Forum > Food

Chinese salted beans, maybe fermented

(1/2) > >>

Natasha:
Does anyone have experience using these? What kind of dishes do I add them to? How long do they last in storage?

The bag I bought just says salted, and in the ingredients list it says black beans (soy beans) ginger, orange peel, soy sauce and salt. It smells but in a good way.

radial:

--- Quote from: Natasha on January 30, 2023, 05:13:43 PM ---Does anyone have experience using these? What kind of dishes do I add them to? How long do they last in storage?

The bag I bought just says salted, and in the ingredients list it says black beans (soy beans) ginger, orange peel, soy sauce and salt. It smells but in a good way.

--- End quote ---

My great Uncle (old China hand) used these in cooking.  I think they would work anywhere you want to add some umami to a dish. 

Natasha:
Did he mash them up? Rinse before using? Did he keep them in the fridge? Would they work in any kind of cuisine or mainly Asian?

I've found a couple of recipes I'd like to try to get the hang of it.

radial:

--- Quote from: Natasha on January 30, 2023, 07:37:34 PM ---Did he mash them up? Rinse before using? Did he keep them in the fridge? Would they work in any kind of cuisine or mainly Asian?

I've found a couple of recipes I'd like to try to get the hang of it.

--- End quote ---

He definitely mashed them up.  They were the base for a sauce that went on various dishes.  But they turned up whole in some things he made.  Not sure about rinsing or refrigeration.  I think they would work for lots of things, not just Asian food. 

Natasha:
I made this

https://thewoksoflife.com/spicy-black-bean-twice-cooked-potatoes/

Exactly according to the recipe, and loved it. Great vegan option. I like strong and spicy flavors, so YMMV. It's spicy and a little funky.

And I love the fermented black beans. They remind me a little of fish sauce.

ETA, it was too funky for DH. Not surprising since he doesn't like fish sauce.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version