Author Topic: Applesauce recipe  (Read 3465 times)

Offline diablita

• The Runners
Applesauce recipe
« on: August 23, 2020, 07:48:00 AM »
We went to an orchard yesterday and I have a ton of apples.  I remember RA had a great applesauce recipe and can't find it so I'm looking for any and all recipes here.  (yes I can google but I like tried and true)

bonus points for really flavorful recipes b/c everyone in the world is apple picking right now and the girls had to grab some not-quite-ripe ones
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
Re: Applesauce recipe
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 09:18:28 AM »
Honestly, last time I just cored them and threw them in the instant pot with a very small amount of water and a shake of cinnamon, then hit them with a stick blender afterward. Super easy.

Offline glwestcott

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
Applesauce recipe
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2020, 05:47:46 PM »

DW and I used honeycrisps to make Apple Fritters yesterday. Good fun and boy do they beat store bought.  Of course they only use up three apples...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2020, 05:57:33 PM »
Honestly, last time I just cored them and threw them in the instant pot with a very small amount of water and a shake of cinnamon, then hit them with a stick blender afterward. Super easy.

I do this, but in the microwave and I add vanilla.  It freezes very well, too.  I eat it every day with homemade yogurt.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2020, 07:11:54 PM »
Thanks everyone.  Those fritters do look good!

I loaned a friend my instant pot and have no intention of getting it back.  But same idea in a big stock pot, I'm sure. 
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2020, 07:28:22 PM »
You can just do it on the stove in a regular pot. It's pretty quick. The recipe I use is in a regular cookbook & I'm not home. But it has a little brown sugar and a little cinnamon but I often leave the sugar out. I can't remember if I add water maybe? Seems like enough to get it started. Homemade applesauce is the best!

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2020, 09:34:01 AM »

I do this, but in a stock pot. Sometimes I use a potato masher instead of a blender if I want a more rustic sauce.

If I am going to bottle applesauce (almost never), I will look up a recipe for the appropriate amount of sugar to add... my grandmother's recipe used too much, my mother's too little. Typically, though, I will freeze what I don't use right away... or only make enough to use before it goes off.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2020, 10:17:21 AM »
I don't have an apple tree or anything so I also just make what I can use and find applesauce lasts a good long time. I don't bother to puree or skin my apples.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2020, 11:05:57 AM »
I don't have an apple tree or anything so I also just make what I can use and find applesauce lasts a good long time. I don't bother to puree or skin my apples.
I never peel my apples, but I do like to purée them a little. I love homemade applesauce soooooo much.

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2020, 11:32:11 AM »
I never peel my apples, but I do like to purée them a little. I love homemade applesauce soooooo much.

I peel them if I am planning to use a potato masher to crush them, leave the peels and cores on if I am planning to run through a food mill... but I would definitely core them if I was planning to use a stick blender!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2020, 08:07:40 PM »
I just chop roughly and cook till mush.

+-SUPPORT US