Author Topic: What are your staples?  (Read 13998 times)

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
Re: What are your staples?
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2015, 08:02:58 AM »
I listed it because it's something I always have around (thus I consider it a staple), but like dried legumes and masa harina, I don't buy it every grocery trip, only when I'm running low. 

I gift homemade candy for Christmas... there's no way a bag of sugar would do me more than a year.  A box of sugar cubes (which we have in order to make old-fashioned cocktails when the mood strikes), could last for years.

OK, I buy/use it so rarely that I don't even think about it. Salt is in the same category for me.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2015, 04:59:37 PM »
OK, I buy/use it so rarely that I don't even think about it. Salt is in the same category for me.

You don't salt your food when cooking?

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2015, 07:21:27 PM »
You don't salt your food when cooking?

No.  Never.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2015, 06:38:28 AM »
Hmm, looking at these, I think we should do more bean meals. I don't really know any, maybe I'll start a new thread about it.
I could give you endless bean recipes :D We eat beans as our main source of protein here. Lots of lentils. They cook fast and easy without presoaking.

I salt my food because when i make soup (usually a batch a week) i do not use broth, i use water. I also have horribly low blood pressure and they only advice given to me was MORE SALT. Oy.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2015, 08:49:21 AM »
I could give you endless bean recipes :D We eat beans as our main source of protein here. Lots of lentils. They cook fast and easy without presoaking.

I salt my food because when i make soup (usually a batch a week) i do not use broth, i use water. I also have horribly low blood pressure and they only advice given to me was MORE SALT. Oy.

Lentils are so easy to make in the rice cooker.

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2015, 09:00:38 AM »
Lentils are so easy to make in the rice cooker.

But then you have to eat them.  That's the hard part.  :D

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2015, 06:07:09 PM »
But then you have to eat them.  That's the hard part.  :D

oh no, lentil salad!!!!!!

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2015, 09:12:43 AM »
No.  Never.

Really? Salt is such a fantastic flavor enhancer. Do you have high blood pressure?

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2015, 09:51:58 AM »
Really? Salt is such a fantastic flavor enhancer. Do you have high blood pressure?
1! and I am always told to eat more.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Online ihop

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2015, 01:04:40 PM »
1! and I am always told to eat more.

Yup.  I have really low blood pressure too. 
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2015, 05:57:16 PM »

No, no HBP.  My parents did, and that is how I never learned to add salt.  There is enough sodium in canned beans, bread, bagels and other stuff that I get enough. 

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2015, 06:17:43 PM »
No, no HBP.  My parents did, and that is how I never learned to add salt.  There is enough sodium in canned beans, bread, bagels and other stuff that I get enough.

So true.  I love salt and use it in cooking, but not because my body actually needs any extra.  When I used to be hypertensive, I never added salt to my food.  But my hypertension went away when I stopped eating gluten, so I can salt away with impunity now. 

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2015, 12:34:10 PM »

I wasn't thinking so much about getting "enough" (because yeah, the processed stuff you just mentioned has plenty of sodium), but salt makes such a big flavor difference in recipes.

If you're used to it though, it probably won't be anything you would miss. I have low blood pressure and sweat like a Turkish prisoner when I'm running so sodium is not a concern for me.

Online ihop

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2015, 11:56:15 AM »
I wasn't thinking so much about getting "enough" (because yeah, the processed stuff you just mentioned has plenty of sodium), but salt makes such a big flavor difference in recipes.

If you're used to it though, it probably won't be anything you would miss. I have low blood pressure and sweat like a Turkish prisoner when I'm running so sodium is not a concern for me.

:roll:

My neighbor saw me shake like a dog this morning.   :(
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

+-SUPPORT US