Author Topic: Tagine!  (Read 4516 times)

Offline harmony

• Help me, I'm melting....
Tagine!
« on: January 21, 2012, 08:36:23 AM »
Received a Tagine for Christmas.  I made this last weekend:

http://thelunacafe.com/chicken-tagine-with-baby-artichokes-green-olives-apricots-preserved-lemon/

Which was delicious.  Next up is a scallop and chickpea Tagine.  I'm really enjoying the new (to me) spice combinations and the incredible aromas.  Even the visual of the tagine with food is mouth-watering.  Anyone have any wonderful recipes?

Offline blue sleep

Re: Tagine!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 09:43:09 AM »
Hooray!  Here's a link from earlier in the fall.  I was just thinking about what to make next weekend.  Your recipe sounds great.

http://chrunners.net/forum/index.php?topic=60147.msg1303279#msg1303279
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 02:11:47 PM by blue sleep »
Baa, baa Blue Sleep

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• Passed on to another Brane
  • has no fucks to give
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 10:27:30 AM »
Awesome! 

I got one for Christmas as well! 

I haven't even touched it yet, but I will soon!
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline all-smiles

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 10:50:23 AM »
Ooh that recipe looks totally dorol worthy; are most tagine recipes pretty labor intensive or no?
Sufficient unto the day is one baby. As long as you are in your right mind don't you ever pray for twins. Twins amount to a permanent riot; and there ain't any real difference between triplets and a insurrection.
- Mark Twain

Offline blue sleep

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 02:11:21 PM »
Not labor intensive -- cut stuff up, put on the lid, come back in a couple hours (except for seafood which is obviously less).  No stirring.
Baa, baa Blue Sleep

Offline harmony

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 08:23:37 PM »
Really easy and satisfying.  The one I posted was amazing...you prep the chicken the day prior with a spice rub that makes it incredibly moist and tender.  It's a delicious, succulent dish, really wonderful and fun to cook.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 08:38:10 PM »
gorgeous!  I'm totally bummed that my DH is half Moroccan and won't eat tagine.  None of it.  >:(
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline triciaflower

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 10:47:58 PM »
I have a kitchen store gift card burning a hole in my pocket. I am planning to buy a Tagine!!

Any recipes to try? What cuts of meat work best? Do you use it on your grill?

Offline harmony

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 07:27:56 AM »
I made the chicken recipe again last week and it was soooo good.  This is another good one:

http://habeasbrulee.com/2006/12/27/scallop-chickpea-tagine/

I've only used it on the stovetop.  We went out for dinner recently and I had a salad with preserved lemon vinaigrette on it which was amazing.  I'm going to try that with dinner tonight.

Offline triciaflower

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 12:33:53 PM »
I FINALLY bought a tagine yesterday. It's getting seasoned as we speak, and will be ready for cooking later today.

Any good online references for recipes and such that will give me ideas? Any tips?

I have an African cookbook, but the tagine recipes are written for a casserole dish. How do I begin?

Do I just throw everything in and pop it in the oven with the lid on?
Do I need a diffuser for a gas range if I want to use it on the stovetop?

I am terrified of cracking it.

Offline harmony

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 04:13:48 PM »
Congratulations!  i made the chicken recipe in my first post on New Year's Eve, it had been a while since I used the tagine.  I use it on the stovetop.  I have an electric stove, so can't speak to the gas stovetop although I wish I did have that.  I dislike chicken, so it's a big deal for me to make this recipe repeatedly!  The ceramic is so thick I've never worried about cracking it, and the heat up is pretty slow.  The sequence is pretty much the same as any other recipe; brown any meat/saute onions,garlic,spices, then add it all together and let it simmer.  Have fun!!  The dishes are always so succulent and rich, it's delicious. 

+-SUPPORT US