Author Topic: Murph at it again - now a full time professional marathon investigator!  (Read 3117 times)

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

• I really have a life. It's around here someplace....
Running Rogue podcast was really interesting this week. I'm only about 60% through, but this runner was DQd from her recent BQ and once again Murph was the one who dug it out. She ran the distance but had some pacing help, and against rules. But even more interesting is that Murph says he's now a race consultant and this is his full time job, outing race cheaters. They interview him at length, starting about half way in.

http://runningrogue.libsyn.com/episode-112-ashley-rollins-and-the-bq-dq
I'll stick to running, thank you.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
Re: Murph at it again - now a full time professional marathon investigator!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 11:23:14 AM »
cool.  I'm catching up on podcasts; this one is up next for me.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 02:55:17 PM »
Couple thoughts to maybe get some discussion.

I have mixed feelings on DD/Murph. Definitely want cheaters caught but it's also kind of vigilante justice. And now he's making a living off it by tracking races? It's just all a little weird.

But if you listen to his interview, wow a lot going on. He said something in the line of 4-5% violation rate (if I heard that right). We've all heard of bib mules and course cutters, but I didn't think those carrying more than one bib at time would be a thing. So there is a cheaters underworld out there, doing things that most of us wouldn't even think about. 

The woman in the interview, Alisha. I sort of feel for her, especially after a breakout race like that and actually covering the distance on her own. Having a bandited pacer is almost in the gray area because unless you're talking prize money or age group awards you don't think about it too much. A friend pacing a friend in a race. But when you're getting to BQ and marathon logistics (i.e., the distance itself) I guess people take it more seriously now. But what about ultras, isn't that a thing to pace a friend for parts of the course? And I'd be real interested to find out in this case, who was the snitch? My guess, someone who ran 3:31 and didn't qualify that day.

Nevertheless, she's an experienced runner with nearly 10 years of running and racing. And she's now a group leader/coach with their rather large commercial operation there at Rogue. She should have known. Particularly in this day of Instagram and instant photos. 

Offline nadra's babydaddy

• The Runners
  • Official CH Trainwreck Historian
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 11:30:01 AM »
I'm going to laugh when Murph gets busted cutting some course himself.  Like all those fire and brimstone preachers who turn out to be gay!  :old:

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 11:35:36 AM »
I'm going to laugh when Murph gets busted cutting some course himself.  Like all those fire and brimstone preachers who turn out to be gay!  :old:

He's making enemies. Someone attacked his site this week. 

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=9241812&page=1

Offline SnarlyMarly

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 11:25:25 AM »
Couple thoughts to maybe get some discussion.

I have mixed feelings on DD/Murph. Definitely want cheaters caught but it's also kind of vigilante justice. And now he's making a living off it by tracking races? It's just all a little weird.

But if you listen to his interview, wow a lot going on. He said something in the line of 4-5% violation rate (if I heard that right). We've all heard of bib mules and course cutters, but I didn't think those carrying more than one bib at time would be a thing. So there is a cheaters underworld out there, doing things that most of us wouldn't even think about. 

The woman in the interview, Alisha. I sort of feel for her, especially after a breakout race like that and actually covering the distance on her own. Having a bandited pacer is almost in the gray area because unless you're talking prize money or age group awards you don't think about it too much. A friend pacing a friend in a race. But when you're getting to BQ and marathon logistics (i.e., the distance itself) I guess people take it more seriously now. But what about ultras, isn't that a thing to pace a friend for parts of the course? And I'd be real interested to find out in this case, who was the snitch? My guess, someone who ran 3:31 and didn't qualify that day.

Nevertheless, she's an experienced runner with nearly 10 years of running and racing. And she's now a group leader/coach with their rather large commercial operation there at Rogue. She should have known. Particularly in this day of Instagram and instant photos.

Until I got on strava, I would have thought 4-5% high.
But when you have people that you have bikes with that the entire group has to help up a hill show up on on strava as QOM...you know something’s amiss.

That said, when I uploaded my rides.   I looked at a few of my rides and I was like “hmm..I don’t think I rode the IM course that day...was I even in Madison last year”
Comes to find out my NEW computer wasn’t so new😡

Offline ctjim

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 11:00:57 AM »

That said, when I uploaded my rides.   I looked at a few of my rides and I was like “hmm..I don’t think I rode the IM course that day...was I even in Madison last year”
Comes to find out my NEW computer wasn’t so new😡

Hah !

+-SUPPORT US