix cookies? They're way better than sliced and look homemade, but so easy. I like making them with Devil's Food cake mix and topping with a few Reese's Pieces or M&M's (or those York Peppermint M&M-style things, but apparently you're against that). I've also done Funfetti and other flavors, but the Devil's Food always seems the most "homemade" to me.

This is the recipe I've used in the past: http://vegetarian.about.com/od/desertrecipes/r/Cakemixcookies.htm but I think I cook them a bit longer than it says. (It does say "don't overcook" and that's very true. If they seem a tiny bit underdone when you take them out, they should remain chewy rather than crunchy.)

My sisters refer to these cookies as Big Butt Cookies, because they eat them all without sharing any.  They are pretty good, and super easy.  You could also roll the little balls of dough in powdered sugar before baking to make chocolate crinkle cookies.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2012, 06:11:26 PM »
MoS, Pinterest definitely is a good place to look, fudge would also be a good thing to make, cut up in small pieces, etc.

Offline Courtney

• The Runners
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2012, 06:57:02 PM »
This is even better if you use a Rolo instead of a Hershey's kiss.  My nephew made these for everyone for Christmas last year, and he was 3 1/2 at the time.  You can totally do that. 

Yeah, these are the first thing that disappears every time I make them. 

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2012, 10:56:29 PM »

My recipe really is easy, by the way. Unless dumping stuff in a pot and stirring is hard.

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2012, 11:31:35 PM »
Ok I got my cookies picked out.  I am making chinese noodle butterscotch cookies.. easy peasy.

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2012, 07:01:50 AM »
I remember those! They are yummy.
This space for rent.

+-SUPPORT US