Author Topic: When did I become 80 years old?  (Read 4841 times)

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
When did I become 80 years old?
« on: August 23, 2016, 03:33:59 PM »
I've run very little in 2016 for a variety of reasons so you would think I wouldn't have any runner's injuries.

Nope. Plantar fasciitis, hamstring pain, piriformis tightness on both sides. What the hell? Also, my lower back is sore. And my middle finger.

Offline RioG

• The Runners
Re: When did I become 80 years old?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 03:43:54 PM »
i can relate.  I'm going to biweekly physio just so i don't feel like a crippled old woman.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Offline Handsome Jack

• The Runners
  • All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 03:54:42 PM »
use it or lose it, tough guy!
Winner of the 2022 Azzhat of the Year award

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 04:16:31 PM »

That's what I tried to do jerk face!

Offline Handsome Jack

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 09:03:45 PM »
Too much too soon, CA or is this the stuff of lingering injuries not fully healed yet?

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 08:35:47 AM »
Too much too soon, CA or is this the stuff of lingering injuries not fully healed yet?

This more or less came out of nowhere. I had a bout of PF several years back and have been careful with my footwear since then, but no real problems except some minor pain when I'm doing high mileage. But I've barely been running so I have no idea why it is so painful right now. I tried a 30 minute run yesterday and I was absolutely hobbled afterwards.

Went for a sports massage yesterday evening and it helped with the piriformis (and to a lesser extent, the hamstring), but my foot is killing me.

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 09:32:09 AM »
This happened to me a couple of years ago...it seemed like out of nowhere I was just injured all the time.  Back, hips, feet, etc.  For me, I think it was just the cumulative effect of training, sitting at my desk all day, a weak core, and lack of proper stretching/yoga.  Once I started focusing more on improving all of that, I've been much, much better.  I can pretty much run pain-free now.

Regarding your PF....do you have a slant board?  I ordered one off Amazon to stretch my calves.  Also, try the Orb (on Amazon too) to really work smaller, detailed places in your back and hips. 

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 09:41:02 AM »
This happened to me a couple of years ago...it seemed like out of nowhere I was just injured all the time.  Back, hips, feet, etc.  For me, I think it was just the cumulative effect of training, sitting at my desk all day, a weak core, and lack of proper stretching/yoga.  Once I started focusing more on improving all of that, I've been much, much better.  I can pretty much run pain-free now.

Regarding your PF....do you have a slant board?  I ordered one off Amazon to stretch my calves.  Also, try the Orb (on Amazon too) to really work smaller, detailed places in your back and hips. 

I've been focused on yoga for the last four months or so and usually attend a Vinyasa class 3-4 days a week. My calves have never felt better! It's just the rest of me that is falling apart. The yoga has, unfortunately, really inflamed my hamstring so I will have to take some time off from that too.  :-\

Is this the orb you are referring to? https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Tec-Athletics-Density-Massage-Diameter/dp/B00B2YAD46/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472046013&sr=8-1&keywords=orb+ball

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 03:56:35 PM »
Nope. Plantar fasciitis, hamstring pain, piriformis tightness on both sides. What the hell? Also, my lower back is sore. And my middle finger.

He's just begging to be flipped the bird
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Handsome Jack

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 05:48:26 PM »
 :D

Offline Fast Eddie

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 06:43:42 PM »
I hear ya.  My piriformis syndrome is so off and on and I'm nine days away from my next marathon.   :nails:
Live, learn, have amazing sex, and move on!!  :D - floridagal

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2016, 12:50:43 PM »
Yes, that's it!

Between that and really stretching my back, I'm relatively pain-free.  I also have an adjustable standing desk at work now.

+-SUPPORT US