Author Topic: "Newfie" Homestyle Cooking and Baking  (Read 60263 times)

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
"Newfie" Homestyle Cooking and Baking
« on: June 26, 2019, 01:21:56 PM »
I will save my rant about the use of the word newfie, particularly by Newfoundlanders who've moved away and only have a nostalgic relationship to this place... but...

I have been invited to join a FB group called Newfie Homestyle Cooking and Baking... with >20k members... as much as I love the spiral bound cookbooks church ladies' groups put together for fundraising, I have no interest in contributing to this group, and I am certainly not going to walk away with any good recipes.

OTOH, there are some real gems being posted every day.

Like Anita's Orange Crush Salad

and Dorothy's French Dressing Pasta Salad

and Catherine's "Goulash"

and at least 7 no-bake cheesecakes so far today...

so, the question is, do I join for the entertainment value, or just go on about my life like I don't even know this exists??

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
Re: "Newfie" Homestyle Cooking and Baking
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 01:28:38 PM »
i will admit to a certain obsession with church lady cookbooks.  my mother collects them (or she did, until her house burned to the ground - so long, cookbooks!  what a loss).  they are a great reflection of the food culture in any given area.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 01:30:21 PM »
You MUST stay. For SCIENCE!!! (And for us, of course...)

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 01:32:34 PM »
Catherine, that looks ghoulishious. 

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 01:59:58 PM »
i will admit to a certain obsession with church lady cookbooks.  my mother collects them (or she did, until her house burned to the ground - so long, cookbooks!  what a loss).  they are a great reflection of the food culture in any given area.

I also love church lady cookbooks. So much, I volunteered to put one together as a fundraiser for our community garden... the garden committee decided to apply for a grant instead, but I might try again in a couple years.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 02:00:24 PM »
I am pretty certain this is a crime against moose steak.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 02:03:14 PM »
there's a moose under all that?   :'(

Also, thanks to your first recipe I have R.E.M. in my head now
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Online Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2019, 05:44:37 PM »
I am going to Canada in two weeks for vacation. I hope the food will be better than that.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2019, 06:25:09 PM »
Confession: jello & jello salads were something I never got to eat as a kid and I LOVED. Loved loved loved loved. Jello and gummy candies are just about the only thing I "miss" about being a vegetarian.

Those pasta abominations though... holy hell.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2019, 07:02:17 PM »
I am going to Canada in two weeks for vacation. I hope the food will be better than that.

Where in Canada are you going?
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2019, 06:53:03 AM »
Confession: jello & jello salads were something I never got to eat as a kid and I LOVED. Loved loved loved loved. Jello and gummy candies are just about the only thing I "miss" about being a vegetarian.

Those pasta abominations though... holy hell.

I am also inexplicably fond of jello... but that particular version gave me sugar shock just reading the recipe. :)

Online Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2019, 07:31:08 AM »
Where in Canada are you going?

Montreal (where the food is great) and Val David in the Laurentians.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2019, 08:29:57 AM »
I think jello is okay, I would not go out of my way to eat it, but it’s fine... but just PLAIN jello. Once people start suspending other food in it, I just can’t.

My dad’s family loooooved that stuff and I remember choking down a lot of jello “salads” as a kid. Popular add ins were fruit cocktail, sliced bananas, and (this one was the worst) shredded carrots and raisins. Whhhyyyyyyyyyy?!?!?

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2019, 12:52:05 PM »
I would eat a jello salad full of fruit and whipped cream.  (There is something called a strawberry pretzel salad that is popular here that is strawberry jello and crushed pretzels and some sort of strawberry cool whip.)

I will not eat a jello salad that has mayonnaise (or miracle whip or similar) in it.  That is gross.

I do not like plain jello.

I would eat a hamburger mac or a chili mac.  I am not sure what that "goulash" is though.

The only meat that I would put ketchup on is a burger or hot dog, but normally not even that.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2019, 01:17:43 PM »

I would eat a hamburger mac or a chili mac.  I am not sure what that "goulash" is though.

I think that in most of the world, goulash is a stew.  Here, it seems to be like "homemade" hamburger helper.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2019, 01:31:05 PM »
I think that in most of the world, goulash is a stew.  Here, it seems to be like "homemade" hamburger helper.
Agreed. But, that said, I feel like my mom had a similar looking dish that she called goulash. I think it’s what people sometimes call American chop suey?

I’d probably eat any combo of beefy sauce with macaroni. That photo in the OP looks horrendous, but food photography is notoriously hard to do well. It probably tastes decent.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2019, 01:34:21 PM »

that type of goulash is very popular in franco american communities in new england - where it is called "american chop suey."

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2019, 01:34:38 PM »
Agreed. But, that said, I feel like my mom had a similar looking dish that she called goulash. I think it’s what people sometimes call American chop suey?

yes.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2019, 01:56:51 PM »
I mean, sure, red sauce & pasta is definitely something we eat. I probably wouldn't share it on a food group. But whatever.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2019, 02:22:01 PM »
I think what puts me off most about that "goulash" is the shininess.  It's like she tried to thicken a watery tomato sauce with corn starch.  :vomit:

+-SUPPORT US