Author Topic: "Newfie" Homestyle Cooking and Baking  (Read 60252 times)

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
Re: "Newfie" Homestyle Cooking and Baking
« Reply #100 on: August 26, 2019, 01:54:35 PM »
I am really wondering what the response would be if you posted one of your "actually edible" recipes.

Offline ihop

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #101 on: August 27, 2019, 08:37:30 AM »
I am really wondering what the response would be if you posted one of your "actually edible" recipes.

I might pay CG to do this!  :D
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #102 on: August 27, 2019, 09:21:59 AM »
Bernadette made porkchops and rice last night. Sauce is "just heat up cream of mushroom soup without any added milk or water".

« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 10:38:21 AM by caribougrrl »

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #103 on: August 27, 2019, 10:52:36 AM »
**The pasta salad debate has taken on a bit of a life of it's own, so I decided it should have it's own post, not play second fiddle to Bernadette's pork chop dinner.**

This morning there is a long discussion on the best dressing for pasta salad. Early in the day, it looked like mixing half french dressing with half italian dressing would be the winner. Then mixing mayo with french dressing started to gain a lot of popularity. Then some discussion about how if you mix mayo, ketchup and mustard, it's pretty much the same as french dressing and mayo. The general idea of mayo + bottled salad dressing, however, seems quite popular.

The other direction the pasta salad discussion has taken is: okay, but what kind of meat in it? Traditionalists are arguing whether you put cubed ham or flaked ham in it.  One person feels it is context dependent, that cubed meat is fine with rotini noodles, but if you are using elbow macaroni it has to have flaked meat.Someone went rogue and suggested that SPAM is the way to go, or even pepperoni cubes.

But, back to ham, there is a secondary debate around canned ham vs. cooked ham for cubing. By cooked ham, it seems they mean unsliced deli ham.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #104 on: August 27, 2019, 11:13:10 AM »
I feel like such an anthropologist reading this thread.

Offline ihop

« Reply #105 on: August 27, 2019, 02:32:16 PM »
Wait.  Condensed cream of mushroom soup straight from the can?  Huh.

Offline bookworm1

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #106 on: August 27, 2019, 02:35:18 PM »
**The pasta salad debate has taken on a bit of a life of it's own, so I decided it should have it's own post, not play second fiddle to Bernadette's pork chop dinner.**

This morning there is a long discussion on the best dressing for pasta salad. Early in the day, it looked like mixing half french dressing with half italian dressing would be the winner. Then mixing mayo with french dressing started to gain a lot of popularity. Then some discussion about how if you mix mayo, ketchup and mustard, it's pretty much the same as french dressing and mayo. The general idea of mayo + bottled salad dressing, however, seems quite popular.

The other direction the pasta salad discussion has taken is: okay, but what kind of meat in it? Traditionalists are arguing whether you put cubed ham or flaked ham in it.  One person feels it is context dependent, that cubed meat is fine with rotini noodles, but if you are using elbow macaroni it has to have flaked meat.Someone went rogue and suggested that SPAM is the way to go, or even pepperoni cubes.

But, back to ham, there is a secondary debate around canned ham vs. cooked ham for cubing. By cooked ham, it seems they mean unsliced deli ham.

Newfoudnland kind of scares me. Or fascinates me. I see a good theme for a restaurant here.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #107 on: August 27, 2019, 02:49:51 PM »
so, the same culture of people who happily eat goulash made with tomato soup are super enthusiastic about squid season

Renee and Jonathan thought to take pictures when they went out squidding; after cleaning and salting the bulk of their haul, and freezing much of the rest of it, they stuffed some fresh squid to bake for dinner

Elizabeth cleaned 35 lbs of squid for the freezer, and rewarded herself with some fresh squid deep fried:

Shirley got some fresh squid from a neighbour and made stuffed squid, which she served with bacon wrapped bay scallops and squid and brewis* (brewis is hard bread, aka sea biscuits, you soak it, tear it into peices, the bake with onions and pork fat and some kind of sea food - usually salt cod - then top with pork scrunchions)

Myra and Troy (Troy of the scallop poutine) both also prepped stuffed squid for baking:

Joy leaves the skin on her squid when stuffing, which she says keeps the squid soft

stuffing for squid here is bread stuffing usually... either like poultry stuffing, or you make up fish-and-brewis (salt cod) and stuff that into squid, then bake long enough to cook the stuffing and bake past the rubbery stage of squid until it gets tender again

ftr - I will happily eat fried squid or stuffed squid, and I am actually optimistic about squid and brewis

Offline Schrödinger’s Bat

• The Runners
« Reply #108 on: August 27, 2019, 03:09:28 PM »
well, Beulah had some fish and potatoes with ketchup for dinner last night

Arlene had breakfast for dinner, including some fried bologna, and ketchup

Bill pimped up some velveeta cheese shells by adding some colby cheese and marinated mushrooms and sprinkling with parsley (cat seem skeptical, maybe because there's no kechup?)

on the bright side, it is the tail end of strawberry season here... lots of fresh strawberries available at U-picks, farm markets, roadside stands... and not one person in the FB group appears to have been eating strawberries... I have to assume that no one has been able to eat strawberries since that short cake bread heel substitute was posted

Our strawberry season was over in mid May. This doesn't compute!

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #109 on: August 27, 2019, 03:38:22 PM »

With all the culinary insanity happening in this thread, you're focused on the late strawberry season? :D

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #110 on: August 27, 2019, 07:41:00 PM »
dressing on fries is perfect and I want it now
Because PANTS

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #111 on: August 28, 2019, 07:51:16 AM »

we picked our first raspberries this week... we won't see any local sweet corn until mid-late September

Offline ihop

« Reply #112 on: August 28, 2019, 09:53:25 AM »
Our strawberry season is December - March   :D

I would have no problem eating the squid!  Yum!

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #113 on: August 28, 2019, 11:50:44 AM »
Our strawberry season is December - March   :D

I would have no problem eating the squid!  Yum!

I like squid too, but I fear that they might be doused in "gravy" in Newfoundland.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #114 on: August 29, 2019, 07:35:09 AM »
Love this thread.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #115 on: August 29, 2019, 08:03:45 AM »
the pasta salad discussion continues... someone said you can buy Kraft macaroni salad in a box like kraft dinner, and it's really good and easier than making up dressing but no one has really acknowledged that... the big veer in the conversation now is about dill pickle pasta salad... about four people have posted the same recipe as each other for dill pickle pasta salad... then someone asked why would you cube the cheddar but slice the pickles, why not cube everything?

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #116 on: August 29, 2019, 11:06:43 AM »
That's a good question, actually
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #117 on: August 29, 2019, 11:31:18 AM »
i've had kraft macaroni salad.  my grandfather used to keep some in the pantry at his camp.  i'm gonna hafta disagree that it's really good.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #118 on: August 29, 2019, 12:11:03 PM »
That's a good question, actually

so far:

"but pickles are round"

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #119 on: August 29, 2019, 01:12:41 PM »