Author Topic: Perpetual Soup Thread  (Read 65251 times)

Offline DocBuzzkill

• Help me, I'm melting....
Re: Perpetual Soup Thread
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2016, 08:46:58 AM »
Homemade, hand cut noodles are soooo good in chicken soup. Served with a thick slice of bread hot from the oven, that's hands down my top comfort food.

Back to the General topic at hand, I just made this soup: http://www.honestandtruly.com/instant-pot-tomato-soup-recipe/

I added two finely chopped carrots in with the onions so I skipped the sugar, and used a can of vegetable broth instead of the three cups of chicken broth. I left out the vinegar so that when I eat it I can choose to add either a splash of it or else a few Tb of half and half.

I love tomato soup, and that recipe looks great, nadra.  Your substitutions are to my taste, too.

I must confess that I am this >< close to buying an IP.   :sneaking:

#notallprogressives

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
Perpetual Soup Thread
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2016, 11:29:21 AM »
I am making the chicken soup recipe from the NYT today and I'm wavering on what to roast/whether to roast chicken and/or vegetables before starting the soup

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2016, 02:37:04 PM »
I am making the chicken soup recipe from the NYT today and I'm wavering on what to roast/whether to roast chicken and/or vegetables before starting the soup

I'd try it as written first, then experiment!

#notallprogressives

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2016, 06:52:14 PM »
We had this tonight -- it was really good! I think I'd go a teeny bit lighter on the sherry next time, and I might add some sage.

http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/320-butternut-squash-soup

Butternut Squash Soup

Ingredients

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    1 ½ cups finely chopped onion
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    4 ½ cups peeled butternut squash in 2-inch cubes (about 2 squashes)
    4 ½ cups water
    1 cup well-flavored chicken or vegetable stock
    ½ cup medium-dry sherry
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Preparation

Heat the oil in a heavy four-quart saucepan. Add the onions, reduce heat to low, and saute slowly until they are tender but not brown. Stir in the garlic.
    Add the squash and water, cover and simmer until the squash is tender, about 40 minutes. Allow the mixture to cool for about 15 minutes, then puree in two batches in a food processor. Up to this point the soup can be prepared in advance, even refrigerated or frozen.
    Return the puree to the saucepan and add the stock and the sherry. Reheat and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese on each portion.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2016, 11:34:38 PM »
CRB's comment on tomato sauce made me realize this recipe should go here. Love it as pasta sauce, soup,  and pizza sauce.  http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/bucatini-with-butter-roasted-tomato-sauce-51198650

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2016, 08:04:07 AM »
Homemade, hand cut noodles are soooo good in chicken soup. Served with a thick slice of bread hot from the oven, that's hands down my top comfort food.

Back to the General topic at hand, I just made this soup: http://www.honestandtruly.com/instant-pot-tomato-soup-recipe/

I added two finely chopped carrots in with the onions so I skipped the sugar, and used a can of vegetable broth instead of the three cups of chicken broth. I left out the vinegar so that when I eat it I can choose to add either a splash of it or else a few Tb of half and half.
Do carrots help fight the acidity of the tomatoes, the way sugar does?

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2016, 08:47:42 AM »
CRB's comment on tomato sauce made me realize this recipe should go here. Love it as pasta sauce, soup,  and pizza sauce.  http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/bucatini-with-butter-roasted-tomato-sauce-51198650

That looks great and easy, too!  I just uploaded a pdf of the recipe to my Google Drive recipes folder.  Thanks!

#notallprogressives

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2016, 10:36:17 AM »
I'd try it as written first, then experiment!

I did as written yesterday, broth is in the fridge!  Will finish tonight.  I am very excited about this.  I am going to try to find a GF matzo ball recipe because I have a million different GF flours (almond, coconut, etc.) and no matzo meal or matzo :D

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2016, 02:18:53 PM »
I did as written yesterday, broth is in the fridge!  Will finish tonight.  I am very excited about this.  I am going to try to find a GF matzo ball recipe because I have a million different GF flours (almond, coconut, etc.) and no matzo meal or matzo :D

:nails:  I hope you like it!

#notallprogressives

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2016, 06:09:30 PM »
Do carrots help fight the acidity of the tomatoes, the way sugar does?

Yup, my soup is lovely and not too acidic.

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2016, 08:49:53 PM »
The kitchn recommended to add baking soda to reduce the acidity and so I tried it once and it turned my sauce into a limping bland liquid that only slightly reminded me of tomatoes by virtue of being red.  Don't ever be tempted. 
Because PANTS

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #71 on: December 12, 2016, 09:32:53 PM »
I'm so sad for your soup  :'(  :d
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2016, 05:49:26 PM »

Oh man, this looks amazing. Do you drain the tomatoes first or toss it with the juice?

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2016, 07:52:51 PM »
I made a lentil soup in the IP today. Big onion, celery, garlic, carrots, sauteed in oil, added smoked paprika, cumin and some hot berbere stuff I have. Then I mashed up 3 italian turkey sausages in the pan, added 6 cups water, half pound lentils,half can tomato paste and a small can of pumpkin. 10 mins needed more so cooked 2 more for a total 12 mins. Very tasty.
“A good coat is like a good lawyer. it covers your ass.”_Jack Reacher, Without Fail

"There is no bad weather, only bad clothing choices"_hally

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2016, 10:07:50 PM »
Sounds good Hally!

Oh man, this looks amazing. Do you drain the tomatoes first or toss it with the juice?

Nope, everything goes in together and cooks down together into amazingness.  :preen: It calls for whole tomatoes but if you used crushed ones you don't even really need to stick it in the blender if you're ok with chunky tomato soup. It's hands down my favorite cooked tomato sauce/soup recipe.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #75 on: December 15, 2016, 08:13:27 PM »
I must confess that I am this >< close to buying an IP.   :sneaking:

:D

I am anti-food/diet/appliance fad (I'm looking at YOU Vitamix), but I am enjoying my IP so far. Looking forward to expanding beyond basic soups and stews. My only complaint is that I can't see what is going on inside of it.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #76 on: December 15, 2016, 10:01:33 PM »
Yep,  I feel the same way Amy

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #77 on: December 18, 2016, 01:34:46 PM »
:D

I am anti-food/diet/appliance fad (I'm looking at YOU Vitamix), but I am enjoying my IP so far. Looking forward to expanding beyond basic soups and stews. My only complaint is that I can't see what is going on inside of it.

Tamil!BFF bought a tempered glass, steel-rimmed lid for her Instant Pot.  She's really gung-ho on the IP and has been using it to make all sorts of South Indian cuisine.  My reluctance stems from having to find a place to store the darned thing.

#notallprogressives

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2016, 07:04:25 PM »
Tamil!BFF bought a tempered glass, steel-rimmed lid for her Instant Pot.  She's really gung-ho on the IP and has been using it to make all sorts of South Indian cuisine.  My reluctance stems from having to find a place to store the darned thing.

Yes, it's a bit on the cumbersome side. I put a metal rack in my tiny kitchen where I store my small appliances.

I would not be adverse to you sharing some of your friend's recipes. :)

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #79 on: December 18, 2016, 07:13:34 PM »
I use mine often enough that it lives on my counter.  Thats saying something!

+-SUPPORT US