Author Topic: What temps do you consider cool?  (Read 2749 times)

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
What temps do you consider cool?
« on: June 12, 2018, 10:21:16 AM »
So, I have a very loose formula for what to wear given various temps.  Anything 55+, I'll probably wear just a jog bra and shorts. 

45-55 is probably a short-sleeved shirt and shorts. Maybe arm warmers, and probably something to cover my ears. Probably gloves.

40-45 is probably capris, and either a long-sleeved shirt or short, but with arm warmers.  Ear cover and gloves.

<40 tights or capris, LS shirt, definitely ear cover and gloves.  Around 35 is where I would probably tuck those pocket hand warmers in my gloves

Admittedly, I'm not cut out for cold weather running like I used to be.  Also, because the temps don't tend to stay cold here, it doesn't make economic sense to spend a ton of money on cold weather clothes.  I moved from NJ to TX in 2001 and had the same two pairs of running tights until I finally got tired of them and replaced them back in 2016. 

The reason for my question is that on another pretty slow-moving, non-running board I'm on, a member asked what to wear for a "cool-weather" run she was doing, with expected temps in the 40s-50s.  She did not say cold.  She said cool.  Almost everyone who replied threw shade and said "that's not cool!". 

Really?  I think that's cool.  It's certainly not "warm".  Is it? 

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
Re: What temps do you consider cool?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 11:26:54 AM »
New Englander here, and an "always cold" person. I'd put 40-50 in the cool category, actually.

While I'd dress a little warmer than you would for 45 degrees, I don't think 45 degrees is that cold.

And the level of moisture in the air definitely makes a big difference.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

• I really have a life. It's around here someplace....
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 12:09:14 PM »
Things are somewhat dependent on wind, humidity, and whether the sun is out or not. Also each of us is going to be a bit different, and that indeed does change. I'm less cool/cold tolerant than 10 or 30 years ago. To me cool starts at under 45 or so.

I find 50-55 pretty comfortable, but might wear a long sleeve if it's just a run. Short sleeve for a workout, and singlet for racing.

Under 50 I may or may not wear gloves. Certainly at 40, and if it's not supposed to warm up. Long sleeves and a baseball cap (which I wear under most conditions above 40 regardless). If it's a race at 40 or so, I'll wear a short sleeve or singlet and gloves.

Under 40, I'll wear warm ups, tights, or half tights, depending on the effort and duration of the workout. If it's still and sun is out I'll wear a short sleeve down to about 30 for a race, but probably have a buff, and definitely gloves. I'll wear long sleeves if it's just a regular run.

20s is getting cold, but I'll still usually wear half tights and a long sleeve down to about 20. Full tights or warm ups for a long run.   
I'll stick to running, thank you.

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 12:49:23 PM »
The reason for my question is that on another pretty slow-moving, non-running board I'm on, a member asked what to wear for a "cool-weather" run she was doing, with expected temps in the 40s-50s.  She did not say cold.  She said cool.  Almost everyone who replied threw shade and said "that's not cool!". 

Really?  I think that's cool.  It's certainly not "warm".  Is it? 

After a winter stretch where temps are in the single digits and teens, the 40's are considered hot.  So its really a question of comparative temps as well as semantics.  Maybe best to stick with actual temps than personal adjectives, like cool or pleasant or warm.

Personally, my rule is anything > 40 and I am wearing shorts.  Gloves for anything < 55.  For the top it depends on whether I am racing or if it is just a training run.  Long sleeves for 40-59 training run, t-shirt for 50-59 race.

I would get drunk on Bud Light with Dylan Mulvaney.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 01:05:09 PM »
So much of this is personal preference. I intensely hate the first cold mile. But then I super heat.

DH runs much colder than I do and stays cold. There are photos where I am in shorts and a tank top and he is in long sleeves, pants, a hat, & gloves.

For me: Shorts to 40 degrees. Tshirt to 45.

I do not typically find it comfortable to run much under 40 but part of that is that it's usually at least a little wet here and near freezing & wet (and often windy) is fucking miserable.

I would call cool-weather probably 50-60 degrees? But, again, 60 and grey & damp feels SO much colder than 60 & dry & sunny.

Offline nadra's babydaddy

• The Runners
  • Official CH Trainwreck Historian
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 11:27:09 AM »
For running purposes, I don't know what arbitrary terms I'd assign, but I'll typically be shirtless down to about 60, throw on a long sleeve below 40, gloves/hat below 30, and some pants below 20.  I think 'cool' is fair for 40s-50s though. 

Were people implying that it's not cool because it's cold or because it's warm  ???

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 11:51:12 AM »
25C or higher (77F+) - not running outside, forget it, too hot
15 to 24C (59-75F) - shorts, tank top
8 to 14C (46-57F) - shorts, long sleeves that I can roll up or layers to shed
-1 to 8C (30-46F) - long pants, long sleeves, gloves if it's windy or on the lower end of the temp range
-8 to -2C (18-28F) - long pants, long sleeves, gloves, wool cap
<-8C - not running outside, forget it, too cold

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 10:55:22 PM »
Not cool because it’s warm. Ridic.

Offline nadra's babydaddy

• The Runners
  • Official CH Trainwreck Historian
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 12:31:56 AM »
Huh.  I feel like I have a higher cold tolerance than most and I'd possibly call 50s warm, but not 40s.    At any rate, I definitely wouldn't fault anyone for calling it cool.  Shit, I hear people complaining about cold when it's in the 70s.  Is this forum based in Alaska or something? 

Offline Plugging Along

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 12:15:32 AM »
Is the sun shining?
Is the wind blowing?
Is it raining?

Generally I find 60 degrees to be getting on the warm side,
but that has to do with me being well above 200 lbs.

My best temp is probably about 50.
It actually feels a little chilly at the start, and I
often need gloves and a head band to keep my ears warm,
but once I get going I start putting out a lot of heat.

Your hotness may vary.

+-SUPPORT US