Author Topic: Is HDR cheating?  (Read 4953 times)

Offline Mrtambourineman

• Passed on to another Brane
Is HDR cheating?
« on: February 17, 2015, 05:35:26 PM »
I've seen some amazing images lately that look too good to be true.  I suspect many of them are taken using the HDR (High Dynamic Range) shooting in the images because they look more like what my eye would see than what the camera would normally see.  I appreciate them, but in a way I feel a bit like they're cheating. 

What do you guys think? 
I've been doing this how long?

Offline GeekMaster

• Administrator
    • Michael Bartmon Computer Services
Re: Is HDR cheating?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 06:59:26 PM »
No more than dark room manipulation.  Ansel Adams photos are all dark room enhanced.
"They will have to pry the keyboard from my cold, dead fingers."

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."  Robin Williams

"I would rather not understand things than be certain about something that is wrong." Feynman

Offline Hotspur

• Incredibly Obsessive Poster
  • C'mon You Spurs!
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 07:19:38 PM »
absolutely. i like the wide tonal range, but it is a total cheat. i have fun processing hdr images, but they are like candy. a solid subject photo with the right light (non-hdr) is like meat.

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 04:02:58 AM »
I wouldn't call it cheating... I think it's just another tool, another paintbrush.

I think it makes it easier for peeps like me to make a statement about how we see something.  When I shoot the Painted Churches, it allows me to convey a lot of what they look like to me.... a bit over the top and gaudy. 

You can make things that are colorful and lush in real color quite dark and ominous with B&W... to me it's the same kind of statement.

It can certainly be overused and abused, and by the same token, it can be done without most people not even knowing it, ie interior Real Estate pics, magazine interiors, etc. 

People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline omega lambda

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 03:16:26 PM »
I don't think it is cheating, and when used effectively, it can produce the tonal ranges our eyes can see instead of limiting an image to the tonal range of the sensor. But eliminating shadows instead of adjusting  the shadows to bring out some details just looks wrong and I don't care for it. Shadows and highlights are necessary for texture and depth.

I agree it can be over used and abused, but it is a new toy, and much like spot coloring, it will have its 15 minutes of fame and then be relegated to dated photography.

Last fall, I went on a vacation with a bunch of photographers. These trips used to be a lot fun; people would spend bus time getting to know each other, talking about cameras and gear, etc. This last trip was definitely different in two ways; most of the photographers had tablets and spent bus time enhancing their images so we didn't get to know people like we have in the past, and most everyone got hooked on the snapseed app, which resulted in some bizarrely, over processed photos.  :nono: I don't think I will do another one of those trips.

Offline Mrtambourineman

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 11:14:25 AM »
I just found out that my T3 can do it.  I'm tempted to play with it, but its buried down in the menu so it won't be something I use spur of the moment. 
I've been doing this how long?

+-SUPPORT US