Author Topic: Immersion Blenders?  (Read 15475 times)

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
Re: Immersion Blenders?
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2012, 12:37:23 PM »
I think the really smooth soups are also put through a chinoise after they are blended.
This space for rent.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2012, 01:30:56 PM »
I think the really smooth soups are also put through a chinoise after they are blended.

Yes, if you want it really smooth, you're going to have to strain it regardless. You definitely do not get a smoother texture with an immersion blender than a regular blender.

Offline ecodork

• Incredibly Obsessive Poster
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2012, 05:17:39 PM »
I'm not sure what brand we have, but it's name is Phyllis the Phallus! :D

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2012, 06:22:19 PM »
I'm not sure what brand we have, but it's name is Phyllis the Phallus! :D
:rotfl:
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline omega lambda

• The Runners
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2012, 02:28:47 PM »
Yesterday, I picked up a pretty inexpensive immersion blender at an outlet store.  It's all metal up to the (purple!) handle and has two speeds and it was $20.00.  I'm going to give it whirl!  heh

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2012, 02:50:16 PM »
Yesterday, I picked up a pretty inexpensive immersion blender at an outlet store.  It's all metal up to the (purple!) handle and has two speeds and it was $20.00.  I'm going to give it whirl!  heh

I want a purple one!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2012, 08:44:17 PM »
me too! i will trade you red for purple  :preen:
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline marjolaine

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2012, 10:24:24 PM »
We have Braun. I think we paid $50 for it 25 years or so ago. It's old, made of plastic, but works like new. We use it to make salad dressings, aioli, dips, and now I use it to blend fillings for my macarons that have fruit jam in it. I recently used it to make harissa sauce without dirtying up our processor. It's so much easier to clean than the blender or the food processor. <I didn't know how to clean it until last summer when we used it in the pastry class and chef O showed us how. It was like being shown magic. I've not used our blender since for this reason!>
“You'll never know everything about anything, especially something you love.”
― Julia Child

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2012, 11:38:26 AM »
what is the cleaning secret?
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline marjolaine

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2012, 12:57:03 AM »
It's not a secret. But to me it felt like it was. You know the cup the blender came with? Fill it with hot water and some dish soap, and whirl the blades, repeating as necessary. Change the water to rinse whirling the blade until there are no bubbles in the water. I was so dumb for trying to clean it by running the faucet over it using a dish brush to clean out the stuck food particles after each use. I hated using it for this reason. I guess I should have read the operating instruction booklet.  :eyeroll:

Also whirling the blades in a bowl of warm water keeps the food stuff from drying out in the crevices under the blades in between uses during food prep.
― Julia Child

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2012, 08:50:52 AM »
good tip!  I never read the instructions either
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2012, 09:07:22 AM »
I put mine in the dishwasher...it says not to but I only rarely use it and it seems fine.

Offline omega lambda

• The Runners
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2012, 10:36:41 AM »
I put mine in the dishwasher...it says not to but I only rarely use it and it seems fine.

You put the whole thing in the dishwasher?  Or does it come apart?  I haven't used mine yet, nor have I read the instructions.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2012, 10:43:07 AM »
Whatever you do, make sure you clean immediately. As soon as those food particles dry on the blades and shaft, you're screwed.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2012, 11:23:16 AM »
You put the whole thing in the dishwasher?  Or does it come apart?  I haven't used mine yet, nor have I read the instructions.

It comes apart. I always soak it immediately also.

Offline marjolaine

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2012, 04:04:04 PM »
Whatever you do, make sure you clean immediately. As soon as those food particles dry on the blades and shaft, you're screwed.

That's what the bowl of water nearby is for. Whirl it in after each use. It's such a pleasure to use that thing once I got the hang of rinsing it immediately.
― Julia Child

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2012, 07:27:26 AM »
It's not a secret. But to me it felt like it was. You know the cup the blender came with? Fill it with hot water and some dish soap, and whirl the blades, repeating as necessary. Change the water to rinse whirling the blade until there are no bubbles in the water. I was so dumb for trying to clean it by running the faucet over it using a dish brush to clean out the stuck food particles after each use. I hated using it for this reason. I guess I should have read the operating instruction booklet.  :eyeroll:

Also whirling the blades in a bowl of warm water keeps the food stuff from drying out in the crevices under the blades in between uses during food prep.

Thanks for this, it makes sense, but I never thought of this.

Offline omega lambda

• The Runners
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2012, 08:11:01 PM »
I used it for the first time and like it.  It made quick work of my pumpkin soup.  I really liked the immersion blender, the pumpkin soup not so much.

Offline marjolaine

« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2012, 02:01:18 PM »
I used it for the first time and like it.  It made quick work of my pumpkin soup.  I really liked the immersion blender, the pumpkin soup not so much.

Someone here posted a recipe for curried butternut soup. I heard it was delicious.
― Julia Child

Offline MiniDriver

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2012, 04:11:30 PM »
I just burned out the motor in mine. Off to Bed, Bath & Beyond first thing tomorrow.
#minidriverisagenius

Shut up mini. Just because google changed it, doesn't mean in elementary school, we got it wrong.

She's an awful, awful human being.

I tend to trust Mini on these issues
Mini is so smart!

+-SUPPORT US