Author Topic: Persimmon crisp  (Read 6134 times)

Offline Cool Foot Luke

• The Runners
    • The Promise of Living
Persimmon crisp
« on: December 01, 2012, 04:22:29 AM »
, along with other baked goods, is my job security. It was gone before noon at work today. That may just mean that I didn't make enough, but I choose to interpret it differently.

Take your favorite apple crisp recipe (I've got one, if you don't), and replace the apples with copious amounts of round persimmons (which are ridiculously cheap now, as a bonus). In the filling, reduce the sugar and any liquid ingredients because persimmons are sweeter and wetter. Increase the flour. Add ginger.

Would white wine be nice inside it? I didn't have any, but thought it might be an interesting addition since I refrigerated it overnight. Housemate suggested brandy, but I've never bought that in my life and suspect I wouldn't ever use it again.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
Re: Persimmon crisp
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 08:29:46 AM »
sounds delicious
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• Passed on to another Brane
  • has no fucks to give
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 08:41:14 AM »
, along with other baked goods, is my job security. It was gone before noon at work today. That may just mean that I didn't make enough, but I choose to interpret it differently.

Take your favorite apple crisp recipe (I've got one, if you don't), and replace the apples with copious amounts of round persimmons (which are ridiculously cheap now, as a bonus). In the filling, reduce the sugar and any liquid ingredients because persimmons are sweeter and wetter. Increase the flour. Add ginger.

Would white wine be nice inside it? I didn't have any, but thought it might be an interesting addition since I refrigerated it overnight. Housemate suggested brandy, but I've never bought that in my life and suspect I wouldn't ever use it again.

You should be able to buy the little airplane size bottles at a decent liquor store. 
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 03:28:44 PM »
brandy would probably be very good.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 05:52:31 PM »
I've never seen persimmons for sale.  Where do you buy them?

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 06:38:16 PM »
I've never seen persimmons for sale.  Where do you buy them?

Come to Mount Pleasant ... the BestWay Supermercado has great prices for them (and you can get some good Honduran sour crema and other Latin American stuff).  They have them at Whole Foods all over DC too ... for twice the price.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 07:04:15 PM »
Come to Mount Pleasant ... the BestWay Supermercado has great prices for them (and you can get some good Honduran sour crema and other Latin American stuff).  They have them at Whole Foods all over DC too ... for twice the price.

Hey, thanks for that.  When I was a kid, we lived just across Oregon Avenue from Rock Creek Park.  My Dad found a persimmon tree in the park, and we used to pick up the freshly fallen ones off the ground and eat them.  Haven't had persimmons since, but it would bring back some nice memories to have them again. 

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 08:54:37 PM »
You are lucky to live in persimmon land! They just aren't the same as right off the tree.

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 10:21:04 AM »
Hey, thanks for that.  When I was a kid, we lived just across Oregon Avenue from Rock Creek Park.  My Dad found a persimmon tree in the park, and we used to pick up the freshly fallen ones off the ground and eat them.  Haven't had persimmons since, but it would bring back some nice memories to have them again. 

Really?!  I want to find that tree!  I always assumed they were tropical.

Offline MikoftheWat

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 12:49:41 PM »
My only persimmon experience caused my to pucker up like crazy.  (They aren't tart, it was weird)
Neglected girls shouldn't worry, it's what god made Sailors for.

They call them Aviators in the Navy.  They say they're better than pilots.
-Tom Wolfe

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 10:25:55 PM »

It used to be located more or less here.  But I'm not sure the tree has survived the decades since we used to play in that part of the park.  Sometime when I'm down there I'll have to see if I can find it. 

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 10:59:00 AM »
i love persimmons, but i am so allergic to them.  lucky.

Offline Cool Foot Luke

• The Runners
    • The Promise of Living
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 02:09:43 AM »

Mostly produced in China these days, though Japan was a/the leading producer for quite a while. Of course we can grow anything in California, so it was introduced here early on. I'm not sure if my fruit was from Asia or California. I live very close to a grocery store that carries all sorts of crazy stuff, especially those fruits native to East Asia: Buddha's Hands, Dragon Fruit, Phukets, etc.

There is one variety that is native to the Eastern United States. Perhaps that persimmon tree is of that variety?

+-SUPPORT US