Author Topic: "Newfie" Homestyle Cooking and Baking  (Read 60688 times)

Offline bookworm1

• NTTAWWT
Re: "Newfie" Homestyle Cooking and Baking
« Reply #200 on: September 26, 2019, 06:44:00 PM »
What is that British steak sauce? I imagine ketchup plus gravy tastes like that.

HP sauce? It is more like a malt vinigary and less sweet version of Hienz 57 sauce.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #201 on: September 26, 2019, 07:56:17 PM »
ketchup + gravy = kravy?  sounds like a marketing win

(gretchup does not have the same ring)
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #202 on: September 27, 2019, 07:52:03 AM »
(gretchup does not have the same ring)

:roll:

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #203 on: September 27, 2019, 08:11:40 AM »
Recent items of note:

Tracy is looking for advice on bottling leftover turkey soup to preserve it for later use. A couple of people have told her to get a pressure canner, a few more said "just freeze it, maid" because that is easier and I think we are operating from the assumption that everyone vaguely connected to Newfoundland surely has a deep freezer for this kind of thing. Darlene, however, said just bottle like you would beets or rabbit, no one has ever died from bottled food.  :yikes:

People have started talking about Christmas cookies already.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #204 on: September 27, 2019, 11:20:06 AM »
Tracy is looking for advice on bottling leftover turkey soup to preserve it for later use. A couple of people have told her to get a pressure canner, a few more said "just freeze it, maid" because that is easier and I think we are operating from the assumption that everyone vaguely connected to Newfoundland surely has a deep freezer for this kind of thing. Darlene, however, said just bottle like you would beets or rabbit, no one has ever died from bottled food.  :yikes:

There are so many things I love about this-- like the presumption that when "bottle it like you would rabbit" is just something everyone knows how to do. And, OMG! to the "no one has ever died from bottled food" especially meat.

A guy here almost killed himself by winging his canned elk a few years ago. https://www.nwnewsnetwork.org/post/home-canning-hobby-leads-near-fatal-medical-mystery

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #205 on: September 27, 2019, 11:53:22 AM »
There are so many things I love about this-- like the presumption that when "bottle it like you would rabbit" is just something everyone knows how to do. And, OMG! to the "no one has ever died from bottled food" especially meat.

A guy here almost killed himself by winging his canned elk a few years ago. https://www.nwnewsnetwork.org/post/home-canning-hobby-leads-near-fatal-medical-mystery

Luckily, Darlene was quickly showered with articles about botulism. The elk thing though, really interesting. I always presumed botulism was a quick death... but lucky for him, not always. What is more interesting to me is that he's obviously a fairly well-educated man, and not new to hunting either. It's easy to assume people generally know things like how important it is to be careful about canning, especially stuff that isn't acidic, because BOTULISM.

FWIW, the traditional way to bottle rabbit, moose, seal, duck, etc.  is typically: prepare the meat by removing all traces of skin and as much fat as possible, cut into cubes or strips, place a piece of salt fat (cured pork back fat) on the bottom of a sterilized jar, pack meat in as tightly as possible, add a tsp of salt, use a second piece of salt fat on top to tuck all the meat in below the neck of the jar... screw lids on finger-tight... immerse in a water bath at a low boil for 4-6 hours.  In recent years, people have started using pressure canners but most of the old folks are pretty dismissive, pointing out they made it to whatever age they are on pot-boiled bottled meat.

The turkey soup discussion is currently a "well worth the $130 for a pressure canner to have piece of mind" vs. "that's the same as all the company store bullshit you young people aren't supposed to have to deal with anymore" and "might as well just make new soup than spend $130 to bottle leftovers".

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #206 on: September 27, 2019, 12:03:22 PM »
re: elk; exactly! Although, I would say that lawyers are often the kind of people who are brilliant in a certain area but complete dimwits in other areas.

How much turkey soup did she make? I mean-- making soup is not a difficult process and it warms up an otherwise dreary winter kitchen. I agree with the people who say just freeze it!

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #207 on: October 03, 2019, 02:00:46 PM »
Bill posted, "This is the end result of my wife’s homemade Cream of pea and vegetable soup with dumplings and it is delicious."

I don't understand anything that is going on in that pot. I mean, I can see the ingredients, but I don't understand the concept.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 02:10:17 PM by caribougrrl »

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #208 on: October 03, 2019, 02:06:54 PM »
Why are there little tomatoes floating on top?

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #209 on: October 03, 2019, 02:08:59 PM »
and speaking of soup, this meal of Joanne's is very typical here, and it confuses me, but it's possible I am the odd one here:

I don't understand rice AND potatoes in the same soup. I also don't understand serving bread with a meal that already has rice, potatoes, or pasta in it. Not for any specific diet reason, or any particular aversion to carbs, just, well, it feels like too many starches.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #210 on: October 03, 2019, 02:09:49 PM »
Why are there little tomatoes floating on top?

I don't know. Why is the celery chopped so large?

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #211 on: October 03, 2019, 02:10:54 PM »
why is the celery overcooked and the cauliflower looks raw? why are the dumplings sinking?

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #212 on: October 03, 2019, 04:15:40 PM »
Bill posted, "This is the end result of my wife’s homemade Cream of pea and vegetable soup with dumplings and it is delicious."

I don't understand anything that is going on in that pot. I mean, I can see the ingredients, but I don't understand the concept.

Let's deconstruct this.

1) Peas (an abomination of nature)
2) Large cauliflower florets and chunks of celery
3) Cream...and sinker dumplings
4) And all topped with raw tomatoes and carrots

Dinner is served!

Also - Joanne's bread may be the whitest of white bread I have ever seen.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #213 on: October 03, 2019, 04:27:04 PM »
The tomatoes and raw carrots confuse me too.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #214 on: October 03, 2019, 07:45:27 PM »
I think Bill is a gentleman and a liar. 

Offline ihop

« Reply #215 on: October 04, 2019, 11:42:24 AM »
And do I also see broccoli in there?

I wonder how hold Joanne is.  It was pretty standard for older generations to have bread with lunch and/or dinner. 
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #216 on: October 04, 2019, 12:02:59 PM »
And do I also see broccoli in there?

I wonder how hold Joanne is.  It was pretty standard for older generations to have bread with lunch and/or dinner. 

I think it's the bread AND rice AND potato that overwhelms me. But I was just downstairs in our cafeteria and the soup of the day is chicken and rice (also contains potatoes) served with a dinner roll... so maybe it is just the way things are. I suspect if the soup had potato and not rice, I wouldn't think twice about the bread... if it had rice and not potato, I would still think the bread was odd.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #217 on: October 04, 2019, 12:07:56 PM »
So, I don't think bread w/ pasta or bread w/ soup is weird. Especially if it is a broth based soup. But I do think that rice & potato is weird together.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #218 on: October 04, 2019, 04:36:32 PM »
i think it's that they're in soup together.  i'd absolutely eat aloo matar with rice and naan.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #219 on: October 04, 2019, 04:54:57 PM »
i think it's that they're in soup together.  i'd absolutely eat aloo matar with rice and naan.

Ok, yes. Good point.  I think Massaman Curry also is frequently made with potatoes and I'd eat that with rice all day long too.

+-SUPPORT US