Author Topic: Instant pot?  (Read 221302 times)

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
Re: Instant pot?
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2016, 07:49:53 PM »
I steamed some salmon in the IP.  It was excellent!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2016, 07:55:20 PM »
DH and I each ate a sweet potato, they were fine. I made DD regular potatoes next in the IP and in fear of over cooking them, I had to check it three times before it was ready  :eyeroll: I am so impatient :p But perfect potatoes in 12 minutes??? pretty awesome. We do not have a microwave so making things like potatoes fast is generally not a possibility.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2016, 08:08:11 PM »
I made Colorado beans, soaked overnight and cooked for 20 minutes. They were too mushy in my bean salad. Ah well. Better overlooked than undercooked.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2016, 10:43:26 AM »
What are Colorado beans? In my regular pressure cooker i usually undercook, then turn it back on to high pressure for a couple minutes at a time to get the beans cooked just right. Stirring them helps too, because i have found they can cook unevenly in a large batch.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2016, 11:02:07 AM »
You guys are making me less and less jealous! I don't have time to experiment! I think I'd be immediately frusterated by this thing!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2016, 06:20:33 PM »
You guys are making me less and less jealous! I don't have time to experiment! I think I'd be immediately frusterated by this thing!
I do not either, but the sweet potatoes were 14 minutes? maybe 12? I just tossed them in with 1 cup of water and pressed the button :D

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2016, 06:33:18 PM »
I do not either, but the sweet potatoes were 14 minutes? maybe 12? I just tossed them in with 1 cup of water and pressed the button :D

Yeah, really.  This is the device for people who want to be less involved in the cooking process, not moreso. 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2016, 08:27:11 PM »
Yeah, really.  This is the device for people who want to be less involved in the cooking process, not moreso.
My pressure cooker (stove top) i have to baby sit, this is nice to not have to babysit!

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2016, 08:08:01 AM »
My pressure cooker (stove top) i have to baby sit, this is nice to not have to babysit!

I always wondered why you raved so much about that pressure cooker.  My mom had a stove top one, and I was never inclined to get such a thing.  The IP is just so convenient.
Has anyone boiled eggs in the IP?

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2016, 08:49:04 AM »
I always wondered why you raved so much about that pressure cooker.  My mom had a stove top one, and I was never inclined to get such a thing.  The IP is just so convenient.
Has anyone boiled eggs in the IP?
I rave about it because I can cook dried beans in 20 minutes :D Lentil soup that tastes like it cooked all day in 10 minutes.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2016, 03:58:15 PM »
I made some kind of lentil recipe from the booklet that came with the IP.  It was one of the worst things I ever made.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2016, 08:45:36 PM »
I made some kind of lentil recipe from the booklet that came with the IP.  It was one of the worst things I ever made.

this is my go to pressure cooker lentil soup recipe
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2009/05/ridiculously-easy-lentil-soup.html

Family favorite.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2016, 07:08:49 AM »
this is my go to pressure cooker lentil soup recipe
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2009/05/ridiculously-easy-lentil-soup.html

Family favorite.

Thanks!  will do this when it gets cooler. Looks good.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2016, 08:25:16 AM »
Thanks!  will do this when it gets cooler. Looks good.
it is, probably made it at least 50 times.

Offline Honey Badger

• The Runners
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2016, 01:32:31 PM »
I made black bean soup (using unsoaked dried beans) last week in something like 14 minutes and it was good! I used chicken broth instead of water. The next time I'll cut back on the amount of liquid a bit as it didn't need 6 cups.

I'm looking for something to cook today or tomorrow that will provide good leftovers for a couple days. Suggestions welcome! I'm an omnivore.

I'm not into appliances that are overly complex and I wondered about the Instant Pot, but after using it a couple times, it really could not be any simpler. They only variance to time, IMO, is personal preference. 
Like Meri's sweet potatoes; I think "overcooking" them a bit makes no difference at all.  I'm sure they're just as good.

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2016, 03:43:53 PM »
I'm doing another batch of chicken thighs.  Soy sauce, crushed garlic cloves, fresh ginger, coarsely ground peppercorns.  I just threw the ingredients in the pot and put the whole mess in the fridge to marinate.  I'll take it out later when I'm hungry and fire up the IP for 15 minutes at high pressure.  Whole thing including prep, 20 minutes. 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2016, 05:42:43 PM »
HB try the lentil soup recipe I posted. We also like to add sautéed diced mushrooms or peas after it is cooked. I am trying a "Sassy Sesame Tofu" recipe right now. Waiting for it to come to pressure.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2016, 06:05:39 PM »
The recipe is not bad, a bit mushy for my tastes (this is prob why i usually only cook soups in my pressure cooker) but not bad.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2016, 04:01:38 PM »
I did chickpeas and cooked them shorter than the manual said and quick released it instead of the natural release method recommended and they were perfect, so not sure why the directions were otherwise? Making the curry cauliflower chickpea soup again!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2016, 05:11:22 PM »
OMG. So the first time i quick released the pressure in the IP i burned my hand. None of the stove top pressure cookers I have ever used had steam shoot UP right where your hand is to release it. So, I post on the vegan IP FB group how do people release it safely, use a spoon, etc? And people were basically calling me a moron and idiot and had no idea how i could ever possibly burn myself and do it wrong  :o Um ok. As a right handed person, I think it is odd that the switch is on the left, because it is second nature to reach with your right hand. After the first time I have been using a spoon, but OMG the comments. They were CRUEL, wtf is wrong with people? I deleted my post because seriously? WTF?

+-SUPPORT US