Author Topic: Pizza  (Read 1034 times)

Offline picote

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
Pizza
« on: December 31, 2022, 11:37:57 AM »
I remember geekmaster had a tried and true pizza method that I need to search out. Anyone else have great crust/sauce recipes/methods? Favorite topping combinations?

DH got me a pizza oven for Xmas. We tried it out last night with a neopolitan style crust and it was amazing. They cooked in under a minute, which means we can all pick our own pizza toppings!

Offline seattlegirl

• The Runners
Re: Pizza
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2022, 03:18:11 PM »
Sounds fun!

For toppings, I like pepperoni, onion, and green olives. Super savory.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2023, 09:49:50 AM »
We have an ooni pizza oven. You have to move FAST working with it. I find it's better with two cooks.

Offline picote

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2023, 10:37:42 AM »
We have an ooni pizza oven. You have to move FAST working with it. I find it's better with two cooks.

That’s the one he got! I couldn’t believe how fast they cook, but our first pizzas came out amazing.

Eta, have you used it for anything besides pizza? Thinking I might try steaks at some point.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 11:34:21 AM by picote »

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2023, 12:09:23 PM »
I have plans to use it to make fresh bread while camping. We got the travel bag so we can bring it tailgating and other places.

Which one did you get? We got the wood pellet fueled one.

Offline picote

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2023, 12:20:06 PM »
DH got the gas 16”. I like the idea of wood/pellets, but I think gas means we’ll use it more. There’s an aftermarket turntable that I’m looking at as a potential add on.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2023, 01:01:53 PM »
I like the pellets because we already have a pellet stove so we always have fuel on hand. It's a bit fiddly though.

We got a laser thermometer and that's been a big help (plus, it's cool). And having the right peel is super key in my experience.

Offline picote

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2023, 01:25:32 PM »
Ha! The laser thermometer was the first thing I ordered. It’s very cool and I’m using it on everything :D

I’ve made a fair amount of pizza on the grill/on an oven stone, so we have good peels and a metal pan that was key for turning. I thought we would be able to just pull and turn with tongs, so was glad we had that on hand.

I need to start experimenting with dough though. Our first try was really good, but the crust wasn’t very flavorful.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2023, 07:47:18 AM »
There was an entire issue of food and wine devoted to pizza crust. We have used that recipe for some time now and it is really good. I will dig it out (unless you have a food and wine subscription?).

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2023, 08:46:42 AM »
There was an entire issue of food and wine devoted to pizza crust. We have used that recipe for some time now and it is really good. I will dig it out (unless you have a food and wine subscription?).

This one?

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/artisan-pizza-dough

Offline picote

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2023, 12:37:31 PM »

Oh, thank you! I don’t subscribe anymore, but will do some digging. Radial, thanks for the link.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2023, 03:56:52 PM »
that's the one - here's the whole shebang

https://www.foodandwine.com/cooking-techniques/pizza-guide

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2023, 05:27:50 PM »
I haven’t been able to consistently make good pizza. My two cooking options are my tiny oven or the grill. Grill turns out better but I have trouble getting the dough on it without deforming, and then not burning it.

Offline picote

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2023, 10:30:20 PM »
Getting the dough on is all about the dough and products, imo. A wooden pizza peel, sprinkled with cornmeal or semolina flour, and the dough slides off. The key to not burning is the right type of dough for the temperature. We had been using a pizza stone on the grill. NY style crust with lots of cheese and pepperoni uses a lower temp on the stone. We’ve been buying from a local place that does a make your own pizza kit and they told us 600 degrees. I haven’t put the gun on our stone to check the temp, but my guess is it’s lower. Our pizza oven gets to 800. We’ve been using a simple neopolitan style dough in it and getting good results.

+-SUPPORT US