Author Topic: "Newfie" Homestyle Cooking and Baking  (Read 60234 times)

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
Re: "Newfie" Homestyle Cooking and Baking
« Reply #160 on: September 19, 2019, 01:14:21 PM »
we loves our bologna out here...

Karen made "good old bologna stew!"

Susan did some up with bbq sauce and onions

Christine did hers thick-cut and fried, with scalloped potatoes and yellow wax beans.

Beverley "Cooked this for the first time today in over 30 years. Bologna and gravy with potatoes and green peas. And it didn't disappoint either. Anyone else eat this meal?"

and, I know, bologna is popular everywhere... but for added context:

Newfoundland has a local cookbook dedicated to preparing bologna

and the Maple Leaf foods bologna stick is a consistent hit at the St. John's Santa Claus Parade year after year

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #161 on: September 19, 2019, 01:26:22 PM »
Is there any discernible difference between cooked bologna and hot dogs?

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #162 on: September 19, 2019, 01:55:57 PM »
I've always wanted a Two Whales Coffee Cookbook and now I want The Bologna Cookbook as well.  Too bad I'm on a book buying hiatus while we work on selling our house.  :'(
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #163 on: September 19, 2019, 02:09:55 PM »
Wait, bologna is popular everywhere? I'm not sure that's true!

BA-- when I was in kindergarten I wanted SO BADLY to have a boloney sandwhich on white bread with american cheese slices. My parents made it for me one time and I found out boloney is really just a flat hotdog? I was sooooooo sad!

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #164 on: September 19, 2019, 02:20:16 PM »

maybe popular is the wrong word... but I think it's a pretty pervasive/common item across north America, is it not? I mean, bologna sandwiches are kind of a north american classic, right?

my french-canadian father with family on both sides of the windsor-detroit border grew up eating roast bologna (so, we were subject to that ourselves as kids, despite the otherwise seed-to-table driven upbringing I had).

in my recollection, the texture is pretty different

Offline ihop

« Reply #165 on: September 19, 2019, 03:59:41 PM »
I remember eating bologna sandwiches as a kid and I know there is a regional "fried bologna" - maybe PA? - but having lived in several places on the east coast, DD and none of her friends have ever said anything about eating bologna in any fashion.

Now, I am craving a bologna sandwich on white bread with yellow mustard.  It was what the cool kids ate.  Mine was always on some sort of homemade wheat bread made by my dad.   :D
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #166 on: September 19, 2019, 05:11:51 PM »

Yes.  Fried thick cut bologna is the bomb.  (Traditionally with mayo, but I like it with mustard and cheddar - basically fry the bologna and then do a fried bologna and grilled cheese sandwich.  Sooooo good.)
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #167 on: September 19, 2019, 05:35:12 PM »
maybe popular is the wrong word... but I think it's a pretty pervasive/common item across north America, is it not? I mean, bologna sandwiches are kind of a north american classic, right?

Yes. Although, I can't remember the last time (other than this thread) I have heard anyone mention bologna. Except maybe as a nostalgia type of comment.

But, I agree. I'd put it up there with american chop suey/goulash/chili-mac, spam, etc.

On the other hand-- I am not sure how common eating bologna in the context above is. It seems like it's subbing in for ham in almost every occasion above.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #168 on: September 19, 2019, 05:50:43 PM »
If I had to choose one, I would go for the stew and not eat the bologna.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #169 on: September 19, 2019, 08:40:54 PM »

BA-- when I was in kindergarten I wanted SO BADLY to have a boloney sandwhich on white bread with american cheese slices. My parents made it for me one time and I found out boloney is really just a flat hotdog? I was sooooooo sad!

Bologna on white bread slathered with mayo and just enough iceberg lettuce to add some crunch.  Soul food. 

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #170 on: September 20, 2019, 01:22:09 PM »
Yes. Although, I can't remember the last time (other than this thread) I have heard anyone mention bologna. Except maybe as a nostalgia type of comment.

But, I agree. I'd put it up there with american chop suey/goulash/chili-mac, spam, etc.

On the other hand-- I am not sure how common eating bologna in the context above is. It seems like it's subbing in for ham in almost every occasion above.

I ate a fried bologna and egg sandwich after my race Saturday.  :)  I don't eat it regularly, but I do it eat it.  But definitely not in a casserole.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #171 on: September 20, 2019, 03:33:25 PM »
Man. I haven't had bologna since I was a kid. Age 10 or 11 maybe? It was around when I was growing up, but mortadella and capicola were far more likely to be found in our refrigerator.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #172 on: September 20, 2019, 05:45:42 PM »
I can’t remember my mom ever making us bologna sandwiches. Maybe my grandmother might have?

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #173 on: September 20, 2019, 05:52:40 PM »
I didn't mind bologna as a kid but man did I hate pimento loaf.  Disgusting.  My middle sister would ask for it for lunch when she'd want to get even with me.  And I'd ask for cream cheese and jelly (her dislike).  :stretch:
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #174 on: September 20, 2019, 08:09:11 PM »
Man. I haven't had bologna since I was a kid. Age 10 or 11 maybe? It was around when I was growing up, but mortadella and capicola were far more likely to be found in our refrigerator.

mortadella is not SO dissimilar...

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #175 on: September 20, 2019, 08:11:14 PM »
I didn't mind bologna as a kid but man did I hate pimento loaf.  Disgusting.  My middle sister would ask for it for lunch when she'd want to get even with me.  And I'd ask for cream cheese and jelly (her dislike).  :stretch:

did you ever have macaroni and cheese loaf? my grandmother seemed to always have that  :-X

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #176 on: September 20, 2019, 08:28:00 PM »

Oh no, I had buried the foul memory of pimento loaf!  Now it's staggering around my brain like a speckled zombie  :panic:.  Fortunately, none of my sibs liked it either, so it made only the occasional appearance in our lunches.  Just often enough to remind us how good we had it most of the time. 

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #177 on: September 20, 2019, 08:41:03 PM »
i would just like to inform all of you ladies that it IS bologna sandwich weather.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #178 on: September 21, 2019, 08:13:44 AM »
macaroni and cheese loaf??? 

Offline ihop

« Reply #179 on: September 21, 2019, 08:55:16 AM »
What is macaroni and cheese loaf?

And I haven’t thought about pimiento loaf in years. I vaguely remember liking it - I assume it was the salt factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

+-SUPPORT US