Author Topic: Pressure Canning  (Read 1374 times)

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
Pressure Canning
« on: August 08, 2020, 08:03:04 AM »
So I just bit the bullet and bought a pressure canner online. OMG it was SO HARD to find one and ebay had them at 3-10x the cost. Weird pandemic problems. I have always used a water bath but I want to start canning things that are low acid foods (peaches, etc) and know that pressure canning is the safest way to do with without adding things to my foods I do not want to add. Any recipes of things you like to pressure can? I am open as I have lots of time on my hand.

I have a question. The pressure canner may take a week or more to arrive, if i make tomato sauce this weekend, can i freeze it, then thaw it, then pressure can it? If not I can just freeze it and can the next batch.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
Re: Pressure Canning
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2020, 02:40:26 PM »
Today is canning day! I will open the canner shortly. I am going to can beets and sauce. I will water bath can pickles and pickled carrots.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2020, 08:11:49 AM »
The beets took forever to boil, blanche, peel, chop and then can. 35 minutes i think in the pressure canner once it came to pressure. The the sauce. never got around to the pickled veg.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2020, 08:18:35 AM »
Exciting! My only disappointment in the instant pot is that you can’t do canning in it.

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2020, 08:20:45 AM »
Can you water bath beets?  My mom used to can beets, but maybe they were pickled.  I don't remember a pressure canner.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2020, 09:20:18 AM »
Can you water bath beets?  My mom used to can beets, but maybe they were pickled.  I don't remember a pressure canner.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Water bath pickled beets, pressure can non pickled. These were hot water packed. Pressure canning is for low acid foods which gets hotter internally via the pressure canning method, water and steam canning cannot get the contents hot enough to kill of botulism spores. What i did not realize is that you cannot pressure cook EVERYTHING, it will destroy some things that are best water canned because they will get too soft/mushy.

And btw canning supplies are sold out everywhere. My neighbor made the rounds in Amish country yesterday after all local stores were empty and found me wide mouth lids and one case of wide mouth pints, everything else sold out. His son also lives in Amish country and thinks he can get regular mouth lids for us.

+-SUPPORT US