Author Topic: What do you make from scratch on a regular basis?  (Read 16239 times)

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
Re: What do you make from scratch on a regular basis?
« Reply #80 on: August 11, 2020, 08:11:06 PM »
this is a great video from bon appetit : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ktONdU_wXU (almost all of their videos are great)

i would start with brad's method and experiment.

Brad is fancier than me with his non-alcoholic juice of grapes, but that's the general idea for mustard with a little texture. 

Offline picote

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
« Reply #81 on: August 24, 2020, 07:53:21 PM »
Haven’t tried the mustard yet, but we’ve been having great luck with our own deli meat.

DH bought a covid kegerator and after realizing how much we love it, next on tap is trying to homebrew beer!

Offline Alf Tupper

• The Runners
« Reply #82 on: September 15, 2020, 06:25:12 AM »
My mum used to make her own Baileys. Tasted really nice and way cheaper than shop bought. With which she also made ice cream.
Recipes on line.
If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced.

That's why people with no sense of humour have an increased sense of self-importance.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #83 on: September 15, 2020, 07:53:22 AM »
My mum used to make her own Baileys. Tasted really nice and way cheaper than shop bought. With which she also made ice cream.
Recipes on line.
My brother makes it too, every Xmas.

Offline picote

« Reply #84 on: September 15, 2020, 09:40:19 AM »
Ohhh, that sounds good! I love baileys!

Our deli meat experiment, in combination with a food saver, has been a huge success. The Costco ham is great for slicing, cheap and already prepared. We’ve had great luck smoking chicken and turkey breast too. The only thing I haven’t nailed yet it a good roast beef. We’ve been making a tritip, which is amazing, but we never have enough left over to slice it. The top round roasts I’ve tried are ok, but nothing special.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #85 on: September 15, 2020, 11:21:41 AM »
Apparently, it's going to be pimiento cheese.  I was buying the Palmetto brand with jalapenos, but apparently they are terrible racist people.  I tried the Publix brand (no jalapenos), and although the reviews were decent and it's definitely real cheese in there, I don't like it.  (I think it's just too mayonnaise-y; I'm a bad Southerner).  So I bought all the stuff to make my own and I guess I'll be doing it on the regular.   I hope one can freeze it, because a batch is about twice as large as it needs to be, but it fits the size bags that cheese comes in and jars/cans that pimientos and green chilis come in. 
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline picote

« Reply #86 on: September 19, 2020, 04:36:24 PM »
I had no idea you could make your own pimento cheese! And this is probably where I should confess that I never knew like to was a cheese. I always thought of it as a pepper.

I tried another incarnation of mustard this morning. And another inedible batch. I’m trying to make a homemade version of boars head deli mustard, so I’ve been looking for recipes with horseradish. I think the horseradish I have may be super strong or off. There’s just no way what I’m making is edible. I made up half a batch and then added another half batch, minus the called for horseradish, but while not as bad, it’s still :vomit:

I might add another half batch and see if that makes it better.

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #87 on: September 19, 2020, 10:41:17 PM »
I had no idea you could make your own pimento cheese! And this is probably where I should confess that I never knew like to was a cheese. I always thought of it as a pepper.

I tried another incarnation of mustard this morning. And another inedible batch. I’m trying to make a homemade version of boars head deli mustard, so I’ve been looking for recipes with horseradish. I think the horseradish I have may be super strong or off. There’s just no way what I’m making is edible. I made up half a batch and then added another half batch, minus the called for horseradish, but while not as bad, it’s still :vomit:

I might add another half batch and see if that makes it better.

are you using fresh horseradish or preserved horseradish?

Offline picote

« Reply #88 on: September 20, 2020, 12:51:20 AM »

are you using fresh horseradish or preserved horseradish?

It’s ‘prepared‘ horseradish, which is what the recipes seem to call for. I also have a cream of horseradish, which now I’m wondering if I should try that instead. The most recent recipe seemed to have potential if not for the way too sharp bite, so I thought diluting out the horseradish would help, but while it’s a little better, it’s definitely still off. I may try it again, but leave out the horseradish and taste before adding. Then at least I could add in small bits.

FWIW, I love spicy, so if this is inedible, it’s way off. While it’s wasabi nose clearing spicy, it also has a really sharp off taste. 

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #89 on: September 20, 2020, 07:14:08 AM »
It’s ‘prepared‘ horseradish, which is what the recipes seem to call for. I also have a cream of horseradish, which now I’m wondering if I should try that instead. The most recent recipe seemed to have potential if not for the way too sharp bite, so I thought diluting out the horseradish would help, but while it’s a little better, it’s definitely still off. I may try it again, but leave out the horseradish and taste before adding. Then at least I could add in small bits.

FWIW, I love spicy, so if this is inedible, it’s way off. While it’s wasabi nose clearing spicy, it also has a really sharp off taste.
Does it have enough sugar?  That's usually what mellows the acidic off taste I've found.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Offline picote

« Reply #90 on: September 20, 2020, 10:32:46 AM »
Does it have enough sugar?  That's usually what mellows the acidic off taste I've found.

It has honey in it, but that’s a good point. When I smelled the premade mustard it definitely has a sweeter smell. Will try adding more honey.

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #91 on: September 20, 2020, 10:46:04 AM »
In just going by my experience with tomatoes.  It takes a surprising amount of sugar to make the soup/sauce etc taste good.  I go with it because it's definitely less sugar than store bought and obviously better overall since it's home grown

Offline picote

« Reply #92 on: September 20, 2020, 04:14:17 PM »
I’m happy to report that with a night to mellow, it’s looking much more promising! DH was even willing to risk it on a sandwich, which is a first. Unfortunately the sandwich was so full of pepperocinis (see my business Costco discovery in the garden thread) that he couldn’t fully evaluate the Mustard, but it was definitely on the acceptable scale. Still a bit pungent, but I think it’s a good start.

Offline picote

« Reply #93 on: December 10, 2020, 02:41:55 PM »
Bumping this thread to say that the book Make the bread, Buy the butter is on sale for $1.99 on kindle and I’m probably 10 years behind, but I feel like I found my person! And in reading her stories about her mom, I think we may have been raised by the same mother too! I keep making my DH read excerpts and he finally told me he’s getting ptsd every time he reads it.  :roll: The egg/chicken chapter is especially poignant.

+-SUPPORT US