Author Topic: Easy meal ideas? Freezer meals? Crockpot meals?  (Read 33905 times)

LilyLily

Re: Easy meal ideas? Freezer meals? Crockpot meals?
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2013, 04:45:22 PM »
:D :)  Went to Costco and then to the Martins right across the street.  I think I like Kroger better.  Or even the Martins near Stein Mart seems better than the one near Costco.

We are having pot roast tomorrow.  With lots of veggies.  Don't know if I'll do it in the slow-cooker or the Dutch oven.
And I bought stuff to make French onion soup.  But I am going to make DH slice the onions because it absolutely KILLS my eyes when I do it.
I really need to get a pair of those onion goggles.

That's hilarious.  I went to Costco instead today as well.  I'm going to hit Kroger tomorrow.  I'm making Beef and Barley soup to eat on during the week.  Tomorrow night will be steak and whatever I see that looks good in kroger.

Offline Honey Badger

• The Runners
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2013, 09:49:52 AM »
That's hilarious.  I went to Costco instead today as well.  I'm going to hit Kroger tomorrow.  I'm making Beef and Barley soup to eat on during the week.  Tomorrow night will be steak and whatever I see that looks good in kroger.
While I love Costco, I find it to be a $$ suck.  I always buy stuff I don't need and what I do buy often requires part of it be stored because it's just too damned big to fit where I need it to.  Example: I bought gallon Zip-Loc bags because we needed them.  I usually store my bags and wraps, etc. in a drawer in the kitchen.  Well, no way is this big honking box going to fit in there. It's the size of a small suitcase!

And because you can't get everything on your list it always means another trip to a regular grocery store.

Offline Gomie

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2013, 01:55:03 PM »
:D :)  Went to Costco and then to the Martins right across the street.  I think I like Kroger better.  Or even the Martins near Stein Mart seems better than the one near Costco.

We are having pot roast tomorrow.  With lots of veggies.  Don't know if I'll do it in the slow-cooker or the Dutch oven.
And I bought stuff to make French onion soup.  But I am going to make DH slice the onions because it absolutely KILLS my eyes when I do it.
I really need to get a pair of those onion goggles.

Put a candle or two around you when you slice the onions.
“A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.”
—Father James Keller

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2013, 08:36:07 PM »
While I love Costco, I find it to be a $$ suck.  I always buy stuff I don't need and what I do buy often requires part of it be stored because it's just too damned big to fit where I need it to.  Example: I bought gallon Zip-Loc bags because we needed them.  I usually store my bags and wraps, etc. in a drawer in the kitchen.  Well, no way is this big honking box going to fit in there. It's the size of a small suitcase!

And because you can't get everything on your list it always means another trip to a regular grocery store.

I've kind of gone back and forth on whether or not to get a Costco membership, since there's only two of us.  We have a decent amount of storage space, but not a ton.  The other issue is that the nearest Costco is an hour away (at least).  I do like the meat and especially the salmon from Costco, so for now I just go with my mom or borrow my sister's card when I need to stock up.  I don't think that most things really cost less there, though.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2013, 05:18:48 AM »
I've kind of gone back and forth on whether or not to get a Costco membership, since there's only two of us.  We have a decent amount of storage space, but not a ton.  The other issue is that the nearest Costco is an hour away (at least).  I do like the meat and especially the salmon from Costco, so for now I just go with my mom or borrow my sister's card when I need to stock up.  I don't think that most things really cost less there, though.

I am in the same boat.  I find that costco is not any cheaper than other stores either.  Anyway, for the few things that are significantly cheaper, I get a one day pass and pay the extra 15%.  If the item is significantly cheaper, it's still a good deal, and better than the annual membership (for me, at least).  I just don't get carried away buying anything extra.

Offline Honey Badger

• The Runners
« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2013, 05:41:34 PM »
Huh, before I became a member they told me they don't offer one day passes.
Their meat prices are cheaper than my local supermarkets with the exception of Tom Leonards who has good prices and quality.
I find Costco to be cheaper IF it's something you can use the quantity of.  For example price per pound or unit is cheaper, but if you toss half of it out then there goes any savings.
And I do get carried away there at times.

Yes on the salmon!  They also sell Ahi tuna which I roll in sesame seeds and sear on all sides.  Yummy!

ETA:  I made the chicken taco bean soup again today.  I love that it's so easy!

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2013, 08:04:34 PM »
I made applesauce in the crockpot today. My first time using the thing.  Best applesauce I ever had. I am allergic to raw apples so this was a treat.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2013, 07:08:12 AM »
I made applesauce in the crockpot today. My first time using the thing.  Best applesauce I ever had. I am allergic to raw apples so this was a treat.
it tastes just as good in the microwave.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2013, 08:41:10 AM »
it tastes just as good in the microwave.

