Author Topic: Delicious easy weeknight dinners  (Read 1940 times)

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
Delicious easy weeknight dinners
« on: May 02, 2022, 09:21:29 PM »
I was skeptical but this was very tasty and simple.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1023104-skillet-broccoli-spaghetti

Skillet Broccoli Spaghetti

INGREDIENTS

6  garlic cloves
1 ½  pounds broccoli
¼  cup unsalted butter
4  anchovy fillets
12  ounces spaghetti (or another pasta that cooks in 10 minutes)
 Kosher salt
 ½ teaspoon red-pepper flakes
 Grated Parmesan, for serving (optional)

Step 1
Thinly slice the garlic and transfer to a large (12-inch) skillet with high sides. Cut the florets off the broccoli, keeping as much of the branch connected to the trunk as possible. Peel the trunk and cut the trunk and branches into 1/2-inch pieces. Transfer to the skillet. Roughly chop the florets so even the biggest pieces fit on a soup spoon. Leave the florets on the cutting board.

Step 2
To the skillet, add the butter and anchovies, and set over medium-high. Cook, smashing the anchovies and stirring the butter, until the garlic and broccoli are softened, 2 to 3 minutes.

Step 3
Add the spaghetti, the florets and any broccoli bits on the board, 2 teaspoons salt and the red-pepper flakes. Pour over 5 cups water. Bring to a boil over high, then cook, tossing often with tongs, until the spaghetti is al dente, 8 to 12 minutes. If the pasta is looking dry, add more water. Eat with grated Parmesan, if using.

Offline RioG

• The Runners
Re: Delicious easy weeknight dinners
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2022, 09:51:30 PM »
Haha, that's almost exactly what I had.

My version:  saute broccoli, peppers and garlic in olive oil, add soy sauce, lemon juice, maple syrup.  Toss in the noodles.

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2022, 10:02:22 PM »
Haha, that's almost exactly what I had.

My version:  saute broccoli, peppers and garlic in olive oil, add soy sauce, lemon juice, maple syrup.  Toss in the noodles.
We debated between anchovies and soy sauce. We went with anchovy paste!

Offline picote

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2022, 12:55:30 AM »
I almost started this thread, with the addition of low calorie in the title.

Tonight we did a chicken salad that was incredibly easy and still healthy. I poached a bunch of chicken breasts in the instant pot last week. Super fast and easy. Tonight we cubed up a couple, added Nancy’s yogurt and a bit of Mayo, celery, Dijon and vinegar along with a bunch of chopped dill and had it over mixed greens and doused liberally with balsamic vinegar. So good.

It’s also very good on focaccia with mixed greens and a basil/balsamic dressing, but that’s not quite as healthy.

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2022, 02:13:50 PM »
Low calorie is also good. But I like full calorie too. :D

Offline ihop

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2022, 07:33:02 AM »
That looks good.

Someone here shared a broccoli and anchovies recipe years ago. It was delish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2022, 08:49:57 AM »
tonight we are having salmon tacos... mango salsa (lots of sweet onion, a mango, jalapeno, cilantro, a bit of salt... I might squeeze some lime on that if I can find a lime for $1 or less, but it doesn't REALLY need it), pan fried salmon, corn tortillas, plain yogurt...

we probably have tacos at least once a week with some sort of fresh salsa, some sort of bean or meat or starchy veg filling

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2022, 11:23:54 AM »
limas and cannellini beans tossed with minced garlic and/or shallot and/or red onion, olive oil, salt and pepper, and perhaps some fresh thyme...  layer that on a sheet pan.  top with uncooked chix thighs which have been salted and peppered and spiced/herbed with your preferred herby spicy stuff.  cover tightly with foil and bake for 25 to 30 minutes in a moderate oven.  then remove the foil, crank the heat, and let the chix thighs brown.  serve with rice or crusty bread or a green salad.

sometimes i add a bit of vermouth when i toss the veggies into the pan, sometimes not.  ymmv
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 11:25:57 AM by witchypoo »

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2022, 12:46:00 PM »
limas and cannellini beans tossed with minced garlic and/or shallot and/or red onion, olive oil, salt and pepper, and perhaps some fresh thyme...  layer that on a sheet pan.  top with uncooked chix thighs which have been salted and peppered and spiced/herbed with your preferred herby spicy stuff.  cover tightly with foil and bake for 25 to 30 minutes in a moderate oven.  then remove the foil, crank the heat, and let the chix thighs brown.  serve with rice or crusty bread or a green salad.

sometimes i add a bit of vermouth when i toss the veggies into the pan, sometimes not.  ymmv

Sounds delicious and gas-inducing.

Offline picote

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2022, 09:37:18 PM »

Oh, this is going on my to make list for sure!

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2022, 08:10:43 AM »
Oh, this is going on my to make list for sure!

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2022, 05:23:28 PM »
I made "Chopped Salad With Chickpeas, Feta and Avocado" from the New York Times. It was easy and delicious.

I skipped the first step and didn't put the bread in the oven, but in the toaster, then drizzled with oil. Saved some time.

Offline ihop

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2022, 09:07:00 AM »
I was skeptical but this was very tasty and simple.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1023104-skillet-broccoli-spaghetti

Skillet Broccoli Spaghetti

INGREDIENTS

6  garlic cloves
1 ½  pounds broccoli
¼  cup unsalted butter
4  anchovy fillets
12  ounces spaghetti (or another pasta that cooks in 10 minutes)
 Kosher salt
 ½ teaspoon red-pepper flakes
 Grated Parmesan, for serving (optional)

Step 1
Thinly slice the garlic and transfer to a large (12-inch) skillet with high sides. Cut the florets off the broccoli, keeping as much of the branch connected to the trunk as possible. Peel the trunk and cut the trunk and branches into 1/2-inch pieces. Transfer to the skillet. Roughly chop the florets so even the biggest pieces fit on a soup spoon. Leave the florets on the cutting board.

Step 2
To the skillet, add the butter and anchovies, and set over medium-high. Cook, smashing the anchovies and stirring the butter, until the garlic and broccoli are softened, 2 to 3 minutes.

Step 3
Add the spaghetti, the florets and any broccoli bits on the board, 2 teaspoons salt and the red-pepper flakes. Pour over 5 cups water. Bring to a boil over high, then cook, tossing often with tongs, until the spaghetti is al dente, 8 to 12 minutes. If the pasta is looking dry, add more water. Eat with grated Parmesan, if using.
I made this last night. It was good and very easy.

La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2022, 05:13:03 PM »
I made this last night. It was good and very easy.

I thought so!  Glad you liked it!

+-SUPPORT US