What does this mean?

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2013, 03:06:42 PM »
What does this mean?

you can make apple sauce in the microwave. it's faster but just as good.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2013, 02:47:47 PM »
I made a pork roast and veggies in mine yesterday and it was awesome. It was already marinated in lemon and garlic so I added more lemon, garlic, pepper, and lemon pepper. It was so good!

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2013, 02:44:24 PM »
I am making lentil soup in the crockpot today.  I really, really hope it comes out good.  Because it took me all of 15 minutes to cut up & rinse what was needed for the ingredients. 

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2013, 03:45:36 PM »
I am making lentil soup in the crockpot today.  I really, really hope it comes out good.  Because it took me all of 15 minutes to cut up & rinse what was needed for the ingredients. 

I've never made lentils in the crockpot because it only takes me about 30 or 40 minutes on the stove. Let us know how it turns out.
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2013, 04:57:24 PM »
I've never made lentils in the crockpot because it only takes me about 30 or 40 minutes on the stove. Let us know how it turns out.

It came out really good.  It was a soup that cooked all day and I didn't have to deal with it.  I put it on when I was working from home and had it for dinner.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2013, 08:16:16 PM »
I made black beans soup in the crockpot yesterday.  No effort whatsoever.

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2013, 08:40:29 AM »
I tried the crockpot last winter and the only thing I liked it for was a 13 bean soup, but I did it when I was home. Chicken recipes made the chicken into mush. I do use the insert to soak beans in the fridge though cause it's porcelain and doesn't take up as much room as the bowls I have :D

Anyway, I guess this recipe could be adapted to cook in a crockpot but I made it on the stove. My brother gave me a package of smoked paprika and was looking for something to use it in. I don't measure so this stuff is approximate but it came out awesome! You could use fresh pumpkin or butternut squash in place of the canned, I had canned I was trying to use up. I just look up recipes then wing it with my own ideas.

Black Bean and Pumpkin Soup with Smoked Paprika

! large onion chopped
2 large stalks celery chopped
1 cup of mixed sweet peppers chopped
1 or 2 hot peppers chopped (whatever you like, I used one jalapeno and one long green chili or leave it out if you don't like hot)
1 or 2 carrots diced
Chopped fresh garlic cloves to taste, I used 6 large
1 or 2 tbsps Olive Oil
1 tbsp each of cumin and smoked paprika and oregano
1-3 tsp of chili powder (I used ancho)
4 cups water, chicken broth or vegetable broth (I used low salt vegetable)
1 can pumpkin puree
1 or 2 Bay Leaves
1.5 cups of Bobs Red Mill Bountiful Black Bean Soup mix (no seasonings, black beans, black-eyed peas, navy beans and pearled barley)
Garnishes- use all or any combo-chopped cilantro, lime slices, avocado, Mexican shredded cheese or cheddar, chopped Chorizo or Andouille Sausages, chopped ham etc.

Saute first six ingredients in the olive oil till getting soft, do not burn. Once soft add the spices and saute for a minute or so. Add the liquid and pumpkin and then the beans.
Bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer and cook till beans are soft. Taste and adjust seasonings, salt, black pepper and more or spices if needed. Package said 1.5 hours but it took mine more like 4 hence the idea that a crockpot would work.

You could also presoak the beans overnight then discard the water but the package doesn't state you need to. It would cut cooking time though.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 08:56:37 AM by hally »
“A good coat is like a good lawyer. it covers your ass.”_Jack Reacher, Without Fail

"There is no bad weather, only bad clothing choices"_hally

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #76 on: February 07, 2013, 09:17:10 AM »
Oh! This morning I put potatoes in it.  Yes, potatoes.  I washed eight potatoes, pricked them with a fork, sprayed the pot with olive oil (hello, Misto, I love you), sprayed the potatoes with same and crunched up some big salt on them.  Put them on low for 10 hours so they'll be done when I get home with the kids.  I'll throw some veggie burgers in a pan to go with them.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #77 on: February 07, 2013, 11:16:49 AM »

Oh! This morning I put potatoes in it.  Yes, potatoes.  I washed eight potatoes, pricked them with a fork, sprayed the pot with olive oil (hello, Misto, I love you), sprayed the potatoes with same and crunched up some big salt on them.  Put them on low for 10 hours so they'll be done when I get home with the kids.  I'll throw some veggie burgers in a pan to go with them.

you can put them in foil, too, in there.

Offline Courtney

• The Runners
« Reply #78 on: February 07, 2013, 12:15:48 PM »
I made BBQ chicken and baked potatoes (wrapped in foil) the other day in the crockpot.  It came out really good. 

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2013, 12:18:26 PM »
you can put them in foil, too, in there.

I know! I ran out of foil!  I hope they come out ok. 

+-SUPPORT